Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sentenced to life without parole at the age of 16

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Picong View Post
    that goes back to my point......I believe its better to target youths in an attempt to send them down the right path.........education is the key.........
    So you support rehabilitation but believe that it should be targeted at youths...well that has merit seeing that the vast majority of adults incarcerated started young and continued through the system.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by skeng View Post
    So you support rehabilitation but believe that it should be targeted at youths...well that has merit seeing that the vast majority of adults incarcerated started young and continued through the system.
    for none violent offenders yes............but I prefer resources to be concentrated on education and social programs targeting youths and families
    STATIC RADIO - www.islandmix.com/static
    Tunein Radio - Static Radio

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    that goes back to my point......I believe its better to target youths in an attempt to send them down the right path.........education is the key.........
    there are 'at-risk' characteristics that have been identified repeatedly by researchers. Unfortunately there has been less investment in intervention than compared to structural investments in the penal system. This is largely due the fact that politicians do not think that intervention strategies win votes...When it comes to crime too many adhere to the 'old testament' rhetoric.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleton View Post
    The trajedy is Skeng, North American prison systems were not built on a model of rehabilitation but punishment. As long as the mandate is punishing the guilty to protect the innocent this will continue. When someone goes to jail at 16 if they spend 15 years that's all their adult life in the penal system learning more sophisticated ways to be antisocial...Every effort is made to depersonalise the guilty. The public no longer sees them as human beings.
    Well said.

Credits
    for none violent offenders yes............but I prefer resources to be concentrated on education and social programs targeting youths and families
    Where do you draw a line about violent offenses? If I through a rock at you that missed and chased that is aggravated assault...if I kicked away your feet and grabbed your ipod and ran that's robbery.........should they be sentenced to 15 or 25 to life?

Credits
    Where do you draw a line about violent offenses? If I through a rock at you that missed and chased that is aggravated assault...if I kicked away your feet and grabbed your ipod and ran that's robbery.........should they be sentenced to 15 or 25 to life?
    Good post...I think many who advocate for punitive measures forget how easily in the 'context' of the law..how seemingly 'trivial' things can be constituted.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinjer View Post
    link?

my thoughts...I can't feel fully sorry for her. You do the crime then serve the time....however, I think her sentence was too harsh....I agree with Richard...15 years seems so much more appropriate but i don't know the facts of the case or what prompted the judge to make that decision. She should have at least gotten a chance at parole....but...
    I feel very sorry for her. She was 'molded' pimp from age 11 and raped by him at age 13. Then forced out on the streets. While she was wrong to kill him, he deserved punishment himself. And frankly, though we don't know the facts of this case, often women who are in prostitution are killed for trying to leave. It's often a kill or be killed issue.

The girl not only needed punishment but serious rehabilitation. She needed psychiatric help based on what she had been through.

Credits

Credits
    society as a whole should determine this..........same way there will be a need to determine who gets rehabilitated since we cannot do away with the prison system totally

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleton View Post
    there are 'at-risk' characteristics that have been identified repeatedly by researchers. Unfortunately there has been less investment in intervention than compared to structural investments in the penal system. This is largely due the fact that politicians do not think that intervention strategies win votes...When it comes to crime too many adhere to the 'old testament' rhetoric.
    beyond what researchers report im sure the educators on this board could tell numerous stories of this at work ifthey have been in the system long enough to see the transition from youth to adulthood

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dollbabi View Post
    I feel very sorry for her. She was 'molded' pimp from age 11 and raped by him at age 13. Then forced out on the streets. While she was wrong to kill him, he deserved punishment himself. And frankly, though we don't know the facts of this case, often women who are in prostitution are killed for trying to leave. It's often a kill or be killed issue.

The girl not only needed punishment but serious rehabilitation. She needed psychiatric help based on what she had been through.
    Yeah my heart bleeds for her..There are two victims here. Normal, healthy 11 year old girls are busy getting ready for high school and frolicking happily without a care in the world..To be 11 and be disempowered before you are old enough to even know what that means could only mess up her understanding of life and how she relates to others...

Good article

Credits
    society as a whole should determine this..........same way there will be a need to determine who gets rehabilitated since we cannot do away with the prison system totally
    How does society do that? through mandatory minimums...determinant sentencing? voting for politicians that preach get tough on crime?

Credits
    I see where you're coming from here Picong..but the risk is the majority can be wrong. If 90% of the adult population in a country wants the death penalty should it be instituted regardless of contrary evidence of it's effectiveness? The problem is people often have perceptions of the relative value of someone to society..That's why public perception can be dangerous. Being rehabilitated and the prison system doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. Effective rehabilitation mechanisms can exist within the system.

beyond what researchers report im sure the educators on this board could tell numerous stories of this at work ifthey have been in the system long enough to see the transition from youth to adulthood
    So true...many of these children are usually from single-parent households, lower socio-economic backgrounds, depressed cognitive, emotional and often physical development. Sometimes it just takes 1 person to care.

Credits
    How does society do that? through mandatory minimums...determinant sentencing? voting for politicians that preach get tough on crime?
    in theory people vote for politicians who are a reflection of them and their beliefs.........stop asking meh all dese friggin questions ....i eh have all d answers

LR Advertising LLC

Credits
    in theory people vote for politicians who are a reflection of them and their beliefs.........stop asking meh all dese friggin questions ....i eh have all d answers
    lol what I am trying show you is that politicians fanned the flames of fear to facilitate their own ambitions (read governing through crime)....Just like how they will use the threat of terrorism to do all manner of things abroad.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast