Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should men be allowed to say...

Credits

should men be allowed to say...

"i am the daddy but i don't wanna be"? there is alawsuit being brought by the national center for men that would allow men a 1 to 2 week grace period wherein they can acknowledge that they are the father of a child but they don't have to provide support or even be in the child's life...

Welcome to the
    National Center for Men's
    Voluntary Fatherhood Project.

The laws that protect men and women from being forced into parenthood are highly discriminatory. Women are protected by abortion and abandonment laws. But when men are lied to about birth control or fertility, paternity and child support laws can disrupt their education and force upon them a future of distress associated with the unwanted child, support payments, the stigma of illegitimacy and a gut wrenching anguish that most people can't imagine.

It would be fairer to give men a limited time to irrevocably decide whether or not their case will be treated like those where the father is unknown or dead, like in single parent adoptions.

We also expect that giving men a choice would reduce the out of wedlock birth rate and its associated ills.

what do you guys think? is it okay for men to opt out of their children's lives??? or should they be allowed since women have the first and final choice anyway??

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by south'oman
    "i am the daddy but i don't wanna be"? there is alawsuit being brought by the national center for men that would allow men a 1 to 2 week grace period wherein they can acknowledge that they are the father of a child but they don't have to provide support or even be in the child's life...

Welcome to the

The laws that protect men and women from being forced into parenthood are highly discriminatory. Women are protected by abortion and abandonment laws. But when men are lied to about birth control or fertility, paternity and child support laws can disrupt their education and force upon them a future of distress associated with the unwanted child, support payments, the stigma of illegitimacy and a gut wrenching anguish that most people can't imagine.

It would be fairer to give men a limited time to irrevocably decide whether or not their case will be treated like those where the father is unknown or dead, like in single parent adoptions.

We also expect that giving men a choice would reduce the out of wedlock birth rate and its associated ills.

what do you guys think? is it okay for men to opt out of their children's lives??? or should they be allowed since women have the first and final choice anyway??
    My friend told me about this today on the train, and I am undecided about it. I mean we have a choice, so it is unfair for us to say they shouldn't. From what I was told, as long as the father relinquishes his rights, then he is no longer obligated and cannot have any rights or access to the child. This is something I believe will cause problems in the long run just as adoption sometimes has issues because mothers want back their kids. As I said, I am unsure about where I stand on the issue as a whole with all the associated factors, but I do believe that they should have a choice as we do.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by orielshay
    My friend told me about this today on the train, and I am undecided about it. I mean we have a choice, so it is unfair for us to say they shouldn't. From what I was told, as long as the father relinquishes his rights, then he is no longer obligated and cannot have any rights or access to the child. This is something I believe will cause problems in the long run just as adoption sometimes has issues because mothers want back their kids. As I said, I am unsure about where I stand on the issue as a whole with all the associated factors, but I do believe that they should have a choice as we do.

i am also of 2 minds on this one...its kinda leaving the door open for me to say "i go juss bull she and leave she with a child cause i can, me eh go be responsible" but 1) some ah dem do that anyway and 2) thi smay make women more responsible about who thry sleep with, knowing they cant force a man to take care of them and their child...

Credits
    i am also of 2 minds on this one...its kinda leaving the door open for me to say "i go juss bull she and leave she with a child cause i can, me eh go be responsible" but 1) some ah dem do that anyway and 2) thi smay make women more responsible about who thry sleep with, knowing they cant force a man to take care of them and their child...
    and then there are the women who do trifling things to put a man in the "baby daddy" position...I guess just like adoption, if this comes to pass, then we will be definitely see some people in court fighting for rights to the child they said they didn't want....

Credits

Cool

Maybe yuh din read d article properly enough. it talk specifically about men being willfully deceived or lied to, not sexing knowing the possibility of pregnancy. Here read again!
    My opinion is that it's a lose lose situation where in the end, the child is the one who will suffer no matter which side is favoured!
    But when men are lied to about birth control or fertility, paternity and child support laws can disrupt their education and force upon them a future of distress associated with the unwanted child, support payments, the stigma of illegitimacy and a gut wrenching anguish that most people can't imagine.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Taliban
    Maybe yuh din read d article properly enough. it talk specifically about men being willfully deceived or lied to, not sexing knowing the possibility of pregnancy. Here read again!
    My opinion is that it's a lose lose situation where in the end, the child is the one who will suffer no matter which side is favoured!
    So, if I am on the pill and you don't use a condom and I get pregnant, then where would that fall? Just like all other laws, there will always be a loop-hole...and then it comes down to he said she said. Example:
    he says, "she told me she couldn't get pregnant"
    she says, "I told him the doctor said the chances are slim to none"

Credits

Cool

So, if I am on the pill and you don't use a condom and I get pregnant, then where would that fall? Just like all other laws, there will always be a loop-hole...and then it comes down to he said she said. Example:
    he says, "she told me she couldn't get pregnant"
    she says, "I told him the doctor said the chances are slim to none"
    Is the pill 100% effective??

Credits
    i think that if d jackass man was bold enuff to lie dong an bull...he should be bold enuff to take care of d chile.......iff d woman lie about the paternity of the child..that is another story...although if the man didn't hit there wouldn't be a chance so....anytime yuh put someting in d oven...raw...it does come out cook yuh kno! be prepared!

Credits
    Is the pill 100% effective??
    we know it's not, but there are men who find out the woman is pregnant and the response is, "but she said she was on the pill?!?!"

Credits

i did read it but i also read the actual court doc so it's talking about in all cases where a child is conceived...

it is a lose lose situation still...the child is screwed because he/she may not have kno their dad and will ater find out that dad didnt wanna be a part of their life...that in and of itself is scarring to anyone, much less a child...

Credits

Welcome to the

Given the scenario...it does sound fair.
    @ The member request this account has been deactivated

Credits

we know it's not, but there are men who find out the woman is pregnant and the response is, "but she said she was on the pill?!?!"

Like when they on the bill and then taking anti-biotics for something else. usually will render the pill useless.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervin
    Given the scenario...it does sound fair.

its not only that scenario...that is part of their info. on the website...it's for all scenarios where a child is conceived...

ROE vs. WADE… FOR MEN TM
    Men's Center files pro-choice lawsuit in federal court
    Distributes men’s “reproductive rights affidavit”

On March 9, 2006 The National Center For Men will file suit in a United States district court in Michigan on behalf of a man's right to make reproductive choice, to decline fatherhood in the event of an unintended pregnancy. We will call our lawsuit Roe vs. Wade for Men. TM

More than three decades ago Roe vs. Wade gave women control of their reproductive lives but nothing in the law changed for men. Women can now have sexual intimacy without sacrificing reproductive choice. Women now have the freedom and security to enjoy lovemaking without the fear of forced procreation. Women now have control of their lives after an unplanned conception. But men are routinely forced to give up control, forced to be financially responsible for choices only women are permitted to make, forced to relinquish reproductive choice as the price of intimacy.

We will ask a United States district court judge to apply the principles of reproductive choice, as articulated in Roe vs. Wade, to men. We will ask that men be granted equal protection of the laws which safeguard the right of women to make family planning decisions after sex. We will argue that, at a time of reproductive freedom for women, fatherhood must be more than a matter of DNA: A man must choose to be a father in the same way that a woman chooses to be a mother.

We will ask that women be required to share reproductive freedom with men.

Our lawsuit will be filed on behalf of Matt Dubay, 25, a computer technician from Saginaw, Michigan. The state of Michigan is seeking to force Matt to pay child support for a child he never intended to bring into the world. Matt insists that the child’s mother repeatedly assured him she could not get pregnant and, also, Matt says that she knew he did not want to have a child with her. Matt is asking for the reproductive choice he would have had if he were “Mattilda.”

Immediately upon the filing of Roe vs. Wade for Men, The National Center For Men will begin distribution of its Reproductive Rights Affidavit, intended to be filed in court by a man and designed to give men legal rights in matters of procreation. We think it will encourage men and women to make family planning decisions together, as equal partners, by giving a man a voice but without interfering with a woman’s right to choose. It reads, in part:

“I will not recognize the moral authority of a court to strip me of my constitutional right to reproductive choice. I will challenge any court order that seeks to impose a parental obligation upon me against my will by asserting my right to equal protection of the law.”

Credits

its notonly that scenario...that is part of their info. on the website...it's for all scenarios where a child is conceived...

Wow....interesting.....Men all over the world should be watching this one closely... lol..
    Last edited by Swerve; 06-05-2006 at 01:11 PM. Reason: ***

Credits

Cool

Well then he has NO case, cause he went in knowing there was a small % that pregnancy could still occur.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast