Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 122
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: St. Lucia Zouks Should change their name

  1. #1
    Real Patriot Klang's Avatar Klang is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,757
    Credits
    1,715,063

    St. Lucia Zouks Should change their name

    would anybody be able to put me in contact who is responsible for naming the team, i know some on here must be able to point me in de right direction. real talk.
    i only promote dominica's culture...who vex loss.........

  2. #2
    Real Patriot Klang's Avatar Klang is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,757
    Credits
    1,715,063
    bump
    i only promote dominica's culture...who vex loss.........

  3. #3
    Earth Angel dollbabi's Avatar dollbabi is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    36,627
    Credits
    74,804,093
    Why is that?

  4. #4
    Real Patriot Klang's Avatar Klang is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,757
    Credits
    1,715,063
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    Why is that?
    disrespectful and misleading, question how would you feel if jamaica called their team soca warriors?
    i only promote dominica's culture...who vex loss.........

  5. #5
    Norman SWAGGERIFIC is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    17,206
    Credits
    101,493,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Klang View Post
    disrespectful and misleading, question how would you feel if jamaica called their team soca warriors?
    JA will never do that cuz they are the land of Reggae, and no one can call demselfs Soca Warriors cuz its reserved already for the Land of Soca.
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

  6. #6
    Earth Angel dollbabi's Avatar dollbabi is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    36,627
    Credits
    74,804,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Klang View Post
    disrespectful and misleading, question how would you feel if jamaica called their team soca warriors?
    interesting.

    ...not really sure if ii would feel any way as so many caribbean islands have adopted soca as their own.

  7. #7
    Norman SWAGGERIFIC is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    17,206
    Credits
    101,493,621
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    interesting.

    ...not really sure if ii would feel any way as so many caribbean islands have adopted soca as their own.
    I actually dont have a problem with them adopting whatever, i have a problem with their downright disdain for the roots and their lack of paying homage

    other than that, if they lacking culture we can share



    with regards to this zouk thing, i dont know
    A.K.K.S. likes this.
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

  8. #8
    Real Patriot Klang's Avatar Klang is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,757
    Credits
    1,715,063
    you trinis would not care as much because trinidad have their name already. but for a lesser known island like ourself is different. lucia who has no link to the genre to claim it is unethical. poor decision and research by whoever responsible. but lets be honest, if a more popular island like jamaica started claiming soca, and especially claiming it on an official level like this, im sure many of you would have something to say...
    i only promote dominica's culture...who vex loss.........

  9. #9
    Norman SWAGGERIFIC is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    17,206
    Credits
    101,493,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Klang View Post
    you trinis would not care as much because trinidad have their name already. but for a lesser known island like ourself is different. lucia who has not link to the genre to claim it is unethical. poor decision and research by whoever responsible. but lets be honest, if a more popular island like jamaica started claiming soca, and especially claiming it on an official level like this, im sure many of you would have something to say...
    UR island is not lesser known at at all, but I taught Zouk was from Guadeloupe?
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

  10. #10
    Real Patriot Klang's Avatar Klang is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,757
    Credits
    1,715,063
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    UR island is not lesser known at at all, but I taught Zouk was from Guadeloupe?
    it is lesser known globally compared to the others.

    Kassav' was formed in 1979 by Pierre-Edouard Décimus (former musicians from the Les Vikings de Guadeloupe) and Paris studio musician Jacob F. Desvarieux. Together and under the influence of well-known Dominican and Guadeloupean kadans or compas bands like Experience 7, Grammacks and Exile One, they decided to make Guadeloupean carnival music and record it in a more fully orchestrated yet modern and polished style. In the 1980s they took Caribbean music to another level by recording in the new digital format.

    basically zouk come from guadeloupe and dominica and was later fine tuned in martinique guadeloupe. but the base of the genre lays in dominica and guadeloupe.
    i only promote dominica's culture...who vex loss.........

  11. #11
    Norman SWAGGERIFIC is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    17,206
    Credits
    101,493,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Klang View Post
    it is lesser known globally compared to the others.

    Kassav' was formed in 1979 by Pierre-Edouard Décimus (former musicians from the Les Vikings de Guadeloupe) and Paris studio musician Jacob F. Desvarieux. Together and under the influence of well-known Dominican and Guadeloupean kadans or compas bands like Experience 7, Grammacks and Exile One, they decided to make Guadeloupean carnival music and record it in a more fully orchestrated yet modern and polished style. In the 1980s they took Caribbean music to another level by recording in the new digital format.

    basically zouk come from guadeloupe and dominica and was later fine tuned in martinique guadeloupe. but the base of the genre lays in dominica and guadeloupe.
    SO why is St Lucia basically stealing ur stuff?

    yo i hate when some of these islands do this, and their brass face with it
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

  12. #12
    Norman SWAGGERIFIC is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    17,206
    Credits
    101,493,621
    so St Lucia pays homage to yall?
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

  13. #13
    Real Patriot Klang's Avatar Klang is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,757
    Credits
    1,715,063
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    SO why is St Lucia basically stealing ur stuff?

    yo i hate when some of these islands do this, and their brass face with it
    its me you asking? one lucian told me on here because they play it a lot on their island, and it has become an important addition to their island they can claim it. i said i disagree, you can only claim something that is indigenous to your island. for example reggae is played nuff in trinidad from the day reggae was born, but would trinis ever mention and promote reggae as their culture? because lucians happen to speak creole (also note their creole is different than ours, but that is for different thread), many assume they have the same culture as us in french caribbean. but in reality that is false. by that logic because bajans or grenadian antiguans etc speak english like trinis, barbados or grenadians have the same culture as trinidad and claim soca?
    i only promote dominica's culture...who vex loss.........

  14. #14
    Norman SWAGGERIFIC is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    17,206
    Credits
    101,493,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Klang View Post
    its me you asking? one lucian told me on here because they play it a lot on their island, and it has become an important addition to their island they can claim it. i said i disagree, you can only claim something that is indigenous to your island. for example reggae is played nuff in trinidad from the day reggae was born, but would trinis ever mention and promote reggae as their culture? because lucians happen to speak creole (also note their creole is different than ours, but that is for different thread), many assume they have the same culture as us in french caribbean. but in reality that is false. by that logic because bajans or grenadian antiguans etc speak english like trinis, barbados or grenadians have the same culture as trinidad and claim soca?
    well St Lucia and Dominica is like twins in the Caribbean i guess, dats how people see it, because of the whole English/French dual culture. even if they have Zouk stars and even if they contributed to the Genre of Zouk, they cannot claim it as theirs..it will always belong to the root, but they can enjoy it because at the end of the day its Caribbean music, but do they have an original music of their own?
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

  15. #15
    Real Patriot Klang's Avatar Klang is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,757
    Credits
    1,715,063
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    well St Lucia and Dominica is like twins in the Caribbean i guess, dats how people see it, because of the whole English/French dual culture. even if they have Zouk stars and even if they contributed to the Genre of Zouk, they cannot claim it as theirs..it will always belong to the root, but they can enjoy it because at the end of the day its Caribbean music, but do they have an original music of their own?
    st lucia and dominica is not twins, thats another misleading fact. if any island is our twin it is guadeloupe. yes we have similarities but many differences, for one in relation to this thread st lucia is much more Anglicized musically than us. even look at our carnivals, lucia bringin down machel montano as a main act, have big soca monarch etc, their carnival falls in the summer with the other english islands, while ours is the original date like the other creole islands. we are in between two french creole islands unlike lucia, the french influence will obviously be more strong. my issue is never with anybody using or playing our music, it s always about credit. st lucia should never name their team zouks as they have not created or developed the genre.
    SWAGGERIFIC likes this.
    i only promote dominica's culture...who vex loss.........

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •