Thread: Royal Motorcade: Four Dead As Car Hits Crowd

Credits

Royal Motorcade: Four Dead As Car Hits Crowd

Watch the video - craziness! Its so sad.

Netherlands: Holland car rams royal motorcade reports four dead many injured - Sky News Video Player

3:11pm UK, Thursday April 30, 2009

At least four people are reported to have been killed and around 13 hurt in The Netherlands after a car careered into spectators watching a royal motorcade.

People were flung through the air after the car swerved across police railings

A photographer said the small car appeared to be deliberately driving at high speed toward an open-top bus carrying Queen Beatrix and her family in the western Dutch town of Apeldoorn.

Cynthia Boll said she saw about 20 people "flying through the air" after the black Suzuki car swerved across police railings, where crowds of people were waiting to see the queen pass.

The car slammed into a monument. Video footage showed police removing a man from the vehicle and putting him into an ambulance.

It was like watching a horror movie

Witness Peter von de Vorst

The royal family were seen clutching their hands to their mouths in shock as the incident happened before their eyes.

People have been tweeting about the crash, saying the royals saw what happened and were shocked.

The royal bus was not hit and no one in the queen's entourage was injured.

Journalist Peter von de Vorst said the incident was like watching a horror movie.

"It was a really nice day. Then you hear a bang. Everyone looks up and you see people flying through the air. This must be a joke or a strange prank. Then suddenly panic, and you realise that something really terrible has happened," he said.

Royal family reacts to horror in front of them

Dutch television said two people were killed and about a dozen injured, including children.

Shortly after the incident, investigators and a sniffer dog examined the car for explosives, then sawed off the roof for a closer inspection.

People were lining railings five or six deep to see the royal family pass on its way to a palace. The motorcade was part of celebrations for the annual national holiday of Queen's Day.

Fred de Graaf, the Mayor of Apeldoorn - a town about 55 miles from Amsterdam - said all festivities were being cancelled.

"The scare and the images that the family has seen are reason to break off the official programme," he said.

Holiday events were also called off in the port city of Rotterdam, and more were likely to be cancelled around the country.

Hundreds of thousands of people flock to the main Dutch cities to celebrate the national holiday, originally intended to celebrate the birthday of Beatrix's mother Queen Juliana.

The royal family normally spends the day in a small Dutch community.
    ****It's not about everybody knowing who you are, but living your life in a way that everybody wants to know who you are****

Taj
    Credits
    sad.

terrorism or a deranged individual?

sad association with a nat'l holiday now
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    shoulda have ah bomb in it too.
    STATUS UPDATE: (6/11/11)
    Nigerians are great people

Credits
    Damn that's messed up.
    Sometimes being a Bitc* is the only thing a woman has to hold onto

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    sad.

terrorism or a deranged individual?

sad association with a nat'l holiday now
    They took the driver away, I guess you have to be somewhat derranged to be a terrorist. I haven't read anymore than the above.

You're right, the holiday will forever be marked by this day.
    ****It's not about everybody knowing who you are, but living your life in a way that everybody wants to know who you are****

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Deionjones2 View Post
    shoulda have ah bomb in it too.

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca-Honey View Post
    They took the driver away, I guess you have to be somewhat derranged to be a terrorist. I haven't read anymore than the above.

Like what caused homie to do that. Some people are just real sick in the head.

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca-Honey View Post

I guess i wondering what classifies a terrorist. individual vs acting in concert with an organization.

I was more looking at him being crazy like a stalker and wanted to be close to them or some kinda death pact vs trying to kill the leaders and bring some sort of vindication to the country.

“A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    I guess i wondering what classifies a terrorist. individual vs acting in concert with an organization.

I was more looking at him being crazy like a stalker and wanted to be close to them or some kinda death pact vs trying to kill the leaders and bring some sort of vindication to the country.

All the above are a possibility.

Credits
    after that the place just get real dead... everybody just pack up and went home in most of the towns

Its a shame the man did that. and then to tell them it was intentional I hope they give him 2 life sentences for that.

Credits
    Dutch royal attack driver 'dies'

The driver of a car that killed five people after crashing into crowds watching a Dutch royal parade has died from his injuries, Dutch media reports.

He died in hospital overnight, NOS TV quoted unnamed sources as saying.

The man sustained life-threatening injuries after his attempted attack on the royal family on Thursday.

His car crashed into a monument after ploughing into bystanders who were marking Queen's Day at Apeldoorn, some 90km (56 miles) east of Amsterdam.

Television pictures showed members of the royal family looking on in horror from an open-topped bus as the incident unfolded metres away from them.

Twelve people remain injured in hospital.

Officials said on Thursday the 38-year-old Dutch national had confessed to police that he intended to attack the royal family.

After searching the car and his home, investigators ruled out terrorism as a motive and said it appeared he had acted alone.

Karst T named as Dutch royal attacker | World Breaking News | News.com.au
    Last edited by carib_xtc; 05-01-2009 at 04:14 AM.