Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Spirituality can mess up mind, study finds

Credits

Arrow Spirituality can mess up mind, study finds

Spirituality can mess up mind, study finds
    January 2, 2013, 1:02 pm
    John von Radowitz - AAP

People who are spiritual but not conventionally religious are more likely to suffer mental demons, according to a UK study.

Being spiritual may give life deeper meaning but it can also mess up your mind, research suggests.

A study found that people professing to be spiritual, but not conventionally religious, were more likely to suffer from a host of mental challenges.

Their demons included abnormal eating conditions, drug abuse, anxiety disorder, phobias and neurosis.

They were also more likely than others to be taking medication for mental health problems.

Professor Michael King, from University College London, and his fellow researchers wrote in the British Journal of Psychiatry: "Our main finding is that people who had a spiritual understanding of life had worse mental health than those with an understanding that was neither religious nor spiritual."

The study was based on a survey of 7403 randomly selected men and women in England who were questioned about their spiritual and religious beliefs, and mental state.

Of the participants, 35 per cent described themselves as "religious", meaning they attended a church, mosque, synagogue or temple. The vast majority of this group (86 per cent) were Christian.

A further 19 per cent claimed to have spiritual beliefs or experiences without following a specific religion, while 46 per cent were neither religious nor spiritual.

More than nine out of 10 were white British, with an average age of 46.

Of the different groups, spiritual people were 50 per cent more likely to have a generalised anxiety disorder and 72 per cent more likely to suffer from a phobia.

They also had a 77 per cent higher chance of being dependent on drugs and were 37 per cent more at risk of neurotic disorder.

Spirituality was also associated with a 40 per cent greater likelihood of receiving treatment with psychotropic drugs.

Individuals of religious faith and those with none experienced equal levels of mental problems, the study found. But there were fewer problems with drugs or alcohol among the faithful.

Unlike some American studies, the new research found no clear relationship between religious belief and happiness.

One recent large internet study in the US reported that non-religious people with spiritual beliefs were emotionally less stable than other groups. However, they made up only two per cent of the study sample.

The researchers wrote: "We conclude that there is increasing evidence that people who profess spiritual beliefs in the absence of a religious framework are more vulnerable to mental disorder.

"The nature of this association needs greater examination in qualitative and in prospective quantitative research."

Author John von Radowitz

Spirituality can mess up mind, study finds

Credits
    But I thought religious people are spiritual aswell...

Credits
    Interesting on soooo many levels

I think the title of the article is not what the article states. The article did not say spiritually was the cause of the mental illness

a lot of people like to throw this "I am spiritual not religious" stuff around I have always given people the side eye who say this. Lol

And "mess up the mind" is so unscientific lol

Credits
    The nature of this association needs greater examination in qualitative and in prospective quantitative research."

Credits
    The study is interesting to me as well although I do wonder about the breadth of the group defined as spiritual.

Quote Originally Posted by Teatre View Post
    But I thought religious people are spiritual aswell...
    Yes, but religious people usually believe that the former term (religious) encompasses the latter (spiritual), making them both.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    Interesting on soooo many levels

I think the title of the article is not what the article states. The article did not say spiritually was the cause of the mental illness

a lot of people like to throw this "I am spiritual not religious" stuff around I have always given people the side eye who say this. Lol

And "mess up the mind" is so unscientific lol
    Why do you give them the side eye? Religous people are spirtual people in essence, but "spiritual" people do not pertain to any religion. Of course, growing up in a Anglo Caribbean household I am inclined to believe in "christian values" but I also draw inspiration from Taoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism beliefs.

Credits
    The nature of this association needs greater examination in qualitative and in prospective quantitative research."
    Agreed. Good points in your other post as well.

Credits
    And what about those people who hide their "mental demons" behind the guise of "religion". I know plenty that will blow these findings out of the water.
    ladyrastafari likes this.

Credits
    Why do you give them the side eye? Religous people are spirtual people in essence, but "spiritual" people do not pertain to any religion. Of course, growing up in a Anglo Caribbean household I am inclined to believe in "christian values" but I also draw inspiration from Taoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism beliefs.

True on religious people are spiritual....

This study is interesting and generates lots of questions like what u raise

But it's just that in my experience people throw this "spiritual" thing around and it's kind of vague and often they bash religion or the church.

Explaining may require more typing than I can do right now lol

Credits
    And what about those people who hide their "mental demons" behind the guise of "religion". I know plenty that will blow these findings out of the water.
    Not sure about that. Wouldnt that have come out in the survey to some degree?

Credits
    True on religious people are spiritual....

This study is interesting and generates lots of questions like what u raise

But it's just that in my experience people throw this "spiritual" thing around and it's kind of vague and often they bash religion or the church.

Explaining may require more typing than I can do right now lol
    We are >>>here<<< regarding the bashing and such, which does make these findings thought-provoking.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Vega View Post
    Not sure about that. Wouldnt that have come out in the survey to some degree?
    Its not something that people will admit so I doubt it would have. That's why you have to be careful with statistics. As my tutor once said "statistics are like bikinis: they show a lot but not everything".

Selecting 7,403 people out of a population that lays in the millions is inconclusive in my opinion.

Credits
    Its not something that people will admit so I doubt it would have. That's why you have to be careful with statistics. As my tutor once said "statistics are like bikinis: they show a lot but not everything".

Selecting 7,403 people out of a population that lays in the millions is inconclusive in my opinion.
    Lots of people don't admit to such things and hide them under the guise of somethig else, so imo, those people would probably cancel out when removed from each group.

Credits
    The study acknowledges further research like a lot of studies do

How do u hide mental illness..?
    . There has to be an objective way to measure to validate the study

I think the problem is this " I am spiritual" ting. Too many people just say that.... Religion kind of gives you boundaries . You can be doing anything and claim to be spiritual. Lol.

on Sunday morning a religious person is off to church. You get Someone partying all night get up to a drink and if you question them they say i am spiritual lol

Credits

Statistics is a science and they have a formula to determine sample size to give the numbers validity.

Stats exist because you will never be able to test millions.....

Look at drug discovery they only test some to know if the drug is effective

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast