Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School or Money (need advise)

Credits

School or Money (need advise)

here's the scenerio...you have a part time job and going to school part time. You really want to get your degree because you have a very good chance of moving up in the company you work for. But the position you're holding down right now doesn't pay so great, and you have bills to pay.

You applied for a better paying postion at your job and got called for an interview and it's garanteed that you are going to be hired for the position but the hours of the positon conflict with your school. Keep in mind that you really want to get your degree.

What would you do take the better paying position or keep the position you have right now continue with school

Oh you're in your early 20's

$ CASH MONEY PROMOTIONS$ Dark & Lovely's Avatar Dark & Lovely is offline
    Credits
    WHAT I WOULD DO IF THE NEW POSITION ALLOWS IS ACCEPT THE POSITION AND NEXT SEMESTER SCHEDULE MY SCHOOLING AROUND MY NEW JOB (TAKE NIGHT CLASSES...OR IF THE POSITION IS IN THE NIGHT TAKE DAY CLASSES) BUT WHATEVER U DO DONT DROP OUT....
    "TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED
    TOO ANNOINTED TO BE DISAPPOINTED"

Credits
    GET THAT DEGREE. IT WILL PAY OFF IN THE END. EVEN LOOK INTO EVENING CLASSES OR DAY CLASSES DEPENDING ON THE WORK SCHEDULE YOU'RE OFFERED.

WHATEVER U DO...JUST GET THAT DEGREE.

Credits

Re: School or Money (need advise)

Originally posted by Gt_Dr3aD

What would you do take the better paying position or keep the position you have right now continue with school

Oh you're in your early 20's
    i would continue school..but it depend what you consider more important,,your long term or short term goals
    Some men move mountains
    Some women move men who move mountains
    Most women with mountains move some men
    But I...I am a woman who is moved by men who can get through the valley

Queen GodIs

Credits
    Go to school, pursue your degree. Talk done!

Measure ur life with Love Doctor's Daughter's Avatar Doctor's Daughter is offline
    Credits
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. MY MOTHER ONCE SAID AND ALWAYS SAYS IT, EDUCATION IS THE KEY TO SUCESS. SO I QUIT MY JOB AND TOOK OUT A SCHOOL LOAN. I WONT HAVE TO PAY IT BACK UNTIL SIX MONTHS AFTER I GRADUATE WITH MY DEGREE. WHICH GIVES ME ENOUGH TIME TO SETTLE IN A JOB AND PAY BACK MY BILLS. MAKE SURE AND DO SOMETHING AT THE SIDE THAT CAN HELP YOU PAY YOUR BILLS. LIKE HUSTLE, I USUALLY GO DOWN ON THE KEYS TO SING ON WEEKENDS, THATS HOW I HUSTLE MY MONEY. SO WHAT EVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT MAY WORK FOR YOU.
    The love of my life is an Imixer!!!

~DD~

Credits
    sexytrini and Perseverance the hours for the new position are kind of messed up...it 40hrs a week, and your work 4 days a week(wed - sat) so it's 10hrs a day(6am to 7:30pm) very long days so you can't really take that many classes Monday and Tuesday see the downfall

Credits
    Originally posted by hotandgroovy
    Go to school, pursue your degree. Talk done!
    No easy answer...but I agree with hotandgroovy....the earning power gained from having the degree would more than compensate. That said you have to weigh that long-term benefit against such short-term trivialities such as... food, rent...

Credits
    is it possible for you to take a leave of absence, or for your job to pay for you to go to school, and you find a little something to do off the books, to make the money for you to pay your bills?
    ~LoVe LiFe~ Modda suckkaz

$ CASH MONEY PROMOTIONS$ Dark & Lovely's Avatar Dark & Lovely is offline
    Credits
    HOW MANY DAYS DO U GO TO SCHOOL NOW ???
    "TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED
    TOO ANNOINTED TO BE DISAPPOINTED"

Credits
    Interesting question.. Yes your degree is very important however I would also like to state so is experience.. Most job inquiries that I see have to make provisions for experience in certain fields just to be politically correct.

If you feel that this new job offer is going to open roads for you and give you new oppurtunites to advance then I say take it.. And you can always finish up school or try to work it in your schedule as time allows. But again like many said it all depends on your goals..

Credits
    Get that degree in your hand first and foremost. It's hard enough to compete in the work for us without it in hand, so do that first then worry about making that paper, jus please finish school no matter what

Credits
    Very good question, I was thinking about those same decision about three weeks ago. I have a full time job and was also going to school full time but that was killing me, so now I'm going part time to school while I keep my full time job. For me, school is the most important thing right now but not having money is another stress in itself. I have decided to ask my company for four days a week instead of five to start with so I can take more than two clases at a time, but what I would really like to do, is only work three days. I'll see what they say. But as everyone was saying, don't drop out.

Credits
    unless you HAVE to take the job due to financial responsibilies, i would say finish school.

job opportunites are more likely to come along, than the chance to finish school...once you leave, or cut back, its harder to get back into it......

you'll spend the rest of your life working.....so get that foundation set first....

Credits
    I am goin thru this same situation so i am goin to share the advice w/ u that i got

stay in school dont drop out. What u could do is take the job and go to school part time. try to work the school around the job as long as u get that degree no matter how long u take it is good.

just remeber school will always be there but that particular job opportunity may not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast