Thread: So....The T&T Government put a hold on the building of the Carnival Centre....

Credits

Cool So....The T&T Government put a hold on the building of the Carnival Centre....

Mixed views on Carnival Centre halt
    Kristy Ramnarine kramnarine@trinidadexpress.com

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008

Government's move to put the building of the National Carnival and Entertainment Centre on hold has received mixed reviews from Carnival stakeholders.

Prime Minister Patrick Manning made the announcement on Sunday night during his address to the nation on Government's efforts to prevent the country from going into a recession.

Pan Trinbago president Patrick Arnold says culture is not a priority in this country therefore the move was not surprising to him.

"I don't think we treat culture in the right way. We don't have proper venues for shows and we need venues.

"We had our festival (National Steelband Music Festival Pan Is Beautiful XI) at the Jean Pierre Complex last night (Sunday) which was in a terrible condition, the lighting was terrible." See Page 7.

Arnold said he hoped that the Academy of the Performing Arts, at Princess Building Grounds which is still under construction can be used for events.

President of the Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Association (TUCO) Franz "Delamo" Lambkin added: "We understand the economic situation so we have to go with what was announced. But our view is that the priority was mixed up and the Carnival Centre should have been built before the Academy was built."

And President of the National Carnival Bands Association (NCBA) Owen Hinds said he will make an announcement on the decision after his members meet later this week.

"Preparations for Carnival 2009 have already started taking place. The Parade of Bands remains on the road but we want to know if we could go back to the Savannah. All this will be discussed at the meeting," he said.

Credits
    I find for a country that boasts their carnival as being the "Greatest Show on Earth" they shouldn't be NOW building a Carnival Centre, this should've been built. But like everything else, the unimportant shite takes priority over more pressing things. And why is the Jean Pierre Complex in a deplorable state? WTF the culture Ministry really doing down dey dread? Steupes. I tell you that's why I does take vacation from reading the news back home you know, cuz they does just get me damn vex.

Credits

Prime Minister Patrick Manning has announced that the Carnival Center is next to be built and start building in March 2010

STATUS UPDATE: (6/11/11)
    Nigerians are great people

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Olokun View Post

Prime Minister Patrick Manning has announced that the Carnival Center is next to be built and start building in March 2010

wow, that is beautiful. wat would the centre be about?

btw, it is not safe to have glass over the head of the patrons.

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by Olokun View Post

that looking nice..I bet you would be named the "Patrick Manning center" in the near future

Credits
    wat kind of events will it hold?

Credits
    This is nice. Manning has great infrastruce plans but lacks social plans to take the country forward. What is interesting is that we are nearly halfway in time between the vision 2020 launch of 2002 and the year 2020 and the PNM still have not shown the public how we are closer to reaching developed country status.

Spranga
    lol @ economic situation

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BAJANFUHLIFE View Post
    wow, that is beautiful. wat would the centre be about?

btw, it is not safe to have glass over the head of the patrons.
    I think that's the new stage. The engineers have to be able to make it safe, or else the consequences would be dire (being (a) no stage or (b) a disaster).

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Spranga View Post
    lol @ economic situation
    ya know. the recession is just a term for loaning.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkdd View Post
    I think that's the new stage. The engineers have to be able to make it safe, or else the consequences would be dire (being (a) no stage or (b) a disaster).

Credits
    if its done by 2011 i will actually play mas for the first time. Tribe ah coming

graphic imaging of how it will look
    STATUS UPDATE: (6/11/11)
    Nigerians are great people

Credits

Spend more on social programs

Right now T&T is awash in money because of the petroleum and relared industries, and is spending like CRAZY on infrastructure. That's all well and fine, but I agree that they to focus more on investing in the people, in the social infrastructure. I don't know if enough of that is occurring.

Credits
    this is the stage fiasco all over again just multiplied by 10!!!
    remember the stage got took down to put up a new due to its unsafe conditions and the rats underneath and all that tra lala!
    Well this building going and end up just like the unfinished pantrinbago building on CHR by me. Steups. Patos does NOT like carnival, although it brings in a nice bit of exposure and non oil based revenue, he doh like it, so it does not surprise me at all...
    im looking for a pic of it online but cant find it. next time i comin back home from d mall or sumn i will take a pic to show allyuh d tat sittin there for 5+yrs