Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Panamanians

Smarty Skirt Antigua Me Come Fram's Avatar Antigua Me Come Fram is offline
    Credits
    So when is the best time to go there and where is a good place to stay if you want to experience the culture etc.?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    Wapin
    Hey!!! You're not Panamanian!!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Antigua Me Come Fram View Post
    So when is the best time to go there and where is a good place to stay if you want to experience the culture etc.?

Carnival in February.

And it depends, there are some very nice hotels downtown in Panama City, if you want to see a display of the culture go to Mi Pueblito, they have a section dedicated to the black panamanians, spanish, and indians.

If you have someon with you, you can go through Rio Abajo, thats a large west indian area in panama city(also my birthplace).
    On the colon side they have the statue of the Black Christ in Portobelo, but those are the true black panamanians over there.(non west indian).

Credits
    I was just walking through one of their malls 2 days ago and I hear Bachelor by Scrunter coming from one of the stores....
    Last edited by trinidarkie; 09-01-2006 at 04:42 PM.

Credits
    I want to go Panama for christmas hopefully...if not I will be going sometime in July or June...I haven't been back since I was 14 so I AM OVER DUE!!!!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sankofaa View Post
    Carnival in February.

And it depends, there are some very nice hotels downtown in Panama City, if you want to see a display of the culture go to Mi Pueblito, they have a section dedicated to the black panamanians, spanish, and indians.

If you have someon with you, you can go through Rio Abajo, thats a large west indian area in panama city(also my birthplace).
    On the colon side they have the statue of the Black Christ in Portobelo, but those are the true black panamanians over there.(non west indian). Are they slave descedents?
    Sounds good. I didn't even realise Panama had another set of blacks. What is relationship like between them and the West Indians?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Antigua Me Come Fram View Post
    Sounds good. I didn't even realise Panama had another set of blacks. What is relationship like between them and the West Indians?

not too good, it's gotten better over the years, but my grandmother always told me they eat iguana tails and are uneducated and poorer than poor. My grandfather married one, when my father went to live with them she treated him really poor cus he was my grandmothers child, so he's not too fond of them either. They don't speak any english and they've been isolated so alot of them are VERY black (many look straight african). Some of them even have traditional congo masks, which probably came from africa. I don't know too much about them though, I've never lived around large groups of them.

Credits
    Yeah Panama has another set of Blacks. They are strictly Panamanian. They speak no English and the look down at the Panamanians who are of West Indian Descent. They usually live along the coast.

My Mother's side of family is from Trinidad. My great-grandfather came to Panama to help build the Canal. My Father's side of family is from Jamaica. My paternal grandparents speak no Spanish. They refuse to learn the language because they did not want to lose the West Indian culture.
    The best time to go to Panama is for Christmas. It is very very nice. Panama is a beautiful country. It is very similar to Trinidad. The people are very laid back and they love to Party.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bygmyke33 View Post
    I want to go Panama for christmas hopefully...if not I will be going sometime in July or June...I haven't been back since I was 14 so I AM OVER DUE!!!!!
    dayum, i thought i was bad! The last time i was down there I was in '98...I wanna go sometime next yr but I'll need a tour guide!

Credits

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SEXYPANAT View Post
    SUNDAY!!! YOU?
    I went Both days!!!!!!!!!
    “I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure–which is:
    Try to please everybody” Herbert Bayard Swope

Credits
    Thanks for the info guys. Seems interesting. I'm looking forward to going there soon.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Yeah Panama has another set of Blacks. They are strictly Panamanian. They speak no English and the look down at the Panamanians who are of West Indian Descent. They usually live along the coast.

My Mother's side of family is from Trinidad. My great-grandfather came to Panama to help build the Canal. My Father's side of family is from Jamaica. My paternal grandparents speak no Spanish. They refuse to learn the language because they did not want to lose the West Indian culture. The best time to go to Panama is for Christmas. It is very very nice. Panama is a beautiful country. It is very similar to Trinidad. The people are very laid back and they love to Party.
    Interesting. So how do they get around in a Spanish speaking country. How big is the West Indian population?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

My Mother's side of family is from Trinidad. My great-grandfather came to Panama to help build the Canal. My Father's side of family is from Jamaica. My paternal grandparents speak no Spanish. They refuse to learn the language because they did not want to lose the West Indian culture.
    The best time to go to Panama is for Christmas. It is very very nice. Panama is a beautiful country. It is very similar to Trinidad. The people are very laid back and they love to Party.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by gunta View Post
    panamanian women is bess tingz......
    Do I Count...I'm Half

Credits
    I know a lot of Panamanians, a few are black and others are more hispanic. They have a rich culture......

I usually notice Panamanians by their gold.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast