Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TweetaFineeta
  • 1 Post By ladyrastafari

Thread: Sanitizing Literature: Should Words or phrases deemed offensive or non PC be removed.

Credits

Sanitizing Literature: Should Words or phrases deemed offensive or non PC be removed.

from books??

Should the Racial Epithets Be Removed From ‘Huck Finn’?
    Is the use of this racial epithet in the classroom different from its use outside the classroom? How?

A new edition of “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” is missing something.

Throughout the book — 219 times in all — the word “########################” is replaced by “slave,” a substitution that was made by NewSouth Books, a publisher based in Alabama, which plans to release the edition in February.

Alan Gribben, a professor of English at Auburn University at Montgomery, approached the publisher with the idea in July. Mr. Gribben said Tuesday that he had been teaching Mark Twain for decades and always hesitated before reading aloud the common racial epithet, which is used liberally in the book, a reflection of social attitudes in the mid-19th century.

“I found myself right out of graduate school at Berkeley not wanting to pronounce that word when I was teaching either ‘Huckleberry Finn’ or ‘Tom Sawyer,’ ” he said. “And I don’t think I’m alone.”

Mr. Gribben, who combined “Huckleberry Finn” with “Tom Sawyer” in a single volume and also supplied an introduction, said he worried that “Huckleberry Finn” had fallen off reading lists, and wanted to offer an edition that is not for scholars, but for younger people and general readers.

“I’m by no means sanitizing Mark Twain,” Mr. Gribben said. “The sharp social critiques are in there. The humor is intact. I just had the idea to get us away from obsessing about this one word, and just let the stories stand alone.” (The book also substitutes “Indian” for “injun.”)
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    No they shouldn't be removed. They should be used in the correct contexts, and they should provoke thought & conversation about these offensive words and terms mean, the times they were used in, how they continue to perpetuate etc.
    ladyrastafari likes this.

Credits
    No

Credits
    In other words:

Should teachers of the caucasion persuasion be allowed to say the N-word openly in class?..

hmmm... No.

Credits
    I think this guy is on the right track and they should be removed but has nothing to do w/ who should or should not be allowed to use the word. The issue isn't sanitizing the book, its not having more generations desensitized to offensive language. If we're bringing up more PC generations then they need to be conditioned to feel shock when they hear those words. The original versions will always be around for scholars/higher education but the ones for primary/middle school use should be edited.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    people still read Huck Finn in school? anyways.. I don't think that they should remove the words... the schools can choose not to use the book and choose a different book if they wish to be politically correct but i dont think remaking and sanitizing the book will do anything for society. Books are also products of their time... and i'd sure as hell hate to be reading Little Red Riding Hood and come upon the line that the wolf "shimmered" and made the Grandmother disappear (because "eating her" was too harsh or ambiguous in this politically corrrect world)...

sanitizing everything is what led to the rise of Elmo.. yuck.
    Teumessian Fox likes this.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    I think this guy is on the right track and they should be removed but has nothing to do w/ who should or should not be allowed to use the word. The issue isn't sanitizing the book, its not having more generations desensitized to offensive language. If we're bringing up more PC generations then they need to be conditioned to feel shock when they hear those words. The original versions will always be around for scholars/higher education but the ones for primary/middle school use should be edited.
    Hmmmm

I was of the thought that no they should not because it compromises the art and kinda takes away from the social climate of the area that peace of literature was written in to give readers a full understanding of what is going on... But after reading what you wrote, i kinda am leaning to your train of thought of not normalizing certain language for children in their formative years... That way they dont think its ok to use

your posts always provoke thought..
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    people still read Huck Finn in school? anyways.. I don't think that they should remove the words... the schools can choose not to use the book and choose a different book if they wish to be politically correct but i dont think remaking and sanitizing the book will do anything for society. Books are also products of their time... and i'd sure as hell hate to be reading Little Red Riding Hood and come upon the line that the wolf "shimmered" and made the Grandmother disappear (because "eating her" was too harsh or ambiguous in this politically corrrect world)...

sanitizing everything is what led to the rise of Elmo.. yuck.
    Classics like Huck Finn and them will never go away.

sorry, the story already been changed. Gone is the wolf ate them and the woodcutter kills him and they come out his belly..now its that the woodcutter comes and frightens him away before he eats anyone and he's never heard from again.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    Hmmmm

I was of the thought that no they should not because it compromises the art and kinda takes away from the social climate of the area that peace of literature was written in to give readers a full understanding of what is going on... But after reading what you wrote, i kinda am leaning to your train of thought of not normalizing certain language for children in their formative years... That way they dont think its ok to use

your posts always provoke thought..
    That's the key. Huck Finn usually comes up around 4th grade. The real thing can be disseminated later. I remember reading the Tale of Two Cities in Primary School then going back to it in my senior year. Two completely different readings.

Thanks.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Credits
    and that's just the thing.. everything is dumbed down and sanitized and then when these kids grow up, they have some experience that traumatizes them.... i dont think that having that word in a book is going to really impact the "pc" trend of the world.. but at the same time, the PC trend is not universal... while there is backlash for saying and doing certain things... these things havent been eradicated nor will I foresee them being totally wiped out due to the clandestine nature of things... PC means that you cant call somebody a nigg3r to their face but does that mean they won't hear it elsewhere or in other situations.. does that mean that you won't use it and have more meaning behind it now because it's "forbidden"..

This is a tricky situation.. I mean.. honestly now that I'm hearing that the Golliwogs, by good ole Enid Blyton was racist.. i never once thought that while reading it back then.. I guess i just thought of the golliwogs as rag dolls.. like Raggedy Ann and Andy... I read Huckleberry Finn and didn't think twice about it because i found it a book about stuff that didnt interest me.. the country, fishing etc.. not my scene. lol.. I can see a white professor not wanting to discuss that word, due to the nature of the word and maybe should just use another book.. but they could ask the parents if they object to Huckleberry finn being used. and if the parents object then find another book..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    and that's just the thing.. everything is dumbed down and sanitized and then when these kids grow up, they have some experience that traumatizes them.... i dont think that having that word in a book is going to really impact the "pc" trend of the world.. but at the same time, the PC trend is not universal... while there is backlash for saying and doing certain things... these things havent been eradicated nor will I foresee them being totally wiped out due to the clandestine nature of things... PC means that you cant call somebody a nigg3r to their face but does that mean they won't hear it elsewhere or in other situations.. does that mean that you won't use it and have more meaning behind it now because it's "forbidden"..

This is a tricky situation.. I mean.. honestly now that I'm hearing that the Golliwogs, by good ole Enid Blyton was racist.. i never once thought that while reading it back then.. I guess i just thought of the golliwogs as rag dolls.. like Raggedy Ann and Andy... I read Huckleberry Finn and didn't think twice about it because i found it a book about stuff that didnt interest me.. the country, fishing etc.. not my scene. lol.. I can see a white professor not wanting to discuss that word, due to the nature of the word and maybe should just use another book.. but they could ask the parents if they object to Huckleberry finn being used. and if the parents object then find another book..

the thing is the times we live in.. Maybe if the "En Eye Double Gee Ay" word wasnt used so rampantly, things wouldnt to be modified for kids

Carl G. Jung