Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peruivan MEN beat women DAILY

Credits

Thumbs down Peruivan MEN beat women DAILY

LIMA, Peru (Reuters) - Marlin Mata has awakened from a coma she suffered after throwing herself from a moving bus to escape two men trying to rape her, but Peru is still deep in the nightmare of spiraling violence against women.

More than half of all Peruvian women over the age of 15 say they have suffered sexual or physical violence by men during their lifetime -- one of the world's highest rates.

"I want justice for my sister. We can't let this kind of thing happen again and again," said Judith Mata, standing next to Marlin, 21, who still bears a bite mark in her bruised cheek from the recent attack.

Sexual violence against women in Peru is now so bad that Peru's President-elect Alan Garcia, who takes office on Friday, made it one of his central campaign issues and has vowed to tackle the problem and give women a greater say in government.

Male frustration at high unemployment in Peru despite the country' unprecedented economic growth since 2002 and a corrupt justice system that rarely makes convictions are exacerbating violence against women in an already macho society.

"The violence is a direct consequence of poverty," Peru's Women's Minister Ana Maria Romero told Reuters.

According to the United Nations, Peru is one of the most dangerous places for women in Latin America, a region that had the world's highest number of sexual assaults last year.

Cases like Mata's are reported almost daily basis by the local tabloid media, with incidents ranging from rape to murder.

"Jealous Man Strangles Wife!" and "Man Kills Wife After She Asked For Divorce!" are just two of the hundreds of headlines compiled in a study by Amnesty International and Peruvian organization Flora Tristan, which works to protect women.

The study found that more than 300 women have been killed by men committing sexual violence in Peru since 2003, even in cases when victims asked for police protection.

CULTURE OF VIOLENCE

Some 51 percent of women in Lima and 69 percent of women in the southern Andean city of Cuzco said they have been victims of sexual or physical violence, the study added.

Indeed, the level of violence surges dramatically in Peru's impoverished rural areas.

In the southern Huancavelica province where 90 percent of the population lives in extreme poverty, the rate of sexual and physical violence against women is ranked as one of the world's worst in a recent study by the World Health Organization.

Half of Peru's 13 million workers are underemployed, meaning they are forced into badly paid positions below their qualifications.

That stress of not having a decent job is unleashed onto female partners. More than 60 percent of women who reported being victims of domestic violence in Peru consider the economic crisis at home as the main trigger of violence, according to Amnesty International.

But according to the WHO study, violence against women in Peru is worse than in countries with lower economic development such as Ethiopia, Bangladesh or Namibia
    Agitate until we create a stable society that benefits all our people.
    Instigate the nation until we remedy the injustices of society.
    Motivate our people to set a meaningful path for coming generations.
    Educate our people to free our minds and develop our consciousness

Mwongozi Cudjoe (Chedmond Browne)
    Chairman of Free Montserrat United Movement

Credits
    That is partly because of a corrupt judicial system and because violence against women has become almost the norm in Peruvian society.

"Violence against women is part of our culture and the judicial system is no help," said Doris Blas, a lawyer representing Mata and a member of Lima-based foundation Manuela Ramos, which works to uphold women's rights.

'WERE YOU DRESSING SEXY?'

In rape cases, the responsibility of the crime falls on the victim's shoulders in Peru, as police and judges require women to prove their innocence before prosecuting the aggressor.

"Were you dressing sexy? Why you were walking alone so late at night?," are the kind of questions raped women face when they file a report with the police, says Carolina Ruiz, a lawyer at Flora Tristan.

Government doctors are also unwilling to confirm that a woman has been raped to avoid participation in often tedious judicial processes that can last more than two years.

"In most of the cases, doctors decline to issue a certificate of rape, arguing the woman has previously had sexual relations," Ruiz said.

The few women who do go forward and try to convict a rapist often end up dropping the charges because the legal proceedings are so tortuous, Ruiz added.

Nevertheless, faced with the rise of violent crimes against women, many in Peruvian society have begun to demand tougher laws and punishments for rapists. The result has so far been an increase in prison sentences for sexual abusers, which in the case of rapists who prey on young girls can mean up to life in prison.

But in practice, the new laws and even the presence of more women in public life has not made much impact.

"Just a tiny proportion of those men responsible for sexual violence have been sentenced," the office of Peru's ombudswoman Beatriz Merino said in a recent report.

Even in cases where authorities succeeded in doing their job to stop the violence, impunity seems to triumph.

"I caught the men who tried to rape Marlin Mata and I put them in jail. It's not my fault the judge set them free for lack of evidence," said police officer Alfonso Perez. "Marlin couldn't testify. She was in a coma."

http://today.reuters.com
    Last edited by soca_souljah; 07-25-2006 at 04:54 AM.

Credits
    LMAO. Notice the study does not separate by social class.

Most of the violence occurs in the shantytowns and in the sierra.

A famous expression in Peru: Amor Serrano, Mas te pego, mas te quiero.

Mountain love, the more I hit you the more I love you. And women hit just as hard as men.

I see the exact same thing here in poor AfroAmerican communities where Black men and women will fight.

The difference is that violence against women is not condoned in higher society and is considered gay and low class. Does it occur? Sure, but in much lower frequency, and males will jump in to defend a females' honor.

And don't make me laugh, should I really start posting articles about violence against women in the Caribbean?
    http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAMR380022006
    http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/docum...USA20060622001

Sucka. You are outclassed. And you can surf about Peru all you want. Africa will still have precolonial homosexuality. Your attempts at ad hominem will never change that.
    Last edited by Otorongo; 07-25-2006 at 05:57 AM.

Credits
    "Indeed, the level of violence surges dramatically in Peru's impoverished rural areas.

In the southern Huancavelica province where 90 percent of the population lives in extreme poverty, the rate of sexual and physical violence against women is ranked as one of the world's worst in a recent study by the World Health Organization"

exactly.

Credits
    But, now that you brought it up. This is why a mass exodus of Peruvians has been occuring. Widespread corruption in the government, abuses by the military and an innefective police force that many times is infested with criminals has led to a breakdown in society. Especially since the major social disasters created by Velaszco-Alvarado and the current presiden't last reign, and the last president's fiasco. Mass migrations out of the provinces to the city have shown an exponential overpopulation that has created huge shantytowns in the deserts without any of the basic necessities. Lima has two worlds, the city, and the shantytowns. And the shantytowns hold about equal amount of population. If you have read Lord of the Flies, you will get an idea of what is going on in the barriadas.

It truly is sad.

Registered User small_island_descent's Avatar small_island_descent is offline
    Credits
    soca souljah, u know I can relate to SOME of the things u say about our people and I do see u as a bruh who, regardless of whether I agree with ur views, wants to see black people be uplifted.

But.............I would ask u why u chose to focus on Peru but since I know Oto is Peruvian, I ain't even gonna bother. If u wanna encourage the upliftment of blacks, u can't be throwing disses like that, ESPECIALLY considering that in many black poor areas, violence against women is not unheard of. Also, keep in mind that while Oto may be considered white (I don't know what he looks like), there are black Peruvians. So, same way u throwing diss at Oto, u dissing our people who are part of the Peruvian culture too.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by small_island_descent
    soca souljah, u know I can relate to SOME of the things u say about our people and I do see u as a bruh who, regardless of whether I agree with ur views, wants to see black people be uplifted.

But.............I would ask u why u chose to focus on Peru but since I know Oto is Peruvian, I ain't even gonna bother. If u wanna encourage the upliftment of blacks, u can't be throwing disses like that, ESPECIALLY considering that in many black poor areas, violence against women is not unheard of. Also, keep in mind that while Oto may be considered white (I don't know what he looks like), there are black Peruvians. So, same way u throwing diss at Oto, u dissing our people who are part of the Peruvian culture too.
    first of all u know the problem with blk ppl today around the world ...LACK OF UNITY ... Now u mean to tell me that you passed up both of his disrespectful replys to me to tell me i diss him

secondly this is the same trollin mutant that said african culture is a myth ...every post that i and other imixers post in regards to afrikan culture he comes in an discredits it EVERY SINGLE TIME ..yet no blk imixers every come in an call him a racist, but when i defend it all sort of imixers call in and call me a racist an dis n dat under the sun ..nobody outside of VINCYPOWA every sez sh!t to him .

third : I am very AWARE of what takes place in poor blk communities around the globe. In no way should any body think i am "DISSING" BLK PERUVIANS since the article doesn't mention race .. anybody who thinks this article is racial motivated is jus plain FOOLISH !

Foe someone who "disses" afrikan culture everyday he should know how deal with having his own culture exposed while taking critisizim ...

But i ovastand the need for blk imixers to sit back and cringe will the WHITEMAN DICTATES WHAT THEY SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES ...

It takes alot or courage to fight oppression and rightfully preach the truth to the masses while being TERRORIZE BY THE OPPRESSOR....

Credits
    Small island, you are on the money. A lot of that violence is also occuring in the Afro-Peruvian community because of impoverished conditions. Soca Souljah thinks he offends me by stating the conditions in my country. I am all about accepting reality. Thankfully, no one in my family that I know of has fallen to that despair.

As for your question, I look European to most people. Only those who really know about phenotypes can see that allthough my skin hair and eyes look "White" I still have my father's face. Currygyal was one of them. My father's looks, like that of many "multiracials" in America are ambiguous enough that he could be in Ethiopia, Libya or India and no one would question him being there till he spoke. I would stick out like a sore thumb.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soca_souljah
    first of all u know the problem with blk ppl today around the world ...LACK OF UNITY ... Now u mean to tell me that you passed up both of his disrespectful replys to me to tell me i diss him

secondly this is the same trollin mutant that said african culture is a myth ...every post that i and other imixers post in regards to afrikan culture he comes in an discredits it EVERY SINGLE TIME ..yet no blk imixers every come in an call him a racist, but when i defend it all sort of imixers call in and call me a racist an dis n dat under the sun ..nobody outside of VINCYPOWA every sez sh!t to him .

third : I am very AWARE of what takes place in poor blk communities around the globe. In no way should any body think i am "DISSING" BLK PERUVIANS since the article doesn't mention race .. anybody who thinks this article is racial motivated is jus plain FOOLISH !

Foe someone who "disses" afrikan culture everyday he should know how deal with having his own culture exposed while taking critisizim ...

But i ovastand the need for blk imixers to sit back and cringe will the WHITEMAN DICTATES WHAT THEY SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES ...

It takes alot or courage to fight oppression and rightfully preach the truth to the masses while being TERRORIZE BY THE OPPRESSOR....
    lol...you are in such a sad state, lol. I'd laugh if it wasn't so pathetic.

Wah mek yuh brazen so? sapodilla brownin's Avatar sapodilla brownin is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo
    Small island, you are on the money. A lot of that violence is also occuring in the Afro-Peruvian community because of impoverished conditions. Soca Souljah thinks he offends me by stating the conditions in my country. I am all about accepting reality. Thankfully, no one in my family that I know of has fallen to that despair.

As for your question, I look European to most people. Only those who really know about phenotypes can see that allthough my skin hair and eyes look "White" I still have my father's face. Currygyal was one of them. My father's looks, like that of many "multiracials" in America are ambiguous enough that he could be in Ethiopia, Libya or India and no one would question him being there till he spoke. I would stick out like a sore thumb.
    so if it is that you say that black culture is a myth ..what did you mean by it ...and note i aint picking fight ..most of the times u post u have other sources to back your claims

or just find the post leh me go read where you said african culture is a myth

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sapodilla brownin
    so if it is that you say that black culture is a myth ..what did you mean by it ...and note i aint picking fight ..most of the times u post u have other sources to back your claims

or just find the post leh me go read where you said african culture is a myth
    African culture and Black culture (singular) are myths. African Cultures and Black cultures are not myths. There is no monolythic culture. There are cultural diasporas that hold many cultures that have things in common, but that does not make them the same culture. Furthermore, diasporas tend to have more in common with each other as decendants of migrant or dispaced communities versus those that stayed in their own cultural habitat.

Credits
    LIMA, Peru (Reuters) - Marlin Mata has awakened from a coma she suffered after throwing herself from a moving bus to escape two men trying to rape her, but Peru is still deep in the nightmare of spiraling violence against women.

More than half of all Peruvian women over the age of 15 say they have suffered sexual or physical violence by men during their lifetime -- one of the world's highest rates.

"I want justice for my sister. We can't let this kind of thing happen again and again," said Judith Mata, standing next to Marlin, 21, who still bears a bite mark in her bruised cheek from the recent attack.

Sexual violence against women in Peru is now so bad that Peru's President-elect Alan Garcia, who takes office on Friday, made it one of his central campaign issues and has vowed to tackle the problem and give women a greater say in government.

Male frustration at high unemployment in Peru despite the country' unprecedented economic growth since 2002 and a corrupt justice system that rarely makes convictions are exacerbating violence against women in an already macho society.

"The violence is a direct consequence of poverty," Peru's Women's Minister Ana Maria Romero told Reuters.

According to the United Nations, Peru is one of the most dangerous places for women in Latin America, a region that had the world's highest number of sexual assaults last year.

Cases like Mata's are reported almost daily basis by the local tabloid media, with incidents ranging from rape to murder.

"Jealous Man Strangles Wife!" and "Man Kills Wife After She Asked For Divorce!" are just two of the hundreds of headlines compiled in a study by Amnesty International and Peruvian organization Flora Tristan, which works to protect women.

The study found that more than 300 women have been killed by men committing sexual violence in Peru since 2003, even in cases when victims asked for police protection.

CULTURE OF VIOLENCE

Some 51 percent of women in Lima and 69 percent of women in the southern Andean city of Cuzco said they have been victims of sexual or physical violence, the study added.

Indeed, the level of violence surges dramatically in Peru's impoverished rural areas.

In the southern Huancavelica province where 90 percent of the population lives in extreme poverty, the rate of sexual and physical violence against women is ranked as one of the world's worst in a recent study by the World Health Organization.

Half of Peru's 13 million workers are underemployed, meaning they are forced into badly paid positions below their qualifications.

That stress of not having a decent job is unleashed onto female partners. More than 60 percent of women who reported being victims of domestic violence in Peru consider the economic crisis at home as the main trigger of violence, according to Amnesty International.

But according to the WHO study, violence against women in Peru is worse than in countries with lower economic development such as Ethiopia, Bangladesh or Namibia
    Don't you have anything better to do @ 4 o'clock in the mornin' ? Sleep.. ? Make love to Palmela?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark
    lol...you are in such a sad state, lol. I'd laugh if it wasn't so pathetic.

but you did laugh ...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Slut Trini Gyal
    Don't you have anything better to do @ 4 o'clock in the mornin' ? Sleep.. ? Make love to Palmela?

Don't worry bout what i do 4 o' clock in the morning .. worry bout wah you huzzzzzzzzzzban doin without you 4 o'clock in the morning in trinidad

Credits
    Don't worry bout what i do 4 o' clock in the morning .. worry bout wah you huzzzzzzzzzzban doin without you 4 o'clock in the morning in trinidad

Sounds like you trying to play patsy with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast