Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rihanna A Sell-Out Who Makes BubbleGum Pop Music

NaturalBornRidah

Is Rihanna A Sell-Out Who Makes BubbleGum Pop Music

I really don't know why a lot of Caribbean people are defending this chick like she is the Golden Child or something.

She is really making pop music and is nowhere near making music of the Caribbean.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornRidah View Post
    I really don't know why a lot of Caribbean people are defending this chick like she is the Golden Child or something.

She is really making pop music and is nowhere near making music of the Caribbean.
    was she ever a caribbean music artists... Wasnt she always a pop artists.. how did she sell out

and isnt it normal to feel a connection to someone who come from the same background and culture as we did in all walks? whats wrong with that
    Last edited by Hello BKLYN; 08-04-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    The Caribbean have many talented people, clasical pionist, jazz artist, rap and hip hop artist, pop artist and artist who do Caribean music like Zouk, Reggae, Soca, Kaiso....who are you to say that because you are from the Caribaean that you should only do Caribbean music...that is a pretty narrow view dont you think....

As for Rihanna she is a pop artist...I am not into pop myself but I do like some of her songs, however as a Bajan i am happy that she has been able to acheive what she has...
    We going from Sun til Sun.......

Credits
    As for the defending part I call a spade a spade.... sometimes she wrong sometimes she right sometimes people just give de girl talk cause dem aint got nuttin else to do

NaturalBornRidah
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    was she ever a caribbean music artists... Wasnt she always a pop artists.. how did she sell out

and isnt it normal to feel a connection to someone who come from the same background and culture as we did in all walks? whats wrong with that
    Her first song was Pon De Replay and she has other countless songs like she is making reggae and dancehall music.

What I don't understand is why are people defending her like she is a big star or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Apple View Post
    The Caribbean have many talented people, clasical pionist, jazz artist, rap and hip hop artist, pop artist and artist who do Caribean music like Zouk, Reggae, Soca, Kaiso....who are you to say that because you are from the Caribaean that you should only do Caribbean music...that is a pretty narrow view dont you think....

As for Rihanna she is a pop artist...I am not into pop myself but I do like some of her songs, however as a Bajan i am happy that she has been able to acheive what she has...
    I didn't say that you should only do Caribbean music.But guess what there are other artist that came before her from the Caribbean like Patra and didn't get the credit they deserved.

There were people who were accused of being sell outs and making cross over dancehall music and chastised for it.

The other thing is that people are making her out to be a victim or something when she puts her self out there.

And i am not speaking about this crop-over thing,she dresses in skimpy clad outfits in every one of her shows and events.
    Last edited by NaturalBornRidah; 08-04-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Credits
    Her first song was Pon De Replay and she has other countless songs like she is making reggae and dancehall music.

What I don't understand is why are people defending her like she is a big star or something.

I didn't say that you should only do Caribbean music. But guess what there are other artist that came before her like Patra and didn't get the credit they deserved.
    But wait what you really saying though....
    You said...
    "She is really making pop music and is nowhere near making music of the Caribbean."

and my point is she or nobody else in de caribbean is obligated to make Caribbean music...an artist is free to use his/her talent as they freely choose.. You even then turn round and say that some of her music have C'bean inlfluence .....hmmmm

Nudda next ting...yes she is a big star...whether you like her or not de women got nuff No 1, she got Grammy, World Awards and many other accolades...stuppse

As for Patra the REGGAE artist what does she have to do about this discussion...

Credits

I AGREE with most of what you said, but there is nothing BUBBLEGUM about this one.

NaturalBornRidah
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Apple View Post
    But wait what you really saying though....
    You said...
    "She is really making pop music and is nowhere near making music of the Caribbean."

and my point is she or nobody else in de caribbean is obligated to make Caribbean music...an artist is free to use his/her talent as they freely choose.. You even then turn round and say that some of her music have C'bean inlfluence .....hmmmm

Nudda next ting...yes she is a big star...whether you like her or not de women got nuff No 1, she got Grammy, World Awards and many other accolades...stuppse

As for Patra the REGGAE artist what does she have to do about this discussion...
    She is making pop music and not making it for the Caribbean. WIs are all happy and jittery because she gets to much lime light. But for what?

Where did I say she is making songs with Caribbean influence are you misquoting me or something?

Of course she is making music that is pop music but is attempting to label it dance hall and reggae, thats what I mean.

My thing is there are other artist in the US of Caribbean descent who make pop music and were even mainstream but do not get the same kind of support when they are in a jam.

And is far as Patra in the discussion I am just saying they are many other artist that should of gotten the spotlight way before Rihanna should have. That's one example.

Credits

i have no problem with ppl defending her..is de HYPOCRITES that wud defend her and fight down another woman for doing the same thing is who i cant stand...dem need to go drown inna St.Thomas Pond
    Genie: i will grant you three wishes

Woman: *in vextation* i wish meh daughter will haul she mudda cont!

Genie: as you wish

Woman: whoa..wait ah min..wat di... *cont flies true window*

NaturalBornRidah
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    I AGREE with most of what you said, but there is nothing BUBBLEGUM about this one.

Man you know like I know that is as Bubble gum as it can get.

NaturalBornRidah
    Quote Originally Posted by Mz.Breadfruit View Post
    i have no problem with ppl defending her..is de HYPOCRITES that wud defend her and fight down another woman for doing the same thing is who i cant stand...dem need to go drown inna St.Thomas Pond
    My thing is, I really don't see her whining up at crop over too bad.As far as her out fits and other things I really could care either. Its a lot of her other behavior that is disdainful to me, she is cocky,rude,and lies.I feel like many WIs and especially IMIXers on this board are quick to defend her like she is the Ambassador for the Caribbean .

Credits
    She is making pop music and not making it for the Caribbean. WIs are all happy and jittery because she gets to much lime light. But for what?

Where did I say she is making songs with Caribbean influence are you misquoting me or something?

Of course she is making music that is pop music but is attempting to label it dance hall and reggae, thats what I mean.

My thing is there are other artist in the US of Caribbean descent who make pop music and were even mainstream but do not get the same kind of support when they are in a jam.

And is far as Patra in the discussion I am just saying they are many other artist that should of gotten the spotlight way before Rihanna should have. That's one example.
    When did rihanna attempt to lable her pop music dancehall and reggae... the only official reggae song she Came out with that I know of is man down... she has always been a pop artist with a couple caribbean songs... of course some of her songs are going to have a sort of caribbean influence.. that's where she is from but it has always been pop... pon di replay was a pop song with a lttle caribbean infleunce...

and as far patra go I fail to see the comparrison, she had some talent but did not have a big lable and big marketing behind her... doesn't mean patra was not supported by the caribbean community, she just wasn't in as much controversey and had as much attention as rhianna

I swear u are king at arguing over the most inane things... or pick the most inane parts of a topic to gripe about
    Last edited by Hello BKLYN; 08-04-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    the healthy man does not torture others - generally it is the tortured who turn into torturers.

Carl G. Jung

Credits
    She is making pop music and not making it for the Caribbean. WIs are all happy and jittery because she gets to much lime light. But for what? I can only assume that other WIs are happy because she too is WI and have been able to achieve this much

You said..."Her first song was Pon De Replay and she has other countless songs like she is making reggae and dancehall music."

My thing is there are other artist in the US of Caribbean descent who make pop music and were even mainstream but do not get the same kind of support when they are in a jam. I take your point but asking for support for these other artist does not have to be done by trying to bring down another arist

And is far as Patra in the discussion I am just saying they are many other artist that should of gotten the spotlight way before Rihanna should have. That's one example. In my opinion, Patra being a dancehall artist, it would have been dificult for her to do the same thing Rihanna is doing during that period of time in that genre of music
    This is my issue....you mek a thread talking bout how people treat Rihanna like Golden chile and she dont do Caribbean music blah blah blah... and I think that that is a sad way to look at things....why cant we as Caribbean people support all of our artist no matter what genre they sing.... whether it be Nicki Minaj, Ricki Minaj, Rihanna, Shontelle or Machel

Credits
    it's not really RIHANNA THE STAR people defending, it's they way the media is trying to portray THE PERSON

if u caribbean U KNOW how people get on in celebration..wine and grind...that dont make her a slut, GIRL DOES WINE UP ON GIRL (dem friend). MAN DOES JAM GIRL (naturally) lol

news media talking about IT DIDNT TAKE RIHANNA LONG TO GET BACK TO HER TRASHY WAYS...wtf?

NaturalBornRidah
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello BKLYN View Post
    When did rihanna attempt to lable her pop music dancehall and reggae... the only official reggae song she Came out with that I know of is man down... she has always been a pop artist.. of course some of her songs are going to have a sort of caribbean influence.. that's where she is from but it has always been pop... pon di replay was a pop song with a lttle caribbean infleunce...

and as far patra go I fail to see the comparrison, she had some talent but did not have a big lable and big marketing behind her... doesn't mean patra was not supported by the caribbean community, she just wasn't in as much controversey and had as much attention as rhianna

I swear u are king at arguing over the most inane things...
    What does an artist backing from a label has to do with anything of the caribbean rallying to support theirs.

Pon Di Replay was an attempt to market herself as caribbean artist , I really don't know how you would label that song but she was attempting to reach an audience.Even when she is on shows she tries to label herself as a staple of the Caribbean.

Why didn't people back up Foxxy Brown when she was in a jam, I could care less about that b!tch,but she is of Caribbean descent do they really feel Rihanna supports the Caribbean in some kind of way.

Rihanna gets to much credit than she deserves bottom line.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast