Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our inner racist...

Credits

Our inner racist...

We get all upset and disturbed when we hear someone of another race make racist comments about black people. But how many of us have racist thoughts also? Is it OK to have these thoughts as long as you don't voice them? If you don't voice those thoughts does that make you less racist?

Credits
    i think we all as humans think certain thoughts when it comes to being racist. I know sometimes i find myself saying and thinking stuff like that.

when i look at tv i may see some commercial or something and i would say they must put the damn black man to act stupid why they ain't put their own ppl. or some ish like that

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougla Ting
    We get all upset and disturbed when we hear someone of another race make racist comments about black people. But how many of us have racist thoughts also? Is it OK to have these thoughts as long as you don't voice them? If you don't voice those thoughts does that make you less racist?

What about racism between colours?
    A lot of traditional blacks and brown families don't really get along well.
    Or between whites, like Chinese and Italians?

sharkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shy Boy
    blacks and browns?? ...do you mean within a race?

since when chinese ppl white?? did you know they were asian hun?

Credits
    Agreed, it's all over the place. Believe it or not it still has black people out there that don't like fair skinned blacks. Just like it have Irish whites that doh like Italians or jews etc...

Credits

Excellent discussion point. We could even substitute 'racist' with 'ignorant'...see how many hands go up.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkbait
    blacks and browns?? ...do you mean within a race?

since when chinese ppl white?? did you know they were asian hun?
    Some people consider Asians to be white in comparison with other peoples like Blacks or Browns.

In Guyana, not sure about other places, but there is a lot of tension between traditional black and brown families. They don't trust each other which leads to tension.

Credits
    forgot to answer the question at hand...yes I have racists thoughts at times, not sure where it stems from whether it's ignorance or what I doh know. I would find it hard to believe that people don't have these kinds of thoughts.

TC
    Credits

Interesting topic.....I don't usually consider myself racist, but I never clean the house and order my white man or maid to do it, and then loudly proclaim that black people slave so hard for years for white, now is my turn to put my foot up and give orders...I think that's slightly racist.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TehrryCherry
    Interesting topic.....I don't usually consider myself racist, but I never clean the house and order my white man or maid to do it, and then loudly proclaim that black people slave so hard for years for white, now is my turn to put my foot up and give orders...I think that's slightly racist.

That's true.
    One shouldn't look to the past for retribution or vengeance.

Credits
    That's funny, I was discussing this in the hair salon this morning. I think that we all have biases and somewhat ignorant notions about people or things we are not as familiar as we are our own culture. I guess it's okay to voice your feelings in a non-derragotory (sp) manner. But I have a problem with the Muslims that distribute The Final Call newspapers here in Boston, I have heard many of them use the term "Blue Eyed Devil" when referring to White people. How you can take a brush and paint all people of one race or culture the same thing? Don't get me wrong I have a problem when I watch tv and hear white supremacists refer to Black people as "Monkeys" or that we are all on welfare.

But how can you say that this group of people are prejudice and then do the same thing? Practice what you preach.

Sorry for the verbal diarhea. I feel very strongly about this topic.

Credits
    Subject: Worth Reading by all Blacks

WHAT WILL WE/YOU DO ABOUT THIS?

I don't know whether you all have seen the Black Think Tank that Tavis Smiley hosts on C-Span every year, but it is Powerful food for thought

Here are a few of the things learned at the Black Think Tank this month.

Facts:
    1. The first Americans or Native Americans going back to 13,000 BC were black! Look up the Folsom people who lived in Arizona.

2. One of the best reasons to stop our use of the term African American and say Black. A white person who was born in Africa, who moves to America is An African American and qualifies for financial aid, etc., but will get the jobs/pay privileges afforded to whites.

3. Look up the Slavery Law of 1665 (which stayed in effect until 1968) and the Maryland Doctrine of Exclusion (1638): both laws state that blacks must be excluded from the benefits afforded whites, and that blacks must remain noncompetitive with whites, except in sports and entertainment.

4. Two white men: Bill Gates and Larry Elision, combined have more wealth than the combined wealth of all 36 million blacks in America. Civil Rights did not change the economic landscape or the balance of power in America

5. Asians received 80% of all government minority set aside contracts. Hello!!

6. Blacks eat more fish than whites by a 4 to 1 margin. For every dollar that whites spend on fish, blacks spend $9 on fish. Fish sold wholesale for $1 will retail at $2.50 - $3.00. Guess what business we should be in as Blacks?

7. There isn't any black owned national cable, or major network television stations. Cathy Hughes, the black woman who owns our only black owned radio stations, plans to sell to white owners after hearing the deal Bob Johnson received for selling BET. (Cathy Hughes Is from OMAHA y'all!)

8. There are no black owned companies on the Wall Street Stock Exchange; where blacks own the majority or controlling interest of the stock.

9. Ninety-six percent (96%) of all black inmates are men.

10. Over the next two years 440,000 black inmates will be released from prison. The State has no place to put them as they re-enter society. A profitable business would be a Halfway house!

11. In 1860, 98% of all Blacks in America worked for White people. In 2001, 98% of all Blacks in America still work for white people.

12. In 1860, blacks in America had a combined net worth of one half of 1 percentage point. Guess what, in 2001, after Civil Rights, Jesse Jackson, Oprah, Shaq, NAACP, and Urban League, our combined net worth is half a percentage point.

13. For every dollar earned by a Jewish person, that dollar touches12 to 18 Jewish hands before it leaves their community. For every dollar earned by a Black person it leaves the community soon as he or she earns it.

14. The last week of April 2003 in Washington, DC black teenagers where arrested and booked for eating McDonalds on the metro subway. Cops cited the recent 5-4 court decision as the permission to arrest law breakers even for minor offenses.

15. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of all hate crimes in America are against blacks.

16. After we get through being pleased that we have carpet in our office, a secretary, our name on the door and make six figures, we do not own anything

17. What will happen if you miss 6 months of work without pay? All we've left for our children is debt not an inheritance. You cannot pass welfare or food stamps onto our kids as a nest egg! We are not even in the race

18. By the way, the word "race" hit the English language in the 16th century when Europeans held a contest to see who will win the race to gather the most wealth through exploitation of blacks.

19. You must read Powernomics by Claude Anderson. This is our blueprint to create wealth, not just have a job, but be a business owner, so you can hire people, be listed on the stock exchange, develop businesses to meet our needs.

This is "Good Food" for thought.

Credits
    Not sure if this is directly relevant. There's a saying by Guyanese who live in other countries, "Guyana is a truly beautiful country, it's just one or two people who ruin it for the rest."

That could apply to the general racial issue. In today's age, there is not as much racial tension between people of different colours, however one or two arrogant people fan the flames of ignorance and cause more and more people of a certain colour to look upon another colour in a certain light.

That make sense?

Credits
    i think X made a comment in regards 2 u'r question at hand. i think it was along the lines of he'd have more respect and rather know a person who was a racist upfront and doesnt hide their feelings so u know where he/she stands; opposed to those who mask their hatred for you and smile in u'r face. i know i botched the quote bigtime but i believe it was somewhere along those lines.

but i don't have any racist thoughts to answer u'r question.

salty

TC
    Credits
    That's true.
    One shouldn't look to the past for retribution or vengeance.

Yuh right eh, but I didn't just want to come out and say I am a lazy couch potato!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast