Thread: SENEGAL 0 : 1 TURKEY

Dragon

SENEGAL 0 : 1 TURKEY

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/afp/20020622/i/1946976271.jpg
    Turkey's defender Alpay Ozalan intercepts a ball in midair as Senegal's forward El Hadji Diouf (R) runs in vain during match 60 of the 2002 FIFA World Cup Korea Japan quarterfinals 22 June, 2002 in Osaka, Japan

[font color="Black" size="2" face="face"]IslandMix Sports
    Ilhan Mansiz scored a golden goal to give Turkey a victory in Osaka, Japan and move them into the semi-finals against Brazil. In the battle of the two surprising quarter-finalists, it was a scrappy match with neither side giving an inch.
    However, the Turks came out the brighter in extra time, and substitute Ilhan finished an Umit Davala’s cross beautifully. Senegal, who thrilled audiences with their style beating holders France in the tournament opener, go out having equalled the furthest an African team has ever advanced in the FIFA World Cup™.

Match facts

Both teams looked good in the attack early, with the likely suspects, Senegal’s El Hadji Diouf and Turkey’s Hasan Sas, leading the way. Although neither goalkeeper was tested in the first quarter hour, Diouf and Yildiray Basturk each had dangerous opportunities in the penalty area, but both were dispossessed before they could shoot.

Senegal were unlucky not to open the scoring when Khalilou Fadiga put his shot past Turkey keeper Recber Rustu only to see it stopped by Senegal forward Henri Camara. Although Camara managed to put his own shot in the net, the goal was disallowed when he was ruled offside (19’).

Hakan Sukur, Turkey’s all-time leading goal scorer who has been held scoreless in Korea/Japan, let a golden opportunity slip buy when a pass from Sas seemed to find Sukur ready to bury the ball into the back of the net from six metres, but his first touch let him down, and the ball rolled out of danger (28’).

Things did not get better for Sukur as the first half continued. He missed another gem of a chance when Ergun Penbe served a low cross from the left side that Sukur again failed to direct toward goal from in close (39’).

Omar Daf robbed Basturk of a goal shortly before half-time. Sas lofted a wonderful ball into the area, and Basturk headed it past Senegal keeper Tony Sylva, but Daf slid in to clear the ball off the line before it could roll into the goal (44’).

The second half started as the first did, with both teams looking dangerous. Diouf missed a goal by inches early in the second half as his free kick from 25 metres just missed the upper-right corner (53’). Then Basturk made a nice run to get free in the area, but his shot was blocked by a defender (55’).

After the early forays by each side, Turkey had a period of sustained pressure. It looked as though that pressure was to pay off when Umit Davala served a cross from the right that seemed destined to find Sukur, but a Senegal defender cleared it out of danger at the last instant (64’).

Scoring chances became far less frequent as the half wore on, and the Turkish defence especially did well to keep Diouf quiet. However, the Turkey attack seemed to get less precise. Basturk gave away a great opportunity when he got behind the defence and, instead of shooting, he inexplicably launched a cross that sailed well out of danger (77’).

In stoppage time Camara almost became Senegal’s goal hero for the second successive game, but Rustu did well to stop the Sedan man’s shot from the edge of the area (92’ ).

Turkey only needed four minutes of extra time to score the golden goal. Davala served a cross from the right touchline, and Ilhan Mansiz, who had come on for Sukur in the second half, swept the ball into the far-side netting with a beautiful half-volley from the edge of the goal area (94’).
    [/font]

[font color="Orange" size="4" face=""]Tickets are on sale for the july 6th party @ volume 2
    e-mail dragon@islandmix.com I will deliver your tickets *

you must live in Brooklyn ,Queens or Long Island
    [/font]

Credits

RE: Official Start of the summer

Credits

RE: SENEGAL 0 : 1 TURKEY

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-02 AT 12:53 PM (EST)]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/afp/20020622/i/2081193984.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/afp/20020622/i/1879924750.jpg

This match coulda gone either way.
    2 potential goals by Diouf and Camara and another one by Turkey. I'm still happy SeneGOAL got this far. Maybe next time. Gotta wait another 4 years. Then again...there's still the olympics. In the meantime I'll be pulling for Rivaldo and Ronaldo..I mean Brazil.

[font color="navy" size="3" face="Arial"]
    Modern democracy is not the freedom to run your life, but the freedom to choose who is going to run your life"
    [/font]