Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Is British Reality TV Actually WORSE Than American Reality TV?

m
    Credits

Question So Is British Reality TV Actually WORSE Than American Reality TV?

Viewers Jump To Shilpa's Defence
    Leigh Holmwood and agencies
    Monday January 15, 2007

MediaGuardian.co.uk

Media regulator Ofcom has received 200 complaints about alleged racism in
    Celebrity Big Brother after viewers complained that Bollywood actress Shilpa
    Shetty was being targeted by other housemates.

Viewers have contacted the regulator over what they saw as alleged racism
    by housemates Jade Goody, Danielle Lloyd and Jo O'Meara towards Shilpa.
    Jade Goody's mother, Jackiey Budden, also repeatedly referred to Shilpa
    as "the Indian" while she was on the show and refused to pronounce her
    name.

Over the weekend, former beauty queen Danielle and ex-S Club 7 star Jo
    poked fun at Shilpa's accent.

The incidents have provoked Big Brother fans to debate the racism question
    on websites.

An Ofcom spokeswoman said: "We have had approximately 200 complaints of
    racism. Quite a lot of websites have been discussing the issue and urging
    people to get in contact with us. We will look into each individual complaint."

Jade, Danielle and Jo have ganged up on Shilpa in recent days. When Shilpa
    tried to console Danielle after Carole Malone's eviction on Friday night, the
    girls were unimpressed.

"She makes me feel sick. She makes my skin crawl," said Jade. Danielle
    added: "She's a dog."

Last night, Shilpa ended up in floods of tears after making a roast chicken for
    the group which Jo to refuse to eat it.

"I don't trust that chicken. I want to eat it but I'm scared," Jo complained,
    claiming it was undercooked and too spicy.

Commenting on the alleged bullying, ex-Steps star Ian said: "It's turning into
    that film - Lord Of The Flies."

"Were they bullying Shilpa last night?" asked Jermaine Jackson today. "Yeah,"
    Ian replied. "I'm not playing those games. I'm not going to be part of it."

Shilpa emerged from the bedroom today hiding her eyes behind dark glasses.
    She put on a brave face, insisting: "This will make me into a stronger person."

Jermaine told Shilpa: "Jade can't read you because she's not on your level.
    It's like going to a meeting and it all going over your head. You have to stay
    true to the person in your heart."

And in the words of the song by his brother Michael, he told her: "Look at the
    song Man in the Mirror. They need to look in the mirror before they can make
    that change."

Source

UKers...is that how things are going on over there? The people dem so blatantly racist?

Toppa_Toppa
    That's what you call "blatantly racist"?

vincy_socababy
    I think the UK invented reality TV every week there's another new one.

I haven't looked at the video link in this thread but I have been watching BB, and those 3 females are not only bullying Shilpa but they are being racist. Jade was calling her shipla poppadum shilpa fukawala whatever else, her excuse being that she didn't know her last name. Jades mothr kept referring to her as 'the indian' they say things like 'that's why those people over tere are always ill and thin, they can't cook chicken properly'

if anyone actually knows how this Jade person is they will know that she is a bully. and her father is actually mixed race or black and still she getting on so.

She has some kind of chip on her shoulder about Shilpa's staus it's like high school, the fat nobody nothingness sees the pretty smart chick who has friends and hates her instantly just because. and that Danielle girl, for some reason thinks that she has to impress Jade (who by the way is actually famous for being in BB).So she lies at every oppertunity and winds up Jade by telling her Shilpa said this an that when the woman actually didn't.

it's a mess ,a serious mess in there

m
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by vincy_socababy View Post
    I think the UK invented reality TV every week there's another new one.

I haven't looked at the video link in this thread but I have been watching BB, and those 3 females are not only bullying Shilpa but they are being racist. Jade was calling her shipla poppadum shilpa fukawala whatever else, her excuse being that she didn't know her last name. Jades mothr kept referring to her as 'the indian' they say things like 'that's why those people over tere are always ill and thin, they can't cook chicken properly'

if anyone actually knows how this Jade person is they will know that she is a bully. and her father is actually mixed race or black and still she getting on so.

She has some kind of chip on her shoulder about Shilpa's staus it's like high school, the fat nobody nothingness sees the pretty smart chick who has friends and hates her instantly just because. and that Danielle girl, for some reason thinks that she has to impress Jade (who by the way is actually famous for being in BB).So she lies at every oppertunity and winds up Jade by telling her Shilpa said this an that when the woman actually didn't.

it's a mess ,a serious mess in there
    It's crazy.

From what little I saw, the 2 American men, Jermaine Jackson and the guy from A-Team seem cool as cucumbers...not even getting involve in a fraction of the drama.

From what I understand it's a big deal in the UK this controversy, I would imagine it is an even bigger deal in the Indian community as Shilpa is one of their biggest stars, if not THE biggest star.

Barbados my home no matter where ever I go
    Credits
    that article is quiet old. The story has been headline news everyday since monday.

Now its more like 20 000 complaints.

The way shilpa has been treated has been appauling. I am very vexed that c4 has let this behaviour go on for so long. The show should be taken off the air.

I think Jade is very jealous of shilpa. As some of the housemates have said, she feels threatened by shilpa - maybe its because she's educated and has made her fortune by doing something she is good at, maybe because she speaks english better than her - who knows? But the fact is the behaviour of some housemates have become overtly racist in the past few days.

And then you have the white people on the tv (who haven't received any racism in their lives) saying that it isn't racism.

vincy_socababy
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingDawg View Post
    It's crazy.

From what little I saw, the 2 American men, Jermaine Jackson and the guy from A-Team seem cool as cucumbers...not even getting involve in a fraction of the drama.

From what I understand it's a big deal in the UK this controversy, I would imagine it is an even bigger deal in the Indian community as Shilpa is one of their biggest stars, if not THE biggest star.
    Jermaine is probably closest to Shilpa, they spend a lot of time hanging out, she was even teaching him some Urdu to tell his wife, and Dirk is pretty cool it seems. Actually Jermaine was the first one to actually say out loud that the reason the girls are being that way towards her is because of the colour of her skin.
    it is a big deal here , politicians are getting involved, Jade's perfume brand has been taken off the shelves, Danielle has been dropped from her 6 figure modelling contract. that Jo girl is such a has been that there's nothing to take from her.

i actually like Shilpa, yes it's 'reality' tv but it's how she can say a whole lot without saying much, like when Jade was getting in her face one time Shilpa calmly said 'the word isn't patronize, you need to learn the vocabulary' i was rolling.

Credits
    If I was in the house, don't think for a minute that jade would have said that stuff to shilpa and me not say anything.

Jade is a wicked #################### (excuse meh french), I can't flippin stand her. She makes me sick. All those other people in the house did not even say anything to Jade, didn't even stop her.

I would have been all up in it - FRONT AND CENTRE. They would have had to call security in the house.

Credits
    Jermaine is probably closest to Shilpa, they spend a lot of time hanging out, she was even teaching him some Urdu to tell his wife, and Dirk is pretty cool it seems. Actually Jermaine was the first one to actually say out loud that the reason the girls are being that way towards her is because of the colour of her skin.
    it is a big deal here , politicians are getting involved, Jade's perfume brand has been taken off the shelves, Danielle has been dropped from her 6 figure modelling contract. that Jo girl is such a has been that there's nothing to take from her.

i actually like Shilpa, yes it's 'reality' tv but it's how she can say a whole lot without saying much, like when Jade was getting in her face one time Shilpa calmly said 'the word isn't patronize, you need to learn the vocabulary' i was rolling.
    I am waiting to see who gets evicted tonight.

vincy_socababy
    Quote Originally Posted by SwEeTsOcAlAdY View Post
    If I was in the house, don't think for a minute that jade would have said that stuff to shilpa and me not say anything.

Jade is a wicked #################### (excuse meh french), I can't flippin stand her. She makes me sick. All those other people in the house did not even say anything to Jade, didn't even stop her.

I would have been all up in it - FRONT AND CENTRE. They would have had to call security in the house.
    girl you watch last night? when DAnielle went and told Jade that Shilpa said she didn't want to end up in the group with them. the woman never say nuttin so.

and the other day danielle again says to Jade that she didn't agree with the things Shilpa said to Jade, but then she just happened to forget to tell Jade that she actually told Shilpa the same thing. that is one likkle conniving biatch,

what can one expect form someone who screws a judge to win Miss UK

m
    Credits
    that article is quiet old. The story has been headline news everyday since monday.

Now its more like 20 000 complaints.

The way shilpa has been treated has been appauling. I am very vexed that c4 has let this behaviour go on for so long. The show should be taken off the air.

I think Jade is very jealous of shilpa. As some of the housemates have said, she feels threatened by shilpa - maybe its because she's educated and has made her fortune by doing something she is good at, maybe because she speaks english better than her - who knows? But the fact is the behaviour of some housemates have become overtly racist in the past few days.

And then you have the white people on the tv (who haven't received any racism in their lives) saying that it isn't racism.
    What's that you were saying Toppa?

Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa View Post
    That's what you call "blatantly racist"?

vincy_socababy
    I am waiting to see who gets evicted tonight.
    i hope is Jade, just so to see how the silly heffas will cope without her and to see public reaction. you notice how she sucking up to Shilpa since BB called her into the diary room and asked her is she thought her comments were racist. she really trying to get back on the good side of the public. sorry me nah fall fuh dat

vincy_socababy
    SSL

BBC news just say that there will be no public audience fuh the eviction. murther them fraid.

m
    Credits
    SSL

BBC news just say that there will be no public audience fuh the eviction. murther them fraid.
    Clearly.

vincy_socababy
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingDawg View Post
    Clearly.
    damn tootin, cause someone was gonna get stoned.

LGN
    Credits
    SSL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast