Thread: Ronnie Mac jumps to find new 'energy'

Dragon

Ronnie Mac jumps to find new 'energy'

http://www.guardian.co.tt/ron.jpg

By Juhel Browne

Having crossed the seas of soca to the Atlantik from Blue Ventures, Ronnie Mc Intosh has no hard feelings.
    "That whole decision had no animosity in it," Mc Intosh said when interviewed last Thursday at his men's clothing store, J-Ron.

"I think we had a good-sounding band. Both Ryan and I wish them all the best."
    Earlier in the week, McIntosh and drummer Bryan "Ragga" Williams had resigned from Blue Ventures. Both had left Chandelier to join Blue Ventures in September 1996. With Williams and the rest of Blue Ventures behind him, Mc Intosh released "Ent" in 1997 and "How it go look" in 1998 - both Carnival hits.

Mc Intosh said he had had some "problems" with Blue Ventures manager Bobby Quan when they both were in Chandelier five years before. But his departure this time was for none of the usual reasons - musical differences, money, or management.

McIntosh identified one problem they had with the band - its stage performances. (Last Carnival, McIntosh shared the Blue Ventures front line with two sexily-clad women singers with popular songs, Sanell Dempster, former Road March winner, and Lima Calbio.)
    "We were unhappy with the presentation," he said.
    McIntosh declared the "energy" was missing.

"Ragga and myself had been deliberating this situation for some time," he said.
    "If we were going to give this business x amount of years again, we didn't see us staying with Blue Ventures."
    McIntosh is the son of legendary calypso arranger Art De Coteau, who died in 1987.
    "He died a few weeks before I went in the studio to do my first song 'Happy.' It was unfortunate he was not around to hear me record," McIntosh said.

However, he believes his father's "vibes" have been with him throughout his musical career and expects this will not change, as he establishes himself as an entrepreneur.
    McIntosh said several artistes have recorded with his Mc D Knife label, including Trevor B from Canada and Blue Ventures vocalist Curtis "Spongy" Oliver.

At his clothing store on Thursday, which he opened in a partnership with his brother-in-law, Junior John, the McIntosh energy was evident. Music was blaring from a radio in a back room and McIntosh and his staff, were animated.

Although a new venture for McIntosh, the clothing business is familiar to his family and in-laws.
    His mother, Daphne Mc Intosh has been in the business for 20 years, and sews all her son's trademark trench coats. Daphne, and McIntosh's wife, Caroline, his mother-in-law, Carlotta John and his sister in-law, Carla, own and operate five women's clothing stores located in Voyager Mall, Golden Doors Plaza and Aboutique Mall.
    "I always believe that entertainers, when they are enjoying a certain level of success, they need to do (other) things. They need to invest their money ," Mc Intosh said.

"I have seen other artistes go through their entire careers and have nothing to show for it."
    McIntosh is firm that his involvement in the clothing business will not overshadow his music. J-Ron presents an opportunity for him to connect with fans on a one-to-one basis and an avenue for distributing his music. By Carnival 2002, J-Ron will sell Atlantik CDs, and those of other soca artistes.

He believes Atlantik's owner, Cliff Harris, has long been trying to achieve international success for the band.
    "I think what he was saying is he did not have the correct personnel and staff to do it," he said.
    About the progress of soca music, he said: "I'm not satisfied at all. We are ranking poor in the international market. I think people from abroad are accustomed to quality stuff, whether it is jazz or hip-hop. We feel we can just do anything and send it out to the international market."

Credits

RE: Ronnie Mac jumps to find new 'energy'

Best of wishes family!!! Good Luck to you and Ragga...I am very anxious to see the band next year.

Peace and Love
    socababy

Credits
    2,466,130,003,239,999,894,719,398,969,643,979,951,637,561,03 2,240,627,990,921,216

Ronnie will be in Miami Carnival with Atlantik

Credits

yeah but i wont be there, so i will have to see the band next yr. january, please God.

pangea

Does that mean "Sexy Body" man Kurt Allen will be leaving Atlantik? If is me, I will take Allen over Ronnie for writing and vocal ability. Nah, both ah dem could sing though. If Atlantik keep both, they go be good. So Sanelle Dempster is now the official leader of Blue Ventures I assume!

Credits

hopefully this relationship go be good for the both of them.....i with ronnie,always representing the culture!!!

Credits

RE: TAKE NOT THE WORDS OF THE BABYLON BIBLE LITERALLY

Credits

>About the progress of soca music,
    >he said: "I'm not satisfied
    >at all. We are ranking
    >poor in the international market.
    >I think people from abroad
    >are accustomed to quality stuff,
    >whether it is jazz or
    >hip-hop. We feel we can
    >just do anything and send
    >it out to the international
    >market."

Hopefully this move is for the best and can facilitate a positive progression for Soca music. Best wishes to Ronnie and to the remaining members of Blue Ventures.

Blessings!!!

Credits

I heard about this for a long time now and one person who resides in Newyork said he might be a part of Blue Ventures so I hope everything works out for him now that it is official. Watch out for de Rodeo.