Thread: Portia Simpson: Enigma Or Disappointment

Credits

Portia Simpson: Enigma Or Disappointment

Portia one year later: enigma or disappointment?

Geof Brown
    Friday, March 02, 2007

Geof Brown
    The verdict is moot. Some see failure, some see her holding her own quite well. Some are surprised she is still in place with no sign of a palace revolt from the higher ranks of her party. Some are still expecting her to fall flat on her face.
    Some find it incredible that her foreign visits have brought her high regard. Some like myself see an enigma defying outright dismissal on the one hand or total embrace on the other. Very few are simply dispassionate and making judgement on the facts rather than on their expectations, whether for or against her. Perhaps never has there been a Jamaican prime minister so fully accepted by some and so fully rejected by others at one and the same time.

I say enigma because the facts do not support total failure or collapse of the country or the economy under the prime minister's one-year watch, while at the same time strong praise has come from unlikely quarters. Colleague columnist Kevin O'Brien Chang makes the telling point that if the country had gone belly-up (my words) under Portia's one-year watch, we would have blamed her for it. Therefore, that things have not got worse or in some ways better, the PM must be given credit for that too. Rickey Singh, perhaps the most celebrated columnist alive in the Caribbean, gave strong commendation to the PM's performance at the Caribbean heads of government conference, while she was still a rookie in the office.

The prime minister of St Vincent Ralph Gonsalves is one of the undoubted intellectuals among Caribbean politicians. Last week he was heard on a premier talk-show radio programmme Breakfast Club praising the chairmanship by the Jamaican prime minister of the Caribbean government heads re matters of Caricom. He described her as "being on top of the issues". Contrast that with the local heavy media criticism of her as being grossly inappropriate in her remarks in response to criticism. Even a rather scurrilous cartoon made her out to be worse than a guttersnipe. (Incidentally, I join many others - friends and foes of the prime minister - in decrying the total lack of taste and betrayal of his own uncivil lack of class by the cartoonist.)

So some can be forgiven for asking, "Will the real Portia Simpson Miller please stand up?" The Jamaican commentators can be easily classified into the pros and the cons. Veteran columnist Dawn Ritch has never deviated from strong support and extolling Portia's strong points. Lambert Brown, trade union head and columnist, has similarly been a steadfast supporter. Mark Wignall has gone from being a worshipful backer and supporter to being the most consistently devastating detractor. ("With friends like these?") Kevin O'B Chang has stayed one of the more objective analysts typified by his column in the Sunday Gleaner of February 25. Similarly, Lloyd B Smith, one of the most respected of Jamaican columnists, has stayed objective and is neither consistently pro or con. Mutty Perkins is consistently an anti-government critic and is therefore predictable. (Incidentally, there was the most asinine criticism of Lloyd B in a recent letter to the Observer by one of those cowardly would-be critics sitting remotely in the comfort of North America knowing - they think - everything of Jamaica, yet knowing nothing but their own confirmed biases).

Personally, I have never been one of those who had the euphoric unrealistic expectations. It seemed crazy to me that some expected a complete turnaround of the country and the economy in the first three to six months, forgetting that the new PM had been part of the government they despised, for more than three terms. So my own position was a "wait-and-see", the same courtesy I would have given a Bruce Golding, were he at the helm. I knew from my exposure to political science and many years of observing politics in several countries, that a 78 per cent approval rate was unsustainable. The slippage that followed was as much a disappointment of the Messianic expectation of some, as it was a failure to undo the policies and practices of
    the previous government as others unrealistically expected.

Now that a year has passed and her high popularity rating has fallen to a more realistic level, with a year under her belt, we should now see the real shape of Portia Simpson Miller. Can she maintain the slim lead over the Opposition? Can she carry the lead over her opponent Bruce Golding of the JLP Opposition? Certainly her party has united under her leadership, having defied the confident prognosticators who prophesied the break-up and rebellion? Just two days ago, her party moved a vote of confidence in her leadership. Is this then the real Portia Simpson Miller standing up? We will now see for sure in relatively short order. As one Grace Asphall noted in a letter to the editor on February 28, it is silly to waste time on the phonics of Portia. Bustamante, Shearer, Barrant - all sterling political performers - had similar gaffes. She did not even mention Bush and his celebrated slip-ups. Read her letter.

SOURCE

Taj
    Credits
    I was gonna ask bout her but i forgot

a few JA ppl I've spoken to seem to be fed up of her saying in essence she ended up being more of a figurehead for the same ole boys network instead of a vehicle for change

one example they used was the 31Million missing dollars that a Dutch company gave to the country.....

lemme go refresh my details..

vp u know what i talking bout?
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    I was gonna ask bout her but i forgot

a few JA ppl I've spoken to seem to be fed up of her saying in essence she ended up being more of a figurehead for the same ole boys network instead of a vehicle for change

one example they used was the 31Million missing dollars that a Dutch company gave to the country.....

lemme go refresh my details..

vp u know what i talking bout?
    Yuh talking about the Trafigura scandal... the money was given back.