Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So after readin a few pages.....

Mad Scorpion

So after readin a few pages.....

of the 1st time in Trini review and the talk of segregation I have a few questions. Now some are saying there is obvious segregation and at least one person claims to have felt it (still trying to understand how you can feel segregated). For the experts that seem to understand TnT better than Trinbagonians:

Have you ever beenn denied access to any venue in TnT because of race?

Have you ever been denied services in TnT because of your race?

Have you been denied the opportunity to purchase anything in TnT because of your race?

Have you ever been treated rudely or unfairly in TnT because of your race?

Poca I hope you will make a cameo to answer these questions.

Gladiator
    dude they just perceive T&T as a country like theirs before they reach T&T..they think T&T belongs to one race so when they go T&T and see the diversity they call it segregation ..one person went to POS for a few days , gone to one fete and think she is an expert about race relations and poverty in T&T..even saying she aint see no oil industrialization

Credits
    I think its just misuse of a common word.. Not so much segregation but you can tell that there are dramatic differences in neighborhoods. Some even as far away as one city block away from each other..

Like you driving by and you see a nice house, one mile later shanty houses, next mile again gated community.. :

Mad Scorpion
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant View Post
    dude they just perceive T&T as a country like theirs before they reach T&T..they think T&T belongs to one race so when they go T&T and see the diversity they call it segregation ..one person went to POS for a few days , gone to one fete and think she is an expert about race relations and poverty in T&T..even saying she aint see no oil industrialization
    Maybe she was expecting to see buildings that say "Built with Oil Money"

People does say shit and eh realize how ridiculous what they sayin is. Wha fockin segregation?! It ha anywey in TnT that anybody from any race cannot go?!! I know it ha plenty place man will choose not to go fuh various reasons doh! How it ha so much segregation but yuh could buy chinese food from immigrant Chinee people anywey yuh go in Trini? Like we does segregate everybody but dem oh so powaful asian imigrants aought?

Credits
    that shit is not even limited to Trinidad.. in baltimore the infamous yorke road that runs through baltimore city and baltimore county shows a serious divide.. drive coming from downtown and you see all the black people in baltimore city addicted to heroin waiting on the bus, lookin stoned to kingdom come.. then all of a sudden you are in baltimore county and see the white affluent neighborhoods of Towson and environs and the bubbly co-eds on their way to Starbucks. stark contrast..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickin Killa! View Post
    of the 1st time in Trini review and the talk of segregation I have a few questions. Now some are saying there is obvious segregation and at least one person claims to have felt it (still trying to understand how you can feel segregated). For the experts that seem to understand TnT better than Trinbagonians:

Have you ever beenn denied access to any venue in TnT because of race? No

Have you ever been denied services in TnT because of your race? No

Have you been denied the opportunity to purchase anything in TnT because of your race? No

Have you ever been treated rudely or unfairly in TnT because of your race? No

Poca I hope you will make a cameo to answer these questions.
    wouldn't say that I'm an expert re Trini...and my experiences have generally been positive, wholesome happy ones. But I have worked with companies in TnT and there is a glass-ceiling at higher levels in larger conglomerates..Black employees seem to work twice as hard to be promoted and their qualifications are scrutinised more intently. There are fewer senior managers and board members of African ancestory although there are many blacks at middle manager level. That has stood out the most.

In day to day activity..I've never had a problem...Then again..when I'm in Trini ppl tell me I look like a town ting so maybe that has influenced how people respond to me.

Credits
    Didnt say it was unique to Trinidad.. Just trying to help out with the understand of what her observations may have been.. And this is more so the housing not the people.. Cause we all know even on yorke road you can get nice houses for cheap cheap cheap..

Mad Scorpion
    Quote Originally Posted by PJK View Post
    I think its just misuse of a common word.. Not so much segregation but you can tell that there are dramatic differences in neighborhoods. Some even as far away as one city block away from each other..

Like you driving by and you see a nice house, one mile later shanty houses, next mile again gated community.. :
    Too bad they don't seem to grasp the english language well enough to articulate what they really mean I guess.

That bolded part is all over the world and no more common than in countries like the US. Not sure why anyone thinks it would be different in Developing countries such as TnT.

Credits
    I have nothing against Jamaican girl assessments of her trip, if people did not agree then thats ok. However, the confusionists and dem damage the thread rel dutty wit dey shit. I see a harmless blog tun into all out war yes! People on dis website is rel kix I must say.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    I have nothing against Jamaican girl assessments of her trip, if people did not agree then thats ok. However, the confusionists and dem damage the thread rel dutty wit dey shit. I see a harmless blog tun into all out war yes! People on dis website is rel kix I must say.
    Welcome..

Credits
    only ignorant ppl want it to believe that
    ORIGINAL BLUE PRINT

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleton View Post
    wouldn't say that I'm an expert re Trini...and my experiences have generally been positive, wholesome happy ones. But I have worked with companies in TnT and there is a glass-ceiling at higher levels in larger conglomerates..Black employees seem to work twice as hard to be promoted and their qualifications are scrutinised more intently. There are fewer senior managers and board members of African ancestory although there are many blacks at middle manager level. That has stood out the most.

In day to day activity..I've never had a problem...Then again..when I'm in Trini ppl tell me I look like a town ting so maybe that has influenced how people respond to me.
    I think you are right, alot of Black people do have to work alot harder, you have to remember we are still a post slavery, post colonial society with problems like everywhere else. Alot of Blacks dont like to take up the opportunities presented to them. I know for a fact that they let it slide while the East Indians jump at these opportunities.

Credits
    Too bad they don't seem to grasp the english language well enough to articulate what they really mean I guess.

That bolded part is all over the world and no more common than in countries like the US. Not sure why anyone thinks it would be different in Developing countries such as TnT.
    Technically there shouldn't be a different expectation...but I think for some people, when they think of TnT's GDP relative to other islands ...there may the the expectation of more...I think even some Trinis forget that they are a developing country...I think it had to do with expectation that's all. But yeah...it's no different from anywhere else...

Credits

Its also very similar in Jamaica... so I doh think that was where she pointed out the racial dynamics. I think what got her was that she saw Afro-Trinis as a minority in Trinidad and then when you see entire areas that are majority Indian or entire areas majority black and then this is reflected in the bands and the fetes she reported on it as surprising.

I mean you can go just about anywhere in the washington DC... but economic/racial segregation is blatant.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleton View Post
    Technically there shouldn't be a different expectation...but I think for some people, when they think of TnT's GDP relative to other islands ...there may the the expectation of more...I think even some Trinis forget that they are a developing country...I think it had to do with expectation that's all. But yeah...it's no different from anywhere else...
    Well that seemed surprising to her as well... but that might also have been bolstered by the way Trinis on here boast of their apparent economic standing. I personally know better because Trinidad isnt even the wealthiest island in the Caribbean. So why would it look that much different than anywhere else?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast