Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sociology is not a science ?

Credits

Sociology is not a science ?

Does anyone agree with this ?

Credits
    No, Sociology is not a science.

None of the Social "Sciences" are sciences. They are just fantasies and dogmas.

Add economics.

Economics is merely a religion.
    Last edited by Inquistive; 10-28-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post
    No, Sociology is not a science.

None of the Social "Sciences" are sciences. They are just fantasies and dogmas.

Add economics.

Economics is merely a religion.
    What makes economics a religion ?

and the reason I asked the question about whether sociology is a science or not is because someone I consider smart said it. To see if this person felt the way you felt about social science I asked if polotical science is a science and he said yes.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher View Post
    What makes economics a religion ?

and the reason I asked the question about whether sociology is a science or not is because someone I consider smart said it. To see if this person felt the way you felt about social science I asked if polotical science is a science and he said yes.
    Economics has sides. Either you are an Austrian, Chicagoan, or a Keynesian. None of these branches of economic thoughts agree with one another. This is similar to religion. Yes, there are numbers in economics, but most of the theories do not always suffice. Some economists say inflation is bad while others say it's a good thing. Economic beliefs have egos just like religious beliefs.

The same goes for political science. Hence, why it's not a science.

Credits
    Economics has sides. Either you are an Austrian, Chicagoan, or a Keynesian. None of these branches of economic thoughts agree with one another. This is similar to religion. Yes, there are numbers in economics, but most of the theories do not always suffice. Some economists say inflation is bad while others say it's a good thing. Economic beliefs have egos just like religious beliefs.

The same goes for political science. Hence, why it's not a science.

Haha ...Interesting. So your idea of a science is what can be evaluated to an accepted value ?

Should we examine varying theories in science ? The real one I presume in your view ?

Credits
    Haha ...Interesting. So your idea of a science is what can be evaluated to an accepted value ?

Should we examine varying theories in science ? The real one I presume in your view ?
    science is an observation of measurements of standards coming from a consensus of a group of people. You are correct.

Theories in science are not what people believe theories to be. The theory of evolution is real. Just because it's a theory does not mean it is merely something that is a possibility.

Credits
    science is an observation of measurements of standards coming from a consensus of a group of people. You are correct.

Theories in science are not what people believe theories to be. The theory of evolution is real. Just because it's a theory does not mean it is merely something that is a possibility.

So when one group of scientists observe something and propose what they believe to be true and for verification they ask other scientists to measure and observe as they did but both group come to a different conclusion. Is this an example of science behaving like social science ?

Credits
    So when one group of scientists observe something and propose what they believe to be true and for verification they ask other scientists to measure and observe as they did but both group come to a different conclusion. Is this an example of science behaving like social science ?
    There could be a little error in measurements. If there is no consensus, the claim is not valid.

Credits
    You're more likely to see debates in social science classes as opposed to seeing them in hard science classes. You will always witness debates in Sociology, Political Science, Psychology, or Economic classes. You will rarely or never witness debates in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Astronomy class.

The rules of the hard science classes are fixed. There is nothing to debate. The rules in social sciences are not. Hence, why there is always room for disagreements or egos.

Credits
    There could be a little error in measurements. If there is no consensus, the claim is not valid.
    Okay.

So I take it only physics is real science ?

and even if I accept there is an error in measurement, what about cases inwhich valid theories become invalid with new findings ? Is this an example of science behaving like social science ?

Credits
    Okay.

So I take it only physics is real science ?

and even if I accept there is an error in measurement, what about cases inwhich valid theories become invalid with new findings ? Is this an example of science behaving like social science ?

Then, it's thrown out the window. That's what is special about science.

That still doesn't make it similar to social science.

Credits
    Then, it's thrown out the window. That's what is special about science.

That still doesn't make it similar to social science.
    So the difference and failure in social science is that different theories co-exist ?

Is this not present in real science ?

Credits

Credits
    Are you going to answer my question ?

Credits
    So the difference and failure in social science is that different theories co-exist ?

Is this not present in real science ?
    There aren't multiple theories for one claim in hard sciences. In social sciences, there are.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast