Thread: So the Mayor of Baltimore Get Convicted..

Credits

So the Mayor of Baltimore Get Convicted..

of Embezzlement... $630 in gift cards...
    $630 ?? I mean Damn.. you could have made it count..
    Take a few million...but now she and the family is Shamed over $630!

Mayor Sheila Dixon trial: Dixon convicted of embezzlement -- baltimoresun.com

Jurors in the theft trial of Sheila Dixon convicted the Baltimore mayor Tuesday on a single charge of taking gift cards intended for the city's poor.

Although Dixon was acquitted of a felony theft charge, her conviction could force her from office.

Jurors deliberated more than six days after hearing the Democrat was accused of using or keeping $630 worth of gift cards. She allegedly solicited most of the cards from a wealthy developer and then bought electronics at Best Buy, clothes at Old Navy and other items at Target.

The jury convicted her on one count of fraudulent misappropriation by a fiduciary and acquitted her on two counts of felony theft and one count of misconduct in office. Jurors failed to reach verdict on another count of fraudulent misappropriation by a fiduciary.

"The city will still continue to move forward," Dixon said outside the courthouse after the verdict. "This city will continue to run. ... We won't miss a step."

Earlier Tuesday, jurors sent a note to Judge Dennis M. Sweeney asking whether the panel needed to reach a unanimous decision on all five counts against the mayor. The note, written by juror No. 11 and signed by the forewoman, had the word "all" underlined.

Sweeney brought the jurors into the courtroom and explained to them that they can return a partial verdict. He did not take questions from the jurors in the courtroom, but said that they can send another note with any additional questions.

Several jurors nodded as Sweeney explained that the court can accept a partial verdict.

Because prosecutors used different legal theories in charging Dixon, she could have been convicted of a maximum of three counts. Dixon faced conviction on the following counts:

• Count One

The jury found Dixon not guilty of the most serious crime, felony theft. The jury decided that Dixon did not knowingly steal about $630 in Target and Best Buy gift cards purchased in December 2005 by developer Patrick Turner, who testified they were intended for "the children of Baltimore." Dixon was City Council president at the time.

or

• Count Four

The jury convicted Dixon of embezzlement, a misdemeanor, for violating her fiduciary duties to the city and citizens of Baltimore by using about $630 in Target and Best Buy gift cards purchased in December 2005 by Turner. The developer testified the cards were intended for "the children of Baltimore." Dixon was City Council president at the time.

• Count Three

Dixon was not convicted of theft for taking six Toys "R" Us gift cards purchased with taxpayer money in 2007 for a city housing department charity event called the Holly Trolley tour. Dixon gave one of the cards to a wealthy aide, and the others were found in a Victoria's Secret shopping bag in Dixon's home when it was raided last year.

or

• Count Six

The jury was hung on the count of embezzlement. Dixon was accused of violating her fiduciary duties to the city and citizens of Baltimore by taking six Toys "R" Us gift cards purchased with taxpayer money. The cards were intended for the city housing department's 2007 Holly Trolley tour, a charity event. Juror No. 3 said the jury was split, 9-3, in favor of convicting the mayor on this charge.

Dixon gave one to a wealthy aide, and the others were found in a Victoria's Secret shopping bag in Dixon's home when it was raided last year.

Credits
    Dumb.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Credits
    damn...
    One step at a time

Credits
    She looks really graceful for a petty thief

Taj
    Credits
    Ummmm doesn't it have to be of a certain (upper level) amt to be considered embezzelment.

Sheesh

no i did not read the article... if there is one
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    that is some jackassness to be convicted for and she was doing a pretty decent job as mayor too. somebody wanted her head badly!!!

Credits
    The investigation began when Dixon was City Council President and the original target was Mayor Martin O'Malley. It is an embarrassment for
    Baltimore, but I prefer Mayor Dixon over City Council President Stephanie
    Rawlings Blake who would replace Dixon if she is forced out of office.
    Think For Yourself

Credits
    I would think its some kinna mafia message they sending.........$630 or $630 million.......we gonna fock yuh the same way......thats how the government works when yuh go against..........New Jersey is notorious for that crooked government shit
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlocks View Post
    The investigation began when Dixon was City Council President and the original target was Mayor Martin O'Malley. It is an embarrassment for
    So it was a Witch hunt then....
    It figures... b/c $630 is so blasted trivial..
    The people here in my office aren't fans of Blake...
    I'm not that tied into Bmore politricks.. havent been here long enough and don't plan on being here to long either..
    i know they better stop calling me for jury Duty before i set every criminal in Bmore free.

Credits
    Seeing this article and the ad on the page cracked me up.
    Think For Yourself

Credits
    see I thought this was some O'Mailey bs because I remember working on her campaign he was in some hot water (not like people were being that active in keeping him out of politics since he's Governor).

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlocks View Post

i would rather they take out O'Malley.. he just seems slimy to me.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Shams View Post
    i would rather they take out O'Malley.. he just seems slimy to me.
    always, and makes me wonder if some of these backwards minded people elected him to govern the state