Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Town Ambushed!

Credits

Spanish Town Ambushed!

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ead/lead1.html

UNDER FIRE - Spn Town Cops Ambushed, Station Torched, Schools & Businesses Closed, Roads Blocked

Grey columns of smoke rise from burning tyres yesterday as residents of communities affiliated to the People's National Party blocked several sections of the Spanish Town Bypass to demonstrate against the killing of Donovan 'Bulbie' Bennett.

MAYHEM GRIPPED Spanish Town, St. Catherine, in its deadly embrace yesterday as angry protests and running gun battles between armed thugs and the police forced the lockdown of most schools, shuttered businesses in the area and led to the shooting death of one woman.

The protests were triggered by the shooting death of reputed People's National Party-affiliated 'Clansman' leader Donovan 'Bulbie' Bennett during a joint police military operation in Rock River, Clarendon, on Sunday. Bennett had been a regular fixture on the police most wanted list for more than 10 years.

Yesterday morning, anarchy reigned in Jamaica's old capital as motorists, chased by intermittent bursts of gunfire, were forced to take evasive action as they attempted to navigate roads which were blocked with burning debris for more than three hours.

Up to late yesterday evening, streets remained largely deserted, although Jamaica Defence Force soldiers and a team from the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) had cleared many roads of debris, old cars and tree stumps.

However, during the day, sporadic gunfire, fiery roadblocks, shell-shocked motorists, and armed thugs attacking the police were the central theme of a 24-hour period of anarchy in the Old Capital.

On Sunday night, members of the Clansman gang orchestrated attacks on the police in retaliation for 'Bulbie's death. Three policemen were shot in three separate incidents between Sunday night and yesterday morning. At a few minutes before 11 p.m. on Sunday, a police constable was shot and injured at the Jose Marti roundabout while travelling in his private car. Policemen, responding to the constable's distress call, were en route to that location, when gunmen ambushed the police party on the Spanish Town bypass. A shootout ensued, and one cop was injured.

AMBUSHED

Earlier that night, a police party, responding to reports that the police command post in the bus park was under attack, was ambushed on White Church Street by a group of gunmen. No one was injured. At 8:30 p.m., a Pajero service vehicle driven by an inspector of police, attached to St. Mary, was raked with bullets while he was driving on the Spanish Town bypass in the vicinity of March Pen Road. He escaped unharmed.

On Monday, a policeman was shot and injured in Dela Vega City, reportedly by 'friendly fire' from his colleagues on patrol in the area.

"From the death of 'Bulbie,' it is clear that the police have been targetted," Assistant Commissioner of Police Arthur 'Stitch' Martin said.

10 PERSONS ARRESTED

He confirmed that 10 persons were arrested yesterday and charged with breaches of the National Solid Waste Management Act.

"I've encouraged people who have been calling me to stay off the streets, Rivoli, Dela Vega City...I can't do anything about the roadblocks, if they choose to put themselves in harm, they choose to pay the price, they must allow the police to get their job done," Member of Parliament for South Central St. Catherine, Sharon Hay Webster, said, yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon, Dandrita Johnson, a 34 year-old businesswoman was shot and killed in Thompson Pen, allegedly by the police.

Credits
    My prayers are with all those affected...and with JA on a whole.

Credits
    :
    My ex and his fam is there

Credits
    Mannnn, ARYO CRAZEEE in ah JAMDOWN.

Ah GUD ting me LEFT me ST. CATHERINE GYAL, cause arle now me wud have been FRETTING.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA
    Mannnn, ARYO CRAZEEE in ah JAMDOWN.

Ah GUD ting me LEFT me ST. CATHERINE GYAL, cause arle now me wud have been FRETTING.

you are a fool

I have a friend who is there right now.... he had his cutlass next to his desk in his office..... :

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinibaje
    you are a fool

I have a friend who is there right now.... he had his cutlass next to his desk in his office..... :

Damn SHAME when a PERSON has to BRING a CUTLASS to their OFFICE for PROTECTION.

Credits
    I've been following these news stories out of Jamaica---

---and it seems as though a segment of the Jamaican population are REJECTING leadership from the hand me down Democratic Institutions of their Colonial Masters......

........and are instead opting for Leadership provided by Warlords.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by marabunta
    I've been following these news stories out of Jamaica---

---and it seems as though a segment of the Jamaican population are REJECTING leadership from the hand me down Democratic Institutions of their Colonial Masters......

........and are instead opting for Leadership provided by Warlords.
    Mannn, this post sounds like you're tawking bout MEDIEVAL time or certain societal aspects of Africa today.

Credits
    Hearing things like this really upset me...........

Jamaica dont need any negative images ....... especially when it like alot of us depend on Tourism....one bad advisory and everyone will be worst off
    We going from Sun til Sun.......

Credits
    Mannn, this post sounds like you're tawking bout MEDIEVAL time or certain societal aspects of Africa today.
    , i was thinking the same thing

Credits
    It's really a very beautiful country. This doesn't happen all the time.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahpikne

True....

riots can happen anywhere but the reason behind it is what have me baffled
    We going from Sun til Sun.......

In My Own Space Trying To Keep The Balance
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahpikne

not dissing ja because i have more ja freinds than grenadians, but i am affraid to go there. its too crazy. the only safe places on the island appears to be the resorts. i don't care about no dam resort, i want to go to some hardcore dance in country bu i fear for my life. my friend said i'll be safe once i'm with him, but it seems to wild over there. maybe one day i'll get the courage and check the place out. but is it really that bad in the city and country. is the only safe place for a foriegner is in the resorts?

Credits

Damn SHAME when a PERSON has to BRING a CUTLASS to their OFFICE for PROTECTION.
    never bring a "knife" to a gun fight ...

truth is it isnt even funny... the mind stresses of such a situation ....what your friend shoud do (trini) is stay home, as should all his co-workers and those who work in and around "Spain" and let the Govt know that they are NOT having this bull...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Apple
    True....

riots can happen anywhere but the reason behind it is what have me baffled
    last week the police killed one of the leaders of the gang in Spanish Town the guy was on JA most wanted list for over 10 years.
    Last edited by Jahpikne; 11-02-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast