Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: THis shoulda evolved into a music Genre and shoulda been more mainstream

Credits

THis shoulda evolved into a music Genre and shoulda been more mainstream

Some weeks ago, opti made a thread about Call and Answer music so i was lookin for some to post and came across these...

Negro Work Songs or Chain Gang music
    these were songs Black people sang toiling in the fields or working on them chain gangs
    some of these are soo ill..
    real infectious

Last edited by Hello BKLYN; 06-05-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    dollbabi likes this.
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    i just read that it evolved into the blues.. but i wish this pure form stood out as a viable music genre
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits

Fastforward to 1:45

Carl G. Jung

Credits

Carl G. Jung

Credits

Carl G. Jung

Credits

Carl G. Jung

TC
    Credits
    Even if this music were mainstream I probably would rately or never listen to it. It's just to haunting for me. And watching those images on the vids are also haunting and disturbing for me...apart from slavery in the new world, it reminds me of images if the jewish holocaust.
    dollbabi and BacchanalDiva like this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    Some weeks ago, opti made a thread about Call and Answer music so i was lookin for some to post and came across these...

Negro Work Songs or Chain Gang music
    these were songs Black people sang toiling in the fields or working on them chain gangs
    some of these are soo ill..
    real infectious

i just read that it evolved into the blues.. but i wish this pure form stood out as a viable music genre
    yes because we need yet more reasons for prison time to give black men street cred...

smh rap, style of dress, and women already make the prison thing hot for some guys...let's not add to its allure...

also, call and response been going on in churches...no?
    Who has eyes to see, let them see...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownilus View Post
    yes because we need yet more reasons for prison time to give black men street cred...

smh rap, style of dress, and women already make the prison thing hot for some guys...let's not add to its allure...

also, call and response been going on in churches...no?
    Whaaat?! what does this have to do with using prison time to gain street cred... the lyrics of these songs aint about thug or criminal behavior or none of that, and these songs were used by black people in all kinds of work.. sharecroppers in the field and Gadydancers working on the railroads, not just chaingangs.. its just that chaingangs were doing backbreaking work too so they used the songs to keep the rhythm and moral...

its about how you hear the soul and pain coming from the gut in these songs..
    some of them are so infectious too.. just hear that bertha bertha song..

and some of these are not really call and answer, i just happend to come up on it when i was looking for call and answer songs because a lot of work songs do use call and answer
    Last edited by Hello BKLYN; 06-06-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    LIONESS onda RISE likes this.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    Nice perspective.

Credits
    yes..i was coming in to say this evolved into blues..and heavily infuenced gospel music as well
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TC View Post
    Even if this music were mainstream I probably would rately or never listen to it. It's just to haunting for me. And watching those images on the vids are also haunting and disturbing for me...apart from slavery in the new world, it reminds me of images if the jewish holocaust.
    Wow, was scrolling down to say the same thing. I didn't even click any of the vids cause I already know what he talking bout and don't feel like bringing down my mood today. Them things DEPRESSING! My husband gets in his blues and gospel type music mood when he ready and even that I enjoy for a few minutes, esp the more uptempo then it gets so depressing it drives me crazy. Doh even try listening to that stuff in a car on a rainy day; make you wanna jump off a cliff :
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Whaaat?! what does this have to do with using prison time to gain street cred... the lyrics of these songs aint about thug or criminal behavior or none of that, and these songs were used by black people in all kinds of work.. sharecroppers in the field and Gadydancers working on the railroads, not just chaingangs.. its just that chaingangs were doing backbreaking work too so they used the songs to keep the rhythm and moral...

its about how you hear the soul and pain coming from the gut in these songs..
    some of them are so infectious too.. just hear that bertha bertha song..

and some of these are not really call and answer, i just happend to come up on it when i was looking for call and answer songs because a lot of work songs do use call and answer
    They could keep that.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    Wow, was scrolling down to say the same thing. I didn't even click any of the vids cause I already know what he talking bout and don't feel like bringing down my mood today. Them things DEPRESSING! My husband gets in his blues and gospel type music mood when he ready and even that I enjoy for a few minutes, esp the more uptempo then it gets so depressing it drives me crazy. Doh even try listening to that stuff in a car on a rainy day; make you wanna jump off a cliff :
    ..thats what my sisters say about some of the stuff i listen to...but they say they wanna slit thier wrists..lol..

too me....the music is calming and puts me in a reflective mood
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BABYLOC View Post
    ..thats what my sisters say about some of the stuff i listen to...but they say they wanna slit thier wrists..lol..

too me....the music is calming and puts me in a reflective mood
    OMG him too. and like he doh feel right if he doesn't play it a bit on a sunday, guess like how I like old calypso on a sunday. I think if the music weren't so tied in to a lot of images it wouldn't be so bad but we know the kinda movie scenes and stuff its always been used for.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast