Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oprah Dis SA's Bliss

Credits

Oprah Dis SA's Bliss

Oprah Winfrey is firing back at critics of her decision to build a $40 million school complex in South Africa - saying she didn't build it in the U.S. because inner-city kids here don't appreciate the value of a free education.

"I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn't there," the TV talk-show maven says in the current issue of Newsweek.

"If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

The tough talk comes as the famously philanthropic Winfrey unveils her Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa - a sprawling, 28-building complex for impoverished teens that features a yoga studio and beauty salon, among other luxuries.

The 22-acre complex has taken more than five years to build and has raised eyebrows in the U.S. and abroad, she said.

"I understand that many ...feel that I'm going overboard, and that's fine," Winfrey said. "This is what I want to do. I wanted to take girls with that 'it' quality and give them an opportunity to make a difference in the world."

Winfrey handpicked the 152 girls who will attend out of an application pool of more than 3,500. Winfrey has also supplied millions of dollars to educate needy children in the U.S. through the Oprah Winfrey Scholars program.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-408116c.html

Credits
    Nobody can badmind this

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandele View Post
    Nobody can badmind this

u would be surprised!

Credits
    OPRAH WINFREY

Links30
    That is amazing, big up Oprah. And she's right, the American Kids especially the African American don't really value education like that, so she does has a point.

Credits
    Oprah's school for girls opens Tuesday
    POSTED: 1:26 p.m. EST, January 1, 2007

Oprah Winfrey says she built the new school to have her charity work feel more personal.

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (AP) -- Talk show star Oprah Winfrey is due to open her long-awaited school Tuesday -- fulfilling a promise she made to former President Nelson Mandela six years ago and giving more than 150 poor South African girls a chance for a better future.

Mandela was invited to be among the dignitaries at the opening of the lavish Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in the small town of Henley-on-Klip, south of Johannesburg, as well as a string of international celebrities -- though the guest list was kept secret.

Oprah said she decided to build her own school because she was tired of charity from a distance.

"When I first started making a lot of money, I really became frustrated with the fact that all I did was write check after check to this or that charity without really feeling like it was a part of me," she said in an interview with Newsweek magazine which went on sale Monday.

"At a certain point, you want to feel that connection."

The $40 million academy aims to give 152 girls from deprived backgrounds a quality education in a country where schools are struggling to overcome the legacy of apartheid.

Heightening concerns about declining standards in South Africa's schooling system, the education department said last week that the school leaving matriculation exam pass rate had dropped for the third straight year.

This year's matriculation class, which started school the same year as multiracial elections in 1994, was dubbed "Madiba's Children" after the clan name for Mandela, who came to power with the onset of democracy.

Yet two-thirds of the 1,667,000 children who started school 12 years ago dropped out, and only 5 percent of the total intake are eligible to go to university.

"We know that we still have much to do to guarantee proper education for our children, as well as provide the necessary training for those who need the skills that our society end economy demand," President Thabo Mbeki said in a New Year's message Monday.

Many state-financed schools, especially in the sprawling townships that sprang up under white racist rule, are hopelessly crowded and lack even basic facilities like books. They are also plagued by gang violence, drugs and a high rate of pregnancy among school girls.

Top class study and sporting facilities are available, but are largely confined to private schools which are still dominated by the white minority as they are too expensive for many black and mixed race South Africans.

Winfrey's academy offers a way out for the 152 girls, aged 11 to 12, who were selected from 3,500 applications across the country.

To qualify, they had to show both academic and leadership potential and have a household income of no more than 5,000 rands ($787) a month. Eventually the academy will accommodate 450 girls.

Many were interviewed by the celebrity, who was reported to have been moved by visits to some of the girls' homes, a reminder of her own poor beginnings.

Winfrey, who reportedly threw a lavish New Year's Eve party at the country's famed Sun City resort before the opening of her academy, launched the project with Mandela in 2000.

Built on 21 hectares (52 acres), the 28-building campus, which was originally to cost $10 million, is said to resemble more a luxury hotel than the rundown schools most of the girls know. It boasts state-of-the-art classrooms, computer and science laboratories, a library and theater as well a wellness center.

"These girls deserve to be surrounded by beauty, and beauty does inspire," Winfrey told Newsweek.

"I wanted this to be a place of honor for them because these girls have never been treated with kindness. They've never been told they are pretty or have wonderful dimples. I wanted to hear those things as a child."

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    I say kudos to Oprah. I'm pretty sure if she could find an inner city area with enough children to take education as those in S.A. she'd hook them up with a wonderful school right away. But too many children in the US focus on material things and wanting to bling and floss rather than learn to read and really be someone in life.
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

DSP
    Credits
    Good deal. She's working on some projects in Liberia as well, working with our current president. After taking her 2nd DNA test, one part of Oprah's DNA matched an ethnic group in Liberia(which is also one of mine...hmm we might be related...lol)

http://www.visitzambia.co.zm/lk/news...liberia_zambia

She descends from the Kpelle people (who cluster in the Guinea Highlands of what is now central Liberia and Guinea), the Bamileke people (who cluster in modern-day Cameroon), and the legendary and mystic Nkoya people in modern-day Zambia. We hope Oprah travels there, and does a show about these findings. Let us not forget that in the previous installment, Ms. Winfrey - born to unwed parents in rural Mississippi - discovered that an ancestor owned land after the Civil War, and had a school for black children on it (and she broke into tears upon hearing the news).
    Last edited by DSP; 01-02-2007 at 02:53 PM.
    Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance can be entertaining.

Goodle this you 50 year old crusty vagina

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

Credits
    Keep in mind, most of IMIX has different values from that of the "American" community. I think its safe to speak for all when I say Oprah is right!! What can anyone do to help the kids here? You have homeless kids that will ask for a PS3 instead of food or shelter. What can we do to change the mindset of our youth?

Credits
    You cyaan blame the Afrikan Americans its just the fact they have been around white people too long.

Credits
    You cyaan blame the Afrikan Americans its just the fact they have been around white people too long.
    Agreed!!

DSP
    Credits
    Sometimes I wonder if they addressed this integration issue the wrong way, because from what I read and what some older African Americans told me they were more independent and education centered during segregation. Maybe they should have pushed for equal facilities I dont' know.
    Unfortunately, stupidity and ignorance can be entertaining.

Goodle this you 50 year old crusty vagina

--oh yes jigger boozers ever lasting wahr with the "lovers of empresses and hafrican queens" should be ashamed ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

--I like disrespect especially ones that dont involve cursing and nugga nugga nugga watch subject matter ~jigga boozy aka Carlo Pagan

Credits
    Oprah got much of the foundation for her broadcasting career
    in Baltimore. She is rumored to be looking at a high end condo
    in the new Four Seasons development here. I am hopeful that
    she will do something similar to help the children of Baltimore.

Credits
    "If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

So what is the problem...In full agreement with her....with 40-45% graduating on time....and parents buying Johnny PS3 and Ipods and all the other BS....again, no accountability by these parents.......Bad ass kids are a reflecting of the parents and the value system or lack of in place !

So good for her....spent it where it is appreciated.
    Last edited by socapineman; 01-01-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post
    So what is the problem...In ful agreement with her....with 40-45% graduating on time....and parents buying Johnny PS3 and Ipods and all the other BS....again, no accountability by these parents.
    I blame bad parenting for a lot of the problems facing
    society these days. Of course it's much easier to throw
    money at the symptoms than to admit it will take generations
    to experience real progress.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast