Thread: Spinoff:Blacks And Technology Myth

Credits

Spinoff:Blacks And Technology Myth

Race and technology are two of the most powerful motifs in American history, but until recently they have not often been considered in relation to each other. This collection of essays examines the intersection of the two in a variety of social and technological contexts, pointing out, as the subtitle (borrowed from Brooke Hindle's classic 1966 work Early American Technology) puts it, the "needs and opportunities for study."

The essays challenge what editor Bruce Sinclair calls the "myth of black disingenuity"—the historical perception that black people were technically incompetent. Enslaved Africans actually brought with them the techniques of rice cultivation that proved so profitable to their white owners, and antebellum iron working in the South depended heavily on blacks' craft skills. The essays document the realities of black technical creativity—in catalogs of patented inventiveness, in the use of "invisible technologies" such as sea chanteys, and in the mastery of complex new technologies. But the book also explores the economic and social functions of the disingenuity myth, and therefore its persistence. African-Americans often saw in new technologies a means to escape racial prejudice, but white Americans used them just as often to re-frame the boundaries of social behavior. The essays show that technologies and racialized thought are much more tightly connected than we have imagined.

Published in cooperation with the Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation at the Smithsonian Institution
    Jewelstix, you think this thread would get replies?

lol

Credits
    You seet?

Credits
    This is a very important article opti I never really looked at it that way

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sankofaa View Post
    This is a very important article opti I never really looked at it that way
    I think I'm going to purchase the book. There is even a mention of how blacks were unable to get patents. This is research done by technology historians. It's published by the MIT press, so you know that it has some validity.

Credits
    I don't know why they even bother, knowing that black inventions, in part, pioneered the world into what we know it today - and beyond. The majority of our inventions where out of surviving necessity hence becoming permenant 'infustructure' in our lives. The black man did his own research and development, planning and designing, construction and assembling, [No marketing necessary]... the entire process from thought to in use. Black inventions have been dated back to the 1700s (the earliest I am aware of), not including those that were stolen.

I also don't know why they even bother writing about it expecially when the today black man does not read, apart from the fact that they are already ignorant to their own history (apart from MLK, M-X, Rosa parks, Obama, Biggie smalls and Pac). So yes, we do need more articles and books, rather than promote literacy and awareness.

Credits
    interesting,

im not big on technology, (im better with numbers) so i never viewed in this way,or even thought to imply any racial components to it...
    From you have life you have everyting
    Dem couldn't stop my breath
    Can't take my life
    Jah loves me so
    Can't take my soul
    I'm going back for everything and more
    I'm unstoppable

Credits
    Good post

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by KimmyK View Post
    interesting,

im not big on technology, (im better with numbers) so i never viewed in this way,or even thought to imply any racial components to it...
    numbers and technology coincide. lol