Thread: Are some aspects of caribbean culture against christianity?

Are some aspects of caribbean culture against christianity?

like wining/wukking up, carnival, calypso, soca etc. do you think that it is inappropriate to enjoy such things as a christian?

because at my church there was an evening celebrating african traditions and some Nigerian women started wining as part of their traditional dance and even though nobody said it, it was clear that the europeans thought it was indecent

Another time a woman in my church was sharing her experience of working as a missionary in Brazil and she said she did not go to see the carnival as it is the devils work

The responses should be interesting......

Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    The responses should be interesting......
    +1

Official Winin' criminal Soca_Loving_Trini's Avatar Soca_Loving_Trini is offline
    So why nobody reply yet lol. Well for me as a christian I love my carnival and like they say all things in moderation. To me wining isnt a sin, at least I dont see it that way. But its when you take it too far problems about whether its right or wrong comes up. I'll wine my batty on the streets carnival monday and tuesday, but you wont find me engaged in any simulation of sexual activity or "passa passa" style dancing. To me there's a limit.

if it does

then down with christianity!!!

i cant say for the catholic based carnivals such as those in trinidad, brazil, st.lucia, and dominica, but antigua's carnival was started on emancipation day..

we are celebrating freedom from slavery, and albeit that a lot of peeps do know know that. there is where it originated from.

calypso was the slave way of singing about their oppression, and if that is wrong, well i choose to be a pagan
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Spoogie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingram_Gordon View Post
    if it does

then down with christianity!!!

i cant say for the catholic based carnivals such as those in trinidad, brazil, st.lucia, and dominica, but antigua's carnival was started on emancipation day..

we are celebrating freedom from slavery, and albeit that a lot of peeps do know know that. there is where it originated from.

calypso was the slave way of singing about their oppression, and if that is wrong, well i choose to be a pagan
    I guess that explains the inclusion of the devil like horn in alot of the outfits. No true christian would attend carnival or dance to calypso music. In Jamaican the church goers don't go out and dance like most people. The music is too vulgar, for true christians.

Official Winin' criminal Soca_Loving_Trini's Avatar Soca_Loving_Trini is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Murderer View Post
    I guess that explains the inclusion of the devil like horn in alot of the outfits. No true christian would attend carnival or dance to calypso music. In Jamaican the church goers don't go out and dance like most people. The music is too vulgar, for true christians.
    What is so eveil about Calypso music? if you're referrring to the whole blue devils concept there's a history behind the portrayal of those characters it isnt just "a devil thing".But in terms of what you're saying Jamaican church goers do go out right? i don't know why people are of the opinions that Christians just stay locked up in their homes and can't party. With everything as I said you just have to know how much is enough.
    Jamaica music I consider to be more vulgar to Trinis, every sentence is a cuss word or sexually related

: well it depends on how strict you are when it come 2 religion. i agree wit old murderer 2 sum extent. strict church goers wud not participate in carnival. even bunji say his mom use 2 take him 2 church on carnival monday and tuesday.

What u think thread starter...check de vibes,

As someone who grew up Seventh day Adventist, and Never played Carnivl till now. I think that you cant be whinning on the streets then go in church and saying yuh is ah christian. You cant serve two Gods. You cant go do missionary work to ppl u been whinning up with carnival MOnday, dey go laugh in yuh face and call yuh ah hypocrite. If i had to celebrate slavery emancipation, ill do it some other way.Then again who am i to judge?
    Made In Vincy
    ~As humans we are equal but when it comes to standards and morals and ethics, they set us apart~
    Adidja me love yo, cake soap and all..."all of ah sudden me fall in love wid u"

If d white god don't like it imma find me a black god that understands me.

Quote Originally Posted by ssoj4eva View Post
    because at my church there was an evening celebrating african traditions and some Nigerian women started wining as part of their traditional dance and even though nobody said it, it was clear that the europeans thought it was indecent
    European Christianity was built on a foundation of Slavery and Armed Robbery:
    The Treaty of Tordesillas - Geography

don't the historical and political reasons matter? I think it the misunderstanding oth these traditions by the west, also it is very selective as i don't hear anyone calling Italians and Spanish people savages for having their festivals some which include throwing fruit at each other (esp. with all the people dying of hunger in the world) etc

As christian traditions have been mixed with pagan traditions so if carnival is wrong would giving easter eggs and buying christmas trees be wrong as they are not could be said to side track from meaning of those christian celebrations?

Quote Originally Posted by vincyempress View Post
    As someone who grew up Seventh day Adventist, and Never played Carnivl till now. I think that you cant be whinning on the streets then go in church and saying yuh is ah christian. You cant serve two Gods. You cant go do missionary work to ppl u been whinning up with carnival MOnday, dey go laugh in yuh face and call yuh ah hypocrite. If i had to celebrate slavery emancipation, ill do it some other way.Then again who am i to judge?
    I kinda feel dat way to an extent lol.

Buh Christians in de Carib see Carnival as Devil ting lol.

Organized religion is stupid.