Thread: Sound Clash Massive ...Come In : David Radigan Vs Tony." Downbeat " Screw

Credits

Sound Clash Massive ...Come In : David Radigan Vs Tony." Downbeat " Screw

Sound Clash Massive ...Come In : David Radigan Vs Tony." Downbeat " Screw

" The True Ghetto Story "

King of Kings of the Dubplates....bless every time !

Finally after 40 years they finally met.... Father David Radigan Vs Father Downbeat in Brooklyn April '06

If you don't know In a sound system clash you would play your vocal version first. Then you would lift it up, your DJ would be on the mic, and you would play part two, the dub version. The DJ would either chant over it or you would play the raw rhythm on its own. The dubs you had were exclusive and you would spend your last buck on a dub! You would work hard all week and pump all your money into cutting dubs. You would fly to Jamaica to cut dubs! These were exclusive recordings that no one else could play, which you could use in a sound system contest to win. So it was all about exclusivity.

They would literally string up four sound systems on a lawn in downtown Kingston, Rockport, up in Montego Bay, wherever. A sound system clash was taken very, very seriously. It would start with half-hour turns, then they would play 15 minute turns and then it would boil down to one for one. Originally, when they played these clashes, they would play white labels, exclusive dub mixes. The contests became more and more exclusive, they started making dubs with their name called in it. They would go to the artist and say: "I need you to re-record that song for me, calling my name." They would then go into a sound system clash with these exclusive dubs, which no other soundsystem could play because it had your name in it. It then got to the stage that, if your name wasn't in the dub, then you couldn't be included in the clash. Now we are talking about exclusivity beyond belief!

Father Downbeat took the first two set.... I felt that Downbeat selector was missing the mixes and pulling up too soon, but in the end " Dub Fi Dub " or " One Fi One " Father Radigon " touch him " or Mash him up.....

The Man The Legend David Radigan from UK is clearly one of the industry's most respected selectors. Getting his start on radio in England decades ago, David Rodigan is a legendary force. His knowledge and skills transcend time, allowing him to always be a vicious contender. The selector is making a triumphant return to the Death Before Dishonor stage. The man mash up nuff set from UK to Japan...back down to Jamaica..... Radigon " touch them ."

Tony " Downbeat Screw form Kingston , Jamaica : In the Jamaican tradition, this scene was centered around locally-run sound systems, and of these, the sound now known as Downbeat the Ruler (originally called Downbeat International) has proved to be the most enduring. Founded in the seventies by selector Tony Screw, Downbeat rapidly became not only a regional force, but one that could compete with the strongest sounds from Jamaica. Downbeat maintains what is quite possibly the deepest, heaviest collection of exclusive foundation dubplates in the world, a record box only rivaled by a small handful of other long-established sounds.

Check out the Clash : also listen to the " Dubplate by Baby Sham on the " Ghetto Story ( 85 riddim ) for Radigon...wicked....

Radigan into

Track1

Sham''s dubplate for Radigon

next track

Downbeat's Intro

Track 1

Check this article out... clearly , in my humble opinion what makes reggae music so appealing world wide : SoundClash

http://www.jamworldreggae.com/sounds/sounds.htm see the part about : The Climax " Dub Fi Dub "

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/T...act_session=19

http://www.dubplates.co.uk/dubplates_mp3_shop/
    http://www.soundclash.org/html/en/read/
    Last edited by socapineman; 06-05-2006 at 11:03 PM.

Credits
    I see, thanks for the history on that, so that is what the maddness is all about, chanting on the mic that is, yes that tune by Sham is pure fure, now are the special mixes for sale ?

Credits
    Thanks

Credits
    i was so vex i missed this...tho c-pac is a death trap, i woulda dealt with it for that clash...

Credits
    Not getting any sound from the link but I'll go out and buy the cds

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahpikne
    where from??

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinifrombx
    I see, thanks for the history on that, so that is what the maddness is all about, chanting on the mic that is, yes that tune by Sham is pure fure, now are the special mixes for sale ?

As far as i know, the dubplates ( remixes ) are not for sale....unless the selector put out a cd with the sound clash....they, the selectors pay a lot of money to get these remixes done...another source of funds for top reggae artistes.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by south'oman
    i was so vex i missed this...tho c-pac is a death trap, i woulda dealt with it for that clash...

This even was billed as " The Most Decent Clash " .... I mean if you have grown ass man in there late fifties...talking about busting guns...and pum pum....then we have a problem....far from that ....these are two of the biggest " selectors " in the business....it is nothing but respect between them.... I will only attend decent events like these....

you can buy the DVD or the cds at Utica ave..... the store is next to Bobby's Dept store.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahpikne

Something wrong with your settings...work perfect.....