Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sentenced to life without parole at the age of 16

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinjer View Post
    13 years later...

I feel sorta bad for her...sorta
    I've only looked at the vid and not read the thread

I think her sentence was excessive. A 16 year old killing her PIMP of 3+ years does NOT deserve life without parole. Didn't the judge take into consideration that this man abused and prostituted a child (and others) for all those years?

That is bullshit and her case needs to be reviewed.
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by 4 5_H A S K E L L View Post
    She took a life and I completely understand the conundrum in making a decision about this individual's future. My issue is that many men are out there doing to these underage girls what was done to her. This is physical and mental abuse and conditioning which ended up in forced prostitution of a 13 yr old girl and she is now being punished for it. He is dead and "free" in her mind and she is in jail forced to re-live the 3 years she was with this person as an adolescent and the moments & abuse that led up to the incident for the rest of her life. I think this is why we as people need to be mindful of our children and what they become susceptible to because the truth is this can happen to anyone's child that is looking for a "father figure" in the wrong person.
    I completely agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleton View Post
    Thank you for the additional info. Re the bolded wouldn't police patrolling key areas know who the pimps, drug dealers, gangbangers are? Yet what was done to intervene to save this girl? The judge who sentenced her spoke of moral scruples..where was she expected to learn them? She was failed by her family, her environment and the state. Yet she alone is expected to pay the price...for the rest of her life no less.

Well said..It's so easy to be disconnected that we forget this could have been anybody's child...Examining the facts of the case through the eyes of adults does not give due credence to the emotional state of an 11-16 year old. It's only when we have such a blatant display of dysfunction do people really begin to realise what happens when we don't nurture our children positively.
    co-sign to the bolded print.

I feel that the judge was detached from the reality of the situation.
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    I completely agree

co-sign to the bolded print.

I feel that the judge was detached from the reality of the situation.
    Yes@ the bold. This is a serious problem with criminal system, and even our legislators in Congress. Often they are far too disconnected with the realities of every day Americans. But I'll just stop there and just agree with you.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by swallow View Post
    My say on this is if person is charge with a crime they should be judge by a jury of their peers.

The jury and the judge that implemented this young lady punishment are not her peers. It was political motivated to try her as an adult.

But for those that are judging her now for taking a life, should understand that she did not take an innocent life, she took the life of the man who nurtured her into what she is, a killer and thief.
    She was a victim not him, how quick are we to say the abused wife can get away with murder.
    This child @ the time did not understand what she did, she was just trying to exist in an environment that she was nurtured in.
    Yes I feel sorry for her.

1st
    Somehow somewhere, she had to be prosecuted for prostitution, what was the outcome when they found out her age.

We as a Society failed this child her mother was a alcoholic and hooked on drugs, she prolly sold her into prostitution.

Dollarbi the things I wrote in the previous post were the facts of the case I did find.
    It was prolly a gang related trial that why they are not letting the transcripts out.

Here is a little more

More than 15 years ago, a slight 16-year-old girl killed her former pimp inside a Riverside motel room, shooting him in the neck with a pistol when he turned his back. She took $1,500 from his pocket and the keys to his Jaguar.

Within 14 months, Sara Kruzan was tried and convicted as an adult of first-degree murder, with special circumstances of lying in wait and murder in the course of robbery. Prosecutors said a rival pimp put her up to the crime.

She was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, despite a California Youth Authority report stating the runaway would benefit from rehabilitation.

"What is so striking about this is the absence of moral scruple," Riverside County Superior Court Judge J. Thompson Hanks said as he sentenced a tearful Kruzan on Sept. 28, 1995.

The case received little attention then.
    and that right there makes it a bit more clearer.

re: the point on the Judge being detached from the reality of the situation...they are supposed to be. Otherwise many of their decisions would be based on emotion rather than law.

Poor girl. At the end of the day she made a decision. Now she has to live with it

Credits

re: the point on the Judge being detached from the reality of the situation...they are supposed to be. Otherwise many of their decisions would be based on emotion rather than law.

Poor girl. At the end of the day she made a decision. Now she has to live with it
    That's not necessarily true. It depends on the individual. There are individuals who are so far removed from reality that it makes it difficult to render sound decisions. Courts flip flop for both reasons and others.

Credits

"activist" judges

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    That's not necessarily true. It depends on the individual. There are individuals who are so far removed from reality that it makes it difficult to render sound decisions. Courts flip flop for both reasons and others.
    lol we're disputing a decision that has already been made for whatever reason. That is the law. Everything else is, at the moment, just a personal stance

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by . View Post
    "activist" judges
    Judicial activism encompasses far more than that...

Credits
    lol we're disputing a decision that has already been made for whatever reason. That is the law. Everything else is, at the moment, just a personal stance
    Looking from a broader perspective, the Supreme Court is reconsidering this issue...and will render the decision earlier next year.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    Looking from a broader perspective, the Supreme Court is reconsidering this issue...and will render the decision earlier next year.
    well that's hopeful
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Often times battered women who end up killing their husbands/abusers get off. This situation is not much different in that the guy she killed was her abuser from age 11 until 16. Also consider the FACT that she was a minor and a victim of emotional, mental and physical abuse. Could it be that she just snapped? Could it be premeditated, after being abused for so long and seeing no end in sight?
    www.cookingwithval.com
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits

Sorry sweatheart, she did not make that decision based on her knowledge of right or wrong. Even though since female rights group has taken her case to the public eye, she has shown remorse and realise that she has to live with his death over her head.

So lets look @ it from non-proponent of minors been tried as an adult POV.

When the states that made these legislation to try minors as adults.
    They were basing it on the adult drugs lords using minors as runners,
    since they got it pass, the law has evolve to al minors who commit heinous crimes.
    Like this woman and Lee Malvo, both of whom was nurtured into a life of crime.
    Adults were the mastemind of both these kids. those kids are victims not the murderers society has portrayed them to be.

Credits
    very few juveniles should be denied a second chance at life

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456