Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Philly Soul vs. Detroit Motown.

Credits

Philly Soul vs. Detroit Motown.

Which of the two giants of the golden age of yesteryear do you hold in higher regard?

I know Motown was FAR more commercially successful in both hits and artists than Philly Soul of the 70s, but the Philly Soul era just had some beautifully arranged ballads and I felt they took more time and effort to put into songs. The Four Tops and Temptations were MUCH more successful and had bigger hits than the Stylistics. But the Stylistics more got to me. Motown ran the 60s and Philly Soul took over the 70s. Credit to the Godfather of the Philly Soul movement: Jamaica's Thom Bell the master arranger.

I look at Motown as more of a representative for America as a whole (and beyond it's shores) whereas the Philly Soul movement was most popular to Afro-Americans.

My personal favourite ballad from Philly:

optimizm likes this.
    "I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Credits
    Billy Paul is my favorite.

Philly for sure.

Credits
    The Philly Intruders - I Want to know your name:

Damn the days where you'd court a woman instead of trying to hit up a piece of ass,lol.

"I will forewarn you......fear ye him when thou hast died hath power to cast into hell" - Charles Lawson

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by optimizm View Post
    Billy Paul is my favorite.

Philly for sure.
    He had that one "infidelity" hit and that's it if I'm not mistaken,lol. What is it about Philly Soul made it more likeable than Motown to you?

Credits
    Time to show Motown some love. This is incredible to see the Four Tops and Temptations singing in unison with no rivalry whatsoever with smiles on their faces. Great to see. Only sad part is David Ruffin wasn't present, he was in his demise at that stage of his life.

Even more incredible is to see Bill Cosby doing the intro.....I wonder what music today you could get Cosby to come and host for? lol.

Credits
    Representing Motown again. I remember when I saw Smokey live in concert back in '83....didn't know at the time he was so heavy into cocaine. Thankfully unlike some of his contemporaries he overcame his demons:

This song was huge!

dev
    Credits
    Do not forget DETROIT and CHICAGO had their own thing too..Detroit soul and Chi-soul...and the South was experimenting with cajun and deep soul.
    "What kind of mirror image do you have of yourself?"

"TAWK YUH TAWK, DOAN BODDER ME. TAWK DOAN BUY GROCERIES."

NaturalBornRidah
    No such thing as Philly Soul to me, i believe the other name was Philly Motown Sound, Philly Soul was just an extension of the Motown sound since it birthed it.

Credits
    Must be Detroit Motown... Even today Mayer Hawthorne is bringing back that old school vibe...
    Seven is the number of the natural world. There are 7 days in the week, 7 notes on the musical scale and 7 directions (left, right, up, down, forward, back and center). The Sages teach that seven are the attributes of physicality: Height, Width, Depth, Top and Bottom (limits height), Front and Back (limits width), Left and Right (limits depth), the connecting of the other six.

Gladiator
    I tink Motown has a bigger impact, but personally for me i will give Philly soul the edge

Credits
    Soul from Philly all the way, if the Motown chune was produced by Norman Whitfield I'd buy it.

Credits

Thumbs up

DerMonger,

I know you from up north, but I can confirm for you that Philly sound had it on lock in NYC……by far, well, ask any olde head from NYC…. This song here was the National Anthem of B-Boys in NYC…….

MFSB - Love Is The Message (NYC Remix)

They, MFSB, did a special Mix ( Dub) for WBLS back in the Days…..this shit here was straight gangsta….trust me !

Credits

Thumbs up

oh...and I know you know....but they also ( MFSB ) had the Big song for " Soul Train " also .......

The Sound Of Philadephia ......

Credits

Thumbs up

Alos...another Monster , and I do mean monster hit.....in NYC clubs....another Philly artist :

Karen Young : Hot Shot

If you dont know the song...well, it was the break at 2:35 they mixed.

Credits

Thumbs up

Man.....Motown had no answer for this....:

Aint No Stopping Us Now by Mcfadden and Whitehead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast