Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand-off outside Jamaican Consulate in NY tomorrow

Credits

Stand-off outside Jamaican Consulate in NY tomorrow

I dont know if anyone heard about this but thousands of people are expected to attend a demonstration tomorrow Friday April 15th with some protesting against Jamaica's laws which ban homosexuality, but they will be faced by counter-protestors who want to keep the laws as they are.

The Jamaican Consulate in New York (3rd Ave between E.47 St & E.48 St) will be the scene of a mass rally of students and human rights activists lobbying for the Jamaican government to repeal its law which bans sodomy.

Around 1,500 people are expected to turn out to the protest on Friday, which has been organized by a local Amnesty International group.

Kevin Mouchantaf who is one of the organizers said that the purpose of their rally was about highlighting human rights abuses against homosexuals, not about imposing the gay lifestyle on anyone.

But in response to this, a counter demonstration will also be held outside the Consulate building by Jamaicans and others who want to ensure the country’s law is upheld.

Bishop Cecil Riley of the Freedom Hall Church of God in Brooklyn will be leading the counter demonstration.

He said that homosexuality is an “unnatural act… I’m basing [my comments] not on the Bible or religion but on common decency.”

Many "dollar vans" in the Flatbush area are volunteering their services to take anyone who want to go.

The Jamaican Consulate responded to the gay rights protest with a statement from Burchell Whiteman, the island’s Minister of Information which was published in 2004.

It said that the Jamaican government, “welcomes dialogue in these circumstances rather than public confrontation” and stressed that the government is also “opposed to violence against all persons and will continue to protect the rights of all citizens”.

However, the statement continued, “We also as the duly elected representatives of the people feel that it is the people who must set our agenda in respect of the legislation which we pass or the repeal of any existing laws.

We are certainly not about to respond to any organization, external to this country, which may want to dictate to us how and when to deal with the laws of our land.”

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodyguard
    I dont know if anyone heard about this but thousands of people are expected to attend a demonstration tomorrow Friday April 15th with some protesting against Jamaica's laws which ban homosexuality, but they will be faced by counter-protestors who want to keep the laws as they are.

The Jamaican Consulate in New York (3rd Ave between E.47 St & E.48 St) will be the scene of a mass rally of students and human rights activists lobbying for the Jamaican government to repeal its law which bans sodomy.

Around 1,500 people are expected to turn out to the protest on Friday, which has been organized by a local Amnesty International group.

Kevin Mouchantaf who is one of the organizers said that the purpose of their rally was about highlighting human rights abuses against homosexuals, not about imposing the gay lifestyle on anyone.

But in response to this, a counter demonstration will also be held outside the Consulate building by Jamaicans and others who want to ensure the country’s law is upheld.

Bishop Cecil Riley of the Freedom Hall Church of God in Brooklyn will be leading the counter demonstration.

He said that homosexuality is an “unnatural act… I’m basing [my comments] not on the Bible or religion but on common decency.”

Many "dollar vans" in the Flatbush area are volunteering their services to take anyone who want to go.

The Jamaican Consulate responded to the gay rights protest with a statement from Burchell Whiteman, the island’s Minister of Information which was published in 2004.

It said that the Jamaican government, “welcomes dialogue in these circumstances rather than public confrontation” and stressed that the government is also “opposed to violence against all persons and will continue to protect the rights of all citizens”.

However, the statement continued, “We also as the duly elected representatives of the people feel that it is the people who must set our agenda in respect of the legislation which we pass or the repeal of any existing laws.

We are certainly not about to respond to any organization, external to this country, which may want to dictate to us how and when to deal with the laws of our land.”

My friend and I were thinking of going to macco...that ought to be quite a spectacle...

Credits
    Can you believe these people?!?!?! Why dem don't focus on them own country and leff my country alone?!?!?! Go protest dih war in Iraq or something man!!! Sheesh!

Toppa_Toppa
    Ah hope dey buss up dem protestors head! Dey too fass with deyself. Want tuh put pressure on a sovereign nation tuh change dey laws when nobody cyar tell America notten...wha de jail.

Credits

This is really the point here. I totally disagree with any law that dictates what people can do sexually in the privacy of their own dwelling, but outsiders should not be the ones to change the laws. Let the Jamaican people lobby their own governemt for change if that is what they want.

Credits
    ...they ACTUALLY want a law 2 ban HOMO's? LAWD!! Waz d consequenc..put dem in jail? Dem gay fellas go like dat anywayssss..yuh aint see wah does be going on in jail ah wat? Steups
    *Insert cool saying here*

Kiz
    Credits

.... Jamaicans protesting........hope a war dont break out..........I staying far
    Last edited by Kiz; 04-14-2005 at 08:47 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by fiyah
    Can you believe these people?!?!?! Why dem don't focus on them own country and leff my country alone?!?!?! Go protest dih war in Iraq or something man!!! Sheesh!

My feelings exactly.

Ilandfntsy thats why I'll be there counter protesting

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama_trini
    ...they ACTUALLY want a law 2 ban HOMO's? LAWD!! Waz d consequenc..put dem in jail? Dem gay fellas go like dat anywayssss..yuh aint see wah does be going on in jail ah wat? Steups
    The law does not ban homosexuality but instead bans "buggery" defined as anal penetration. It is not gener specific but no male/female pair has been prosecuted for acts of buggery. So homosexuals see it as a way of targetting them in particular.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinikiz
    1,500 Jamaicans protesting........hope a war dont break out..........I staying far

It'll be mostly Jamaicans counter protesting. As far as I understand the PROTESTERS aint our people dem.

Credits
    The law does not ban homosexuality but instead bans "buggery" defined as anal penetration. It is not gener specific but no male/female pair has been prosecuted for acts of buggery. So homosexuals see it as a way of targetting them in particular.
    So half dem men dem in jail have no chance of getting out den? Cause them commiting crime inside ah jail
    *Insert cool saying here*

Kiz
    Credits
    It'll be mostly Jamaicans counter protesting. As far as I understand the PROTESTERS aint our people dem.

ah juss hope it stay peaceful

Credits
    I was just going to comment on that. The law is a pack of bullshit! You think the police are going to arrest a man and woman who are consentually engaging in anal sex? Ya right. It is a law that essentially makes being homosexual a crime and it is a human rights abuse and it is unfair, but outsiders need to keep out of it. Outsiders do not have the right to tell JA how to run their country even if it is backward and unfair.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama_trini
    So half dem men dem in jail have no chance of getting out den? Cause them commiting crime inside ah jail
    The act rarely enforced. It is really only enforced in rape cases when the person is being charged for rape, assault and battery, and buggery or sodomy.

The gays are just using it as another soap box as usual. Poor yardies.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy
    I was just going to comment on that. The law is a pack of bullshit! You think the police are going to arrest a man and woman who are consentually engaging in anal sex? Ya right. It is a law that essentially makes being homosexual a crime and it is a human rights abuse and it is unfair, but outsiders need to keep out of it. Outsiders do not have the right to tell JA how to run their country even if it is backward and unfair.
    The law makes anal sex a crime ... but the law has only been enforced during rape trials when a man has raped another man.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast