Thread: ONE OF THE "UNITED SISTERS" PASSED AWAY :(

Credits

ONE OF THE "UNITED SISTERS" PASSED AWAY :(

she appears to have been a very positive person...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/f7.htm

A lady of courage
    ‘I fear nothing. Not even death.
    It’s just part of the cycle of life.’
    Lady B spoke to Debbie Jacob last Carnival

SHE was exhausted and gaunt but Lady B willed herself to live through last Carnival. Many nights she held the honour of being the opening act at Kaiso House. Dressed in the traditional Tobago Speech Band costume of a powerful emperor with his silky yellow suit and ostentatious crown trimmed in fringe, she portrayed “The Castara Kid” on stage.

“It’s how I see President Robinson,” she said one night backstage. She spoke of imps and clowns, the hierarchy of the Speech Band, and the painstaking details that went into the costumes that she designed for each Carnival.

Friends and fellow calypsonians secretly worried that performing would take a further toll on her fragile health, but they all knew that Carnival had always sustained Lady B. It was Carnival and an incredibly supportive family which gave Lady B the courage to fight colon cancer. “I want to live naturally,” said Lady B. “I don’t want pity from people. I don’t want the type of reactions that keep you thinking about your illness instead of life.”

And so she never told strangers of her battle. She died of colon cancer on Tuesday.

“In life, you have to find your own strength; you have to deal with everything yourself,” said Lady B.

She fought with the nobility of a queen, refusing to wallow in self- pity.
    “When something like this happens, it makes you see life in a different way,” she said, shrugging. “These types of trials show you that no one is too big or too special to go through challenges. Everyone goes through problems in life.”

Lady B wanted little for herself, but she wanted a lot for Trinidad and Tobago. She dreamed of Port of Spain filled with banners that proclaimed our capital as “Carnival City”, and she hoped that the curtain would always rise triumphantly for Best Village. She was bothered that visitors arriving in Trinidad and Tobago didn’t feel that this was the land of steelband and calypso.

Her ultimate goal, she said, was to continue to be part of this country’s artistic development, particularly Carnival and Best Village.

Lady B was a person who lived every day of her life preparing for Carnival or promoting our culture. She was proud of her Tobago roots.

“My strength all comes from growing up in Tobago,” said Lady B. She remembered making wooden boats to slide down hills slippery with grass, and growing up with an incredible amount of love.

“I can’t explain or replace the nurturing I got,” said Lady B. She looked forward to mornings when her sisters would call before 6 and say, “B, don’t let the sun meet you in your bed.”

There was a network of phone calls as each sister called the next. Tears came to Lady B’s eyes when she spoke of losing a brother just before last Carnival.

Lady B was fully aware of her contribution to calypso, both as an individual and as a member of the United Sisters with Singing Sandra, Tigress, and Marvellous Marva.

“It sprung up naturally out of the closeness in styles and the desire we had as performers,” she said. “It worked perfectly for a while, but as anything phenomenal, it had its problems.”

Out of that sisterhood came “Ambatailah Woman”, which she referred to as “her signature piece....It made a statement about presence and power.”

Lady B felt her career gave a healthy boost to aspiring women calypsonians, and she was pleased with the emerging female voice in calypso. Although her songs always had a strong message, she saw value in every woman’s voice.

“As the United Sisters, we encouraged that style; our dynamism brought a new freedom, physically and emotionally, to women in calypso,” said Lady B.

Lady B honoured tradition and she explored new avenues in calypso. Her ability to embrace the past, challenge the future, and live happily in the present earned Lady B tremendous respect from her fellow calypsonians who referred to her last Carnival as one of the bravest calypsonians they had ever known. Everyone was trying to propel Lady B through the season and to her 45th birthday on March 25.

On that night backstage, Lady B was looking forward to Calypso Fiesta and whatever life had in store for her. “ I fear nothing. Not even death,” she said boldly. “It’s just part of the cycle of life.”

montREALady :-)
    "2gether we aspire, 2gether we achieve"

Credits

RE: Labor Day weekend pictures

It's ah&am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;qu ot; G & amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; a mp ;amp;amp ;quot; thing Chocolate's Avatar Chocolate is offline
    Credits

RE: ONE OF THE "UNITED SISTERS" PASSED AWAY :(

It was so sad when I read that.

Credits

RE: ONE OF THE "UNITED SISTERS" PASSED AWAY :(

i know :-( and what i find inspirational is that while many are afraid of death, she just looked at it as a part of life...i guess we should all do that, but it's so hard sometimes...

montREALady :-)
    "2gether we aspire, 2gether we achieve"