Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Panamanians

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by honduranboy1 View Post
    Nowadays I say most of the black people in Honduras are Garifuna and they have Spanish last names. We West Indians have the English last names and are billingual and we are the other blacks there. Our ancestors are laid off Canal workers who went to Honduras and people who came mostly from Jamaica, Belize, Cayman Islands, and St Kitts to work on the banana plantations and railroads.
    Good stuff...we hear about the blacks/WI in Belize, but not too often about those in Honduras, even if I see a couple of you on the football team, lol

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by currygyal View Post
    Oh so, there are WIs who were canal workers and other workers too. But the Garifuna there are also of West Indian descent too, are they not?
    They came from St.Vincent after being kicked off by the British and stuff but they are not really considered WI down there because they have a diff culture than we do and they been there for over 200 years and they speak no English whatsoever.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark View Post
    Good stuff...we hear about the blacks/WI in Belize, but not too often about those in Honduras, even if I see a couple of you on the football team, lol
    Yeah we have like two or three. Really though Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaruagua, Costa Rica we are all in the same boat. Cuba and the Dominican Republic also has a West Indian community they came over to work in the sugar plantations and fruit plantations. Brazil has a town called "Barbadoes Town" named after Barbadian oil workers. Venezuala also has people of Trini descent who worked in oil refineries.

Credits

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by honduranboy1 View Post
    Yeah we have like two or three. Really though Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaruagua, Costa Rica we are all in the same boat. Cuba and the Dominican Republic also has a West Indian community they came over to work in the sugar plantations and fruit plantations. Brazil has a town called "Barbadoes Town" named after Barbadian oil workers. Venezuala also has people of Trini descent who worked in oil refineries.

yeah most central american countries have a west indian population, i was really unaware of that until i went to costa rica (puerto limon), they speak straight patois and have some good goot caribbean food. I hope more people from the islands will start visiting our countries to see their fam.
    Booty caresser

Credits
    A good sampling of Panamanian music, especially for those of us who only have recordings of Ruben Blades(actually AfroCuban music) or El General.

http://www.soundwayrecords.com/.%5Ca...hmus%201965-75

Credits
    Ruben Blades grandfather was from St Lucia and the rest of his family is Mestizo.

Credits
    Does anyone know any decent panamanian restaurants in nyc besides Kelso? Kelso is good but i need a new spot.

Also in yalls opinion whats the best restaurant back home? I say Centolla in Rio Abajo.
    Booty caresser

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sankofaa View Post
    Does anyone know any decent panamanian restaurants in nyc besides Kelso? Kelso is good but i need a new spot.

Also in yalls opinion whats the best restaurant back home? I say Centolla in Rio Abajo.

Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Credits

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Antigua Me Come Fram View Post
    Just noticed a couple of you in Imix. I've always been curious about your country. I know that a lot of West Indians went there to work on the canal. Are any of you guys decendents? If so What's the culture like? My interest was peaked even moreso when I saw the last Survivor series.

Every time i link up with a Panamanians .there treat me like family.there very "KOOL" people.
    I embrace Panamanians and there culture .and sceptically there nice jewelry.

large up to the Panamanians crew .who holding down on franklin ave.

franklin ave large population Panamanians in Brooklyn ,nyc
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.

(Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinks4Life View Post
    que sopa bonita??

Where you been??
    Booty caresser

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sankofaa View Post
    que sopa bonita??

Where you been??
    I been over across the street

Credits
    i jus saw dat thread for d first time.. real interestin

sebas4920
    ruben blades comes from there... oh yeah!

zSHARE - willie colon y ruben blades - tiburon.mp3

ruben always comes with the lyrics, he used to be a politician...

in this one he compares amerikkka to a shark (tiburon) swimming around the caribbean sea trying to run shite

Tiburn que buscas en la orilla Tiburn

SERPIENTE MARINERA!!!

Tiburn que buscas en la orilla Tiburn

RESPETA MI BANDERAAAAA!!!!

dope!!!

my dad works with mad panamanians in the physics dept. here, they are smart... they send some students to the physics grad program just about every year! they always cook up the dope food at the staff parties.. pigeon peas and rice... black beans ...mmmmm
    Last edited by sebas4920; 01-22-2008 at 04:01 AM.

sebas4920
    all the black panamanians I know have their roots in barbados! but most of the ones I met are hispanic, one in particular was a family friend... their weddings are boss!

sebas4920
    thanks canalero, blessing the thread!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast