Thread: opinions everyone

Credits

Post opinions everyone

wht do u guys think about John Allen Muhammad defending hisself in the trial about the sniper shootings last year...........
    i think its a bunch of sh*t......how can u go up there and defend urself or even speak to a victim tht u shot...... :
    just facking crazy....only in america.......

Credits

Re: opinions everyone

Originally posted by doubledimps
    wht do u guys think about John Allen Muhammad defending hisself in the trial about the sniper shootings last year...........
    i think its a bunch of sh*t......how can u go up there and defend urself or even speak to a victim tht u shot...... :
    just facking crazy....only in america.......
    as an attorney, i think is crazy also. He is facing the death penalty. While everyone has the right to defend themselves, there is so much procedure to know for trial, there is no way he effectively defeat the prosecution.

Lawd it took me forever to understand the hearsay rules and the one billion exceptions.

Credits
    at least u understand... i'm still totally lost......

Credits
    He is a backside.

Credits
    Originally posted by Mrs_Scorpion
    He is a backside.
    I love short to the point responses.. no need for a dissertation

Credits
    Sniper defendant reverses course, now chooses attorneys to defend him
    Wednesday, October 22, 2003 Posted: 11:30 AM EDT (1530 GMT)

Muhammad, left, listens as attorneys Peter Greenspun, center, and Jonathan Shapiro watch Wednesday's trial proceedings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO
    CNN's Jeanne Meserve on a policeman's testimony about Muhammad.

PLAY VIDEO

CNN's Jeffrey Toobin on Muhammad's decision to represent himself.

PLAY VIDEO

CNN's Jeanne Meserve on John Allen Muhammad's day in court.

PLAY VIDEO

RELATED
    On the Scene: Jeffrey Toobin: Risks of self-representation

Interactive: The Muhammad jury

Interactive: Muhammad, Malvo trial sites

Muhammad's opening statement
    Read the indictment: Virginia. v. Muhammad (FindLaw, PDF)
    Order changing venue: Virginia v. Muhammad (FindLaw, PDF)
    Prince William County Circuit Court

SPECIAL REPORT

Profiles: Muhammad | Malvo
    Full coverage
    Special Report

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
    Sniper Shootings

Lee Boyd Malvo

John Allen Muhammad

Crime, Law and Justice

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia (CNN) -- Reversing a decision he made on the first day of his murder trial, Washington-area sniper suspect John Allen Muhammad will no longer represent himself, the judge announced at the beginning of Wednesday's court session.

Prince William County Circuit Judge LeRoy Millette announced Muhammad's change of heart following a bench conference with the defendant, prosecutors and the two attorneys who have been advising Muhammad, Peter Greenspun and Jonathan Shapiro.

Greenspun and Shapiro will now return to the helm of Muhammad's defense.

The judge did not offer an explanation for Muhammad's decision, which came after Greenspun and Shapiro visited their client in jail Tuesday night.

Muhammad, 42, faces a murder charge for the death of Dean Harold Meyers, 53, who was gunned down at a Sunoco gas station in Manassas, Virginia. on October 9, 2002. Muhammad could face the death penalty if prosecutors show that he murdered at least two people in a three-year period.

Meyers was one of 10 people killed during a series of sniper slayings last fall in the metro Washington area that police say were carried out by Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo, now 18. Three people were wounded.

On Monday Muhammad stunned the judge and even his own attorneys when he demanded the right to represent himself just as opening arguments were to begin in his death penalty trial. (Monday's discussion between Muhammad, judge, attorneys)

Prosecutors on Tuesday had complained about Muhammad's self-representation, even asking at one point for the judge to rescind it. They said Muhammad was receiving too much help from Shapiro and Greenspun, whose role as standby counsel was supposed to be limited.

Millette ordered Muhammad to physically distance himself from the two lawyers to minimize communications between them. Still, Millette had said on Tuesday that Muhammad had been representing himself competently.

The exchange capped a dramatic day of testimony in Muhammad's trial in which a police officer told jurors he saw and spoke to Muhammad in the immediate aftermath of one of the sniper shootings, but let him go. There were four subsequent sniper attacks.

'I'm not going to die in this parking lot'
    On Tuesday a restaurant owner shot during last year's sniper shooting spree told jurors how he was shot and robbed on September 5 of last year, a shooting that prosecutors say was linked to last year's sniper spree that claimed 10 lives. Paul J. LaRuffa wiped away tears as he recounted the experience.

Paul J. LaRuffa, the owner of an Italian restaurant in Clinton, Maryland, recounted the evening he was shot; he said he was preparing to get in his car and drive home when the shooting occurred.

"Almost immediately, I saw a figure to my left. I saw a flash of light, the window broke. I heard shots. I was being shot," he told the court.

As he bled in the vehicle, he said, "I raised up in my seat. I leaned on the horn. ... I said I'm not going to die in this parking lot in Clinton, Maryland."

LaRuffa's bloody T-shirt was displayed to the court, and jurors also heard a 911 tape from the incident in which LaRuffa could be heard yelling in the background, "I don't want to die right here."

Paul LaRuffa dries his eyes Tuesday as he recounts being shot last year.
    LaRuffa was wounded in the chest and arm, and robbed of $3,500 and a laptop computer. Prosecutors allege the money was used by Muhammad and his co-conspirator, Malvo, to buy the Chevrolet Caprice that the two used during their alleged shooting rampage. When the two were arrested last fall, prosecutors say the stolen laptop was found in their vehicle.

Then LaRuffa found himself being cross-examined by Muhammad. Muhammad began questioning LaRuffa by saying he meant no disrespect and that "I understand how you feel when your life is on the line." LaRuffa, who initially looked away from Muhammad, did not respond, The Associated Press reported.

Prosecutors complained to the judge about Muhammad's introductory remarks to LaRuffa, saying they were gratuitous and intended to curry favor with the jury. Millette told Muhammad to stick to questions.

After court, LaRuffa described the cross-examination as surreal.

"It's from the twilight zone," LaRuffa said in an AP report. "Defendants aren't supposed to question you, and that's what happened."

A total of 19 witnesses testified during the first two days of trial; 15 of them on Tuesday. The witnesses thus far have focused on two

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    I agree that man is a butt. Like Collin Ferguson.
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    good... he a facking ass......thanks for tht info.....

Credits
    I KNOW WHAT CHANGED HIS MIND

PROSECUTION: OBJECTION : DEFENDANT HAS NOT LAID PROPER FOUNDATION!

MOHAMMED

PROSECUTION: OBJECTION! HEARSAY...

MOHAMMED

PROSECUTION: OBJECTION VIOLATES RULE 408

MOHAMMED

LOL.....

Credits
    Originally posted by shandy
    I agree that man is a butt. Like Collin Ferguson.

ah was just about to call his name.... ah guess he thinks if Collin could do it why can't he... damn caca...