Thread: Shot Dead For Shoplifting!

Credits

Shot Dead For Shoplifting!

JUSTIFIABLE ??

July 3, 2006

NORTH SMITHFIELD, R.I. --A police officer who shot a man suspected of shoplifting infant formula from a grocery store has been placed on routine administrative leave pending an investigation, authorities said Monday.

Sign up for: Globe Headlines e-mail | Breaking News Alerts Police said officer Russell Amato, who has been with the North Smithfield department for seven years, shot James Wilcox, 34, of Pawtucket, as Wilcox tried to flee the parking lot of a grocery store in a minivan with his 5-year-old daughter Sunday afternoon.

The child, who was not injured, was placed in state custody while officials work to place her with a relative, said Stephanie Terry, an assistant director at the Department of Children, Youth and Families.

"Our primary concern now is her emotional well-being," Terry said. "Under the circumstances, she is doing as well as can be expected."

This was the second incident this year of a police officer fatally shooting a suspected shoplifter who was fleeing in a moving vehicle.

In April, a Pawtucket police officer shot and killed a man who allegedly robbed a convenience store and rammed the officer's cruiser in an attempt to escape.

A statewide grand jury recently cleared the Pawtucket officer of criminal charges.

The Rhode Island Interlocal Risk Management Trust, a non-profit agency that insures 33 of the 39 municipalities in Rhode Island, developed a use of force policy last year that many of its members, including North Smithfield and Pawtucket, has adopted.

Credits
    WTF...I mean it's not right, but shoplifting formula is hardly putting someone's life in danger.

Dragon

Credits

Cool

That is harsh boy, now if that was a car

Credits

Damn

Yeah I heard about his on the news. That is messed up and I think shooting him was a rush judgment that will haunt the cop forever...