Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sir John Compton: A Man Of The People

Credits

Sir John Compton: A Man Of The People

Sir John: a man for the people

Published on: 9/20/07.

Governor-General Dame Pearlette Louisy (centre) was among the dignataries saying farewell. In the background is Opposition Leader Kenny Anthony.

by TIM SLINGER

SIR JOHN COMPTON'S decision to re-enter the political fray last year was because he believed St Lucia was heading in the wrong direction.

So said his widow Lady Compton as she gave an almost hour-long tribute about her husband's life, including his expectations and challenges during their 40 plus years together.

Moved to tears over some of her cherished memories, the former prime minister's wife also spoke of Sir John's undying concern for the well-being of St Lucians – "the country to which he devoted more than half of a century of his life".

Lady Compton told the congregation at the packed Minor Basiulica of the Immaculate Conception church that her husband never lost his humility nor forgot the less fortunate and needy.

Long-time friend and political colleague Sir James Mitchell also spoke glowingly of Sir John's contribution to his country and the Caribbean as a whole.

"Today we mark the passing of a legend," he said, "a legend that will make John Compton thrive forever in the hearts of generations in the Caribbean."

The former prime minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines remembered when the late and former prime minister of Dominica, Dame Eugenia Charles, Sir John and himself shared "the same vision at the same time".

He said one of the trio's major disappointments was their failure to unite the islands of the Eastern Caribbean states.

He also spoke of Sir John's controversial re-entry into politics during his latter years.

"When you, the people of St Lucia, saw your country sinking with no redemption in sight, you demanded he [Sir John] return to your rescue," Sir James said to a deafening roar of approval from hundreds of St Lucians who had gathered at the Derek Walcott Square to view the funeral service proceedings from a gigantic television screen.

He said the former St Lucian leader was so simple a man that he chose to live at his residence rather than move into the official prime minister's residence.

Earlier in the day, Barbadian construction magnate Sir Charles Othniel "Cow" Williams also paid tribute to Sir John describing him as one of the greatest
    West Indians of all time.

Sir Charles said the former St Lucian leader was a man of immense vision and foresight.

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits
    I heard the prime minister of canada-stephen harper

and the u.s.a president george bush had something good to say about john compton as well
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.

(Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

Credits
    He really was a man of the people and also a very simple fella. He would go down to his banana plantation in his constituency and just mingle with the folks. He refused any type of security/bodyguards.
    I went to school with his son and daughter, and this man would come pick them up from school himself, in a little white Datsun pickup. I will never forget that.

Credits
    yup he was

Credits
    picked them up in the white van????? unless my dad wasnt a farmer, i wud be hell embarrased, pm or not. i'm remembering jr high days....o lord. anyways, i read this quote from lady janice which really touched me: "I know that I will forever be searching the universe and its tickling stars for some sign of you," -Lady Janice

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickyan View Post
    picked them up in the white van????? unless my dad wasnt a farmer, i wud be hell embarrased, pm or not. i'm remembering jr high days....o lord. anyways, i read this quote from lady janice which really touched me: "I know that I will forever be searching the universe and its tickling stars for some sign of you," -Lady Janice
    nice quote indeed

yes i know of older people he brought to shcool in the ole van lol
    Last edited by Dr Insane; 09-20-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Credits
    madness.....leave the mun ol van alone! u eh see it going down in history? don't disturb the process. :)

Credits
    madness.....leave the mun ol van alone! u eh see it going down in history? don't disturb the process. :)
    want a ride?

dem days i hear is a ride for a ride lmao.

Credits
    Here are some pics from the funeral. He was carried around in his green FAR van. Talk about a simple man....

ONELUCIAN

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MuSiQuE View Post
    Here are some pics from the funeral. He was carried around in his green FAR van. Talk about a simple man....

ONELUCIAN
    nice photo's

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Lucian View Post
    nice photo's
    Yeah, I got goosebumps watching some of them.

Credits

Credits

Credits
    thanx for the website.

Credits
    thanx for the website.
    so yuh eh want a ride ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast