Thread: Patient X Wid Turberculosis May Have Infected Many

m
    Credits

Lightbulb Patient X Wid Turberculosis May Have Infected Many

A man with a rare, drug-resistant form of tuberculosis is under a federal
    quarantine order after returning from a trip to Europe. Authorities say he
    might have exposed passengers and crew aboard two trans-Atlantic flights
    earlier this month.

Basically, Mr. Man got the word that he was infected on a vacation or a trip
    in Europe and he got put on the no-fly list.

Yet, he manage to pick up heself, he and he wife and took a flight from
    Europe to Canada where he rented a car and drove back home to the US.

He turned himself in in Atlanta where he currently under lock n key by armed
    guards.

Yet, they're saying it's "nothing to be alarmed about."

What's your thoughts on this story?

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcNY View Post
    A man with a rare, drug-resistant form of tuberculosis is under a federal
    quarantine order after returning from a trip to Europe. Authorities say he
    might have exposed passengers and crew aboard two trans-Atlantic flights
    earlier this month.

guards.

Yet, they're saying it's "nothing to be alarmed about."

What's your thoughts on this story?

that he was selfish but i guess he decided to take a risk since he has a life too that he sooo needed to get back to
    A sharp knife never proclaims its sharpness to the worldbut the first to fall against it becomes its advocate.

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    ACLU files lawsuit against county for treatment of TB patient
    Dennis Wagner
    The Arizona Republic
    May. 30, 2007 09:11 PM

A federal lawsuit filed Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union alleges that Maricopa County officials have violated the rights of a quarantined tuberculosis patient for months by treating him as a criminal.

The U.S. District Court complaint on behalf of Robert Daniels alleges health officials and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office have violated numerous constitutional rights and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The suit asks that Daniels be housed in appropriate accommodations, rather than the severe and "inhumane" jail conditions. advertisement

"It's good news for me," Daniels said Wednesday evening. "I finally have a chance to get out of this black hole."

Robert England, the county's tuberculosis control officer, declined comment. Other county health officials were not immediately available.

Daniels, 27, has been isolated in a jail ward at Maricopa Medical Center for 10 months under court order, although he was not convicted or charged with any crime.

Linda Cosme, an attorney for Daniels, said her client has been victimized by constitutional violations. "Robert is helpless," she added. "And he's at the mercy of Sheriff Joe Arpaio. He needs as much support as possible, and the ACLU is supplying that support."

Arpaio said Daniels is confined under court order, and must abide by security measures. "I run a safe jail, and he's going to be treated like anyone else," he said.

Daniels, who holds dual United States and Russian citizenship, moved to Arizona in January 2006 after contracting extreme multi-drug-resistant (XDR) TB, in Moscow, where he has a wife and 5-year-old son.

Daniels, who spent his teen years in Scottsdale, said he returned to the United States in search of work and a college education. Months later, he became severely ill and was placed in a county sanitarium for indigent TB patients.

Dr. Maricela Moffitt, a county physician, has testified that Daniels willfully failed to take his medications, decreasing the likelihood that last-chance drugs would cure his deadly disease. Moreover, Moffitt alleged, Daniels endangered others by going out in public and entertaining visitors without wearing a mask.

Daniels has insisted that he did not understand the contagiousness or gravity of his condition, in part because TB patients in Russia do not wear masks. Daniels also has said he missed taking medications a few times because he overslept, not intentionally.

In August, a Maricopa County Superior Court commissioner ordered Daniels placed under involuntary quarantine. The jail ward at Maricopa Medical Center is considered the only Valley facility equipped for such confinement, so Daniels was housed under the supervision of sheriff's detention officers.

According to court records, Daniels has spent much of his time in custody without a phone, TV, radio, shower or hot water. Windows are screened. Video cameras monitor constantly. Lights remain on 24 hours.

Earlier this week Daniels said he was told that his TB bacteria may be developing resistance to all antibiotics, and a portion of his lungs might require surgical removal. He said he was advised to write letters to his child in Moscow so the boy would have communication before his father's death.

Cosme, the attorney, described Daniels as extremely depressed and fragile due to isolation and stress. She said the ACLU will soon file motions seeking an expedited hearing and an injunction to immediately improve Daniels' treatment.

According to county documents obtained by The Arizona Republic through a public records request, Daniels' confinement spawned a dispute among medical workers about the ethics and legality of his quarantine conditions.

In a Dec. 11 email, Inmate Health Services nurse Nancy Turco complained to Dr. Moffitt that the patient "really doesn't need to be in a detention unit (because) it is not the least restrictive setting appropriate," as required by state law.

Turco, who eventually quit her job and became an advocate for Daniels, followed up with a Jan. 3 email complaining about detention officers. "This patient is not arrested and has nothing to do with MCSO other than taking up a room in their ward," Turco wrote. "It is clear, Marci, that your job is to protect the public. However, depriving a person of basic rights is wrong."

Moffitt answered with a message that said: "The loss of liberty by our patients is not taken lightly by me. But you must realize that I also need to defend the citizens of Maricopa County. Unfortunately, this patient has lied repeatedly to me (and TB staff) and did ... threaten many innocent persons."

On Wednesday, Daniels said: "I'm slowly dying in this room. I didn't realize how serious this (TB) was, and I regret that, but nothing justifies the kind of treatment I've received in here. The solitary confinement starts to mess with your head and it has taken a serious toll on my body."

Credits
    How about all that money we pay to homeland security and he still got by them. Imagine how easy it is for terrorist

m
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahpikne View Post
    How about all that money we pay to homeland security and he still got by them. Imagine how easy it is for terrorist
    If de Dems had any sense they would capitalize on this LAX policies that allows such fukkry to go on under Bush's (and the rest of the Reps') administration.

Taj
    Credits
    so he really had the resistant variety

so he is really gonna die

he mentioned not one word about putting others at risk even his family its them he drove across the border in an enclosed space with right?

where is the wife is she quarantined too or she didn't get it as well...by some stroke of luck
    A sharp knife never proclaims its sharpness to the worldbut the first to fall against it becomes its advocate.

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    he must be under quarantine
    its as simple as that
    the strain he has is very dangerous

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    he must be under quarantine
    its as simple as that
    the strain he has is very dangerous
    but he want more luxury accomodations ie no jail cell

but then again his actions could be labelled terrorist he was on a no fly list and wasn't supposed to be travellin like that his arrest and where they are keeping him could have merit

inhuman would be keeping in there no feeding him or giving him pills to ease his pain

hmmmmm

PTM
    Credits
    Anyone believe that it is ONLY a coincidence that his new father-in-law works with the TB virus at the CDC?

Credits
    I'm clear!!!!! Thank God. That's my old boss.

PTM
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo View Post
    I'm clear!!!!! Thank God. That's my old boss.
    I hope you are. That sh!t is scary.

May 31, 7:56 PM ET

A globe-trotting Atlanta lawyer with a dangerous strain of tuberculosis was allowed back into the U.S. by a border inspector who disregarded a computer warning to stop him and don protective gear, officials said Thursday.

The inspector has been removed from border duty.

The unidentified inspector explained that he was no doctor but that the infected man seemed perfectly healthy and that he thought the warning was merely "discretionary," officials briefed on the case told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the matter is still under investigation

After all this, yet Americans always blame Canada for letting in terrorists and such when American border patrol and immigration officials failed to do their jobs.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcNY View Post

guards.
    Naw. He was informed he had TB after he got an X-ray from a broken rib, here in ATL. He was about to go get married in Europe. He chose to go anyway. They kept doing tests and it turned out to be a highly resistant strain of the disease, so he was advised not to come back until he could be quarantined and brought home. Having been military himself, I suspect he didn't trust them, and disobeyed orders and came in through Canada instead.
    I never saw him with symptoms all the way through December when i stopped working for him and his dad. Nor did I see symptoms on Sarah, his fiance. I have been cleared by the CDC because I stopped having contact with him in December. So he must have gotten infected somehow (they won't tell me) sometime from January to before the wedding (early enough to come out in an X-ray for a broken rib) in the US. Unless he took off somewhere that I don't know about in that period. I too suspect Sarah's dad. The dude works with TB and Andrew turns up with TB? We'll see.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by p'tanimas View Post
    I hope you are. That sh!t is scary.
    LOL. You should have seen my roommate. I think he went to test himself yesterday. I was going to test myself today, but they gave me the green light because of the period of contact.

Credits
    I want to know how he is patient x and da man pic and name all over da news last nite???

and in away I sorry I was not staying in no hospital over-seas for over a year cause dats how long his tail going be locked up in that room 1 long azzzzzzzzzzzz year
    *I have been Born Again*

Credits
    I don't know what he was thinking though. He was diagnosed with TB and traveled in planes. He is a personal injury lawyer. Can he say lawsuit? If he doesn't get disbarred first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast