Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The 'other' Caribbean countries.

Credits

The 'other' Caribbean countries.

So some people claim that Caribbean is defined by the coast the Caribbean Sea touches. But it is also defined by the lands the Caribs call home. They are as Caribbean as the Caribbean Sea.
    So:
    Honduras
    Belize
    Guatemala
    Panama
    Colombia
    Venezuela
    All border the Caribbean sea
    Honduras
    Belize
    Guyana
    French Guiana
    Surname
    Brazil
    All contain Carib peoples.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo
    So some people claim that Caribbean is defined by the coast the Caribbean Sea touches. But it is also defined by the lands the Caribs call home. They are as Caribbean as the Caribbean Sea.
    So:
    Honduras
    Belize
    Guatemala
    Panama
    Colombia
    Venezuela
    Honduras
    Belize
    Guyana
    French Guiana
    Surname
    Brazil
    Quick question...how much schooling have you had in Caribbean/West Indian history?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark
    Quick question...how much schooling have you had in Caribbean/West Indian history?
    Caribbean is not exactly the same as West indian. And yes i am aware of the history. Are you aware that Carribbean people were mobilized left and right through out these regions making them culturally related? Lets just begin with the Garifunas, for example. Belize, Honduras, connection to St. Vincent.

The JaMô
    Caribbean is not exactly the same as West indian. And yes i am aware of the history. Are you aware that Carribbean people were mobilized left and right through out these regions making them culturally related? Lets just begin with the Garifunas, for example. Belize, Honduras, connection to St. Vincent.
    Big up SVG! lol... sorry... I'm idle...lol

So yes, they're teaching us in my Caribbean Studies classes that some of those Central and South American countries are considered part of 'The Greater Caribbean' (well the coastal regions mainly)... but I dunno mannn... I figure it's more a case of having Caribbean diaspora/presence in said countries... I mean NY is full of West Indian folk who migrated there wayyyy back in the day... but it's not Caribbean is it?

I ain't kno... I'm not fully decided on this one.

Credits
    Nice....but peripheral.

The question was 'how much schooling' have you had, not whether you're aware of the difference between Caribbean and WI...rather than make assumptions from your non-answer, I'll give you another opportunity to answer the question.

In the mean time, this is for the boys and girls scoring at home..

America was named for Amerigo Vespucci...does this mean that every territory 'discovered' by Vespucci is 'American'?

The caribs lent their name to the region...their presence does not define it. Trinidad got it's indigenous name (Iere "land of the hummingbird") from the hummingbird...does this mean that wherever the hummingbird is found, is also a part of this 'land of the hummingbird'.

Credits

Question

So:
    Honduras
    Belize
    Guatemala
    Panama
    Colombia
    Venezuela
    Honduras
    Belize
    Guyana
    French Guiana
    Surname
    Brazil
    We been through this too many times....but.....
    You're saying that these countries are Caribbean countries?
    And if so, they're Caribbean because they border the Caribbean Sea?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VincyJam82
    Big up SVG! lol... sorry... I'm idle...lol

So yes, they're teaching us in my Caribbean Studies classes that some of those Central and South American countries are considered part of 'The Greater Caribbean' (well the coastal regions mainly)... but I dunno mannn... I figure it's more a case of having Caribbean diaspora/presence in said countries... I mean NY is full of West Indian folk who migrated there wayyyy back in the day... but it's not Caribbean is it?

I ain't kno... I'm not fully decided on this one.
    They were Caribbean from the get go. That certain countries now beleive they are entitleds to the name more doesn't make it so. How is Belizean culture not Caribbean? Or Honduras? or Panama? They have other influences as well, but that doesn't change that their culture was formed through constant trade with other Caribbean cultures and migrations to and from those other coutries.

Credits
    America was named for Amerigo Vespucci...does this mean that every territory 'discovered' by Vespucci is 'American'?
    Nice try. But Americo did not live in America nor a people who lived in America, The Caribbean sea was named because of the Caribs that were in it. And the nations were named because they bordered said sea.

The caribs lent their name to the region...their presence does not define it.
    There presence did define it. And still does to this day. If those Caribs hadn't been around all those places then they wouldn't have called it the Caribbean sea, but by some Spanaiards name, maybe the Vespucian sea.

Trinidad got it's indigenous name (Iere "land of the hummingbird") from the hummingbird...does this mean that wherever the hummingbird is found, is also a part of this 'land of the hummingbird'.
    Only if they a bunch of nations the lands of the hummingbirds because of that comon factor of being a nesting ground for the hummingbird.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackee
    We been through this too many times....but.....
    You're saying that these countries are Caribbean countries?
    And if so, they're Caribbean because they border the Caribbean Sea?
    That is the definition of a coastal nation. Why is Italy a Meditterranean nation?

Credits
    NVM....endless debate....
    IMO
    If you in North America, you're North American
    If you in Asia, you're Asian
    if you in the Caribbean Sea, you're Caribbean.

Mexico BORDERS the USA, but I dont think we can call them N. Americans

BTW: Never met a Brazilian who would consider themselves Caribbean.
    Last edited by Ackee; 12-18-2005 at 12:29 AM. Reason: nvm endless debate

Credits
    It SEEMS like the DEBATE ENDED before it STARTED.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackee
    NVM....endless debate....
    IMO
    If you in North America, you're North American
    If you in Asia, you're Asian
    if you in the Caribbean Sea, you're Caribbean.
    Land mass versus sea. You border a sea you live on a land mass.
    You are on a sea.

Mexico BORDERS the USA, but I dont think we can call them N. Americans
    Actually, Mexico is a part of North America.

BTW: Never met a Brazilian who would consider themselves Caribbean.
    I was being facetious, but I assure you Caribs in Brazil do see themselves as 'caribbean/caribeno' as in 'related to the caribs.'

Credits
    Land mass versus sea. You border a sea you live on a land mass.
    You are on a sea.

I was being facetious, but I assure you Caribs in Brazil do see themselves as 'caribbean/caribeno' as in 'related to the caribs.'
    You are neither Caribbean nor have any particular expertise in matters Caribbean...yet you're on a Caribbean website... arguing with Caribbean nationals...about what in fact constitutes 'Caribbean'.

Amazing.

Credits
    Excellent!!!!!
    Now, culturally which country would Mexico have more in common with? USA & Canada....or....Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatamela, Belize, etc?

Of course it's the latter, yet even though Mexico is more culturally linked to Central American countries (Mesoamerica), we refer to Mexico as being North American.

To link this back.....Guyana, Suriname may share some customs as the CARIBBEAN ISLANDS, they're still South American

Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, etc. may share some customs as the CARIBBEAN ISLANDS, but they're still Central American

Credits
    You are neither Caribbean nor have any particular expertise in matters Caribbean...yet you're on a Caribbean website... arguing with Caribbean nationals...about what in fact constitutes 'Caribbean'.

Amazing.
    Feel free to go to any Puerto Rican, Belizean, Guyanan, Venezuelan site and tell THEM they are not Caribbean. THIS IS A SOCA/CALYPSO oriented site that attracts mostly English speaking Caribbean cultures. Very few Spanish speaking Caribbeans here. Language has a lot to do with cultural diffusion.

Tell people of the Venezuelan Calypso music culture that they are not a part of tthe Caribbean. Your miopia to your own specific brand of Caribbeanism is what is Amazing.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast