Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are some aspects of caribbean culture against christianity?

Credits

Are some aspects of caribbean culture against christianity?

like wining/wukking up, carnival, calypso, soca etc. do you think that it is inappropriate to enjoy such things as a christian?

because at my church there was an evening celebrating african traditions and some Nigerian women started wining as part of their traditional dance and even though nobody said it, it was clear that the europeans thought it was indecent

Another time a woman in my church was sharing her experience of working as a missionary in Brazil and she said she did not go to see the carnival as it is the devils work

Credits
    The responses should be interesting......
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by chinky eyes View Post
    The responses should be interesting......
    +1
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Official Winin' criminal Soca_Loving_Trini's Avatar Soca_Loving_Trini is offline
    Credits
    So why nobody reply yet lol. Well for me as a christian I love my carnival and like they say all things in moderation. To me wining isnt a sin, at least I dont see it that way. But its when you take it too far problems about whether its right or wrong comes up. I'll wine my batty on the streets carnival monday and tuesday, but you wont find me engaged in any simulation of sexual activity or "passa passa" style dancing. To me there's a limit.

Credits
    if it does

then down with christianity!!!

i cant say for the catholic based carnivals such as those in trinidad, brazil, st.lucia, and dominica, but antigua's carnival was started on emancipation day..

we are celebrating freedom from slavery, and albeit that a lot of peeps do know know that. there is where it originated from.

calypso was the slave way of singing about their oppression, and if that is wrong, well i choose to be a pagan
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Spoogie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingram_Gordon View Post
    if it does

then down with christianity!!!

i cant say for the catholic based carnivals such as those in trinidad, brazil, st.lucia, and dominica, but antigua's carnival was started on emancipation day..

we are celebrating freedom from slavery, and albeit that a lot of peeps do know know that. there is where it originated from.

calypso was the slave way of singing about their oppression, and if that is wrong, well i choose to be a pagan
    I guess that explains the inclusion of the devil like horn in alot of the outfits. No true christian would attend carnival or dance to calypso music. In Jamaican the church goers don't go out and dance like most people. The music is too vulgar, for true christians.

Official Winin' criminal Soca_Loving_Trini's Avatar Soca_Loving_Trini is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Murderer View Post
    I guess that explains the inclusion of the devil like horn in alot of the outfits. No true christian would attend carnival or dance to calypso music. In Jamaican the church goers don't go out and dance like most people. The music is too vulgar, for true christians.
    What is so eveil about Calypso music? if you're referrring to the whole blue devils concept there's a history behind the portrayal of those characters it isnt just "a devil thing".But in terms of what you're saying Jamaican church goers do go out right? i don't know why people are of the opinions that Christians just stay locked up in their homes and can't party. With everything as I said you just have to know how much is enough.
    Jamaica music I consider to be more vulgar to Trinis, every sentence is a cuss word or sexually related

Credits
    : well it depends on how strict you are when it come 2 religion. i agree wit old murderer 2 sum extent. strict church goers wud not participate in carnival. even bunji say his mom use 2 take him 2 church on carnival monday and tuesday.

Credits

What u think thread starter...check de vibes,

Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Credits
    As someone who grew up Seventh day Adventist, and Never played Carnivl till now. I think that you cant be whinning on the streets then go in church and saying yuh is ah christian. You cant serve two Gods. You cant go do missionary work to ppl u been whinning up with carnival MOnday, dey go laugh in yuh face and call yuh ah hypocrite. If i had to celebrate slavery emancipation, ill do it some other way.Then again who am i to judge?
    Made In Vincy
    ~As humans we are equal but when it comes to standards and morals and ethics, they set us apart~
    Adidja me love yo, cake soap and all..."all of ah sudden me fall in love wid u"

Taj
    Credits
    If d white god don't like it imma find me a black god that understands me.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ssoj4eva View Post
    because at my church there was an evening celebrating african traditions and some Nigerian women started wining as part of their traditional dance and even though nobody said it, it was clear that the europeans thought it was indecent
    European Christianity was built on a foundation of Slavery and Armed Robbery:
    The Treaty of Tordesillas - Geography

Credits
    don't the historical and political reasons matter? I think it the misunderstanding oth these traditions by the west, also it is very selective as i don't hear anyone calling Italians and Spanish people savages for having their festivals some which include throwing fruit at each other (esp. with all the people dying of hunger in the world) etc

As christian traditions have been mixed with pagan traditions so if carnival is wrong would giving easter eggs and buying christmas trees be wrong as they are not could be said to side track from meaning of those christian celebrations?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by vincyempress View Post
    As someone who grew up Seventh day Adventist, and Never played Carnivl till now. I think that you cant be whinning on the streets then go in church and saying yuh is ah christian. You cant serve two Gods. You cant go do missionary work to ppl u been whinning up with carnival MOnday, dey go laugh in yuh face and call yuh ah hypocrite. If i had to celebrate slavery emancipation, ill do it some other way.Then again who am i to judge?
    I kinda feel dat way to an extent lol.

Buh Christians in de Carib see Carnival as Devil ting lol.

Credits
    Organized religion is stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast