Thread: One man's perspective on what 'becoming' American really means

Taj
    Credits

Exclamation One man's perspective on what 'becoming' American really means

Man I really got him

He is so right!!!!!!!!!!

Excerpt from a documentary called "The Color of Fear"
    Toppa_Toppa likes this.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    Wow! That thing came from deeeep deeep deeeep down...i did not see that explosion coming....and i bet he didn't as well. That's what happens when emotions comes from that deep! Wow! And when it comes from that deep you cannot dismiss it...even if you have another point of view....you cannot dismiss his lightly! Wow!
    Toppa_Toppa likes this.

Taj
    Credits
    someone i know basically said
    I have one comment about the last statement about becoming American and how he would be willing to accept that, when White Americans are as transformed by his experience as he is by theirs. Interestingly that has been true for some time! There has been a great deal of historical scholarship over the last 40 years demonstrating how African-American experience impacted White Americans. For example, Eugene Genovese in Roll Jordon Roll spent nearly 500 pages demonstrating how slaves made a White world Blacker! While I may sympathize with “angry black dude’s” frustration with “patronizing white dude,” his argument implicitly allows white dude to define what it means to be American. I have had many conversations with patronizing white dude and they always meet “even more patronizing black dude.”
    dede do you disagree with him? what is your pov then?

Toppa_Toppa
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post

He/she talking shit.

ETA:

And missing the man's essential point.

Credits
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Credits

Taj...one of the mantras that i have drafted and taken along with me thru my life's journey is that I will not gave an entire race of people that kind of power over me.

I do not want all white people to experience my existance....to identify with me.....to interface in an intimate way with my experiences....to "feel me".
    I don't think that is necessary.

When you are that obsessed with the empathy of whites you are therefore disappointed every time you see behavior or hear words from them that doesn't reflect that empathy...you get hurt emotionally every time that happens....and that cannot be good for your psyche.

So while i understand where that comes from and how deep that hurt is in the brother, to some extent he has allowed an entire race to reach that far into his emotional makeup...which inadvertently.... allows them to continue to hurt him...day after day after day with their every disparaging word or deed.
    You cannot guilt people into empathizing with your existance.

Taj
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    Taj...one of the mantras that i have drafted and taken along with me thru my life's journey is that I will not gave an entire race of people that kind of power over me.

I do not want all white people to experience my existance....to identify with me.....to interface in an intimate way with my experiences....to "feel me".

When you are that obsessed with the empathy of whites you are therefore disappointed every time you see behavior or hear words from them that doesn't reflect that empathy...you get hurt emotionally every time that happens....and that cannot be good for your psyche.

So while i understand where that comes from and how deep that hurt is in the brother, to some extent he has allowed an entire race to reach that far into his emotional makeup...which inadvertently.... allows them to continue to hurt him...day after day after day with their every disparaging word or deed.
    let me just say I dont think he was going out of his way it seemed to be a documentary for it. I feel like he would go about his daily life as any other person. He got emotional speaking on it. I don't think he sobs about everyday slights into his pillow every night. He is just stating it as he sees it. When he inhabits that skin with that hairstyle their america is not his america and because of the institutions they control it will never be and they will never understand that divide no matter how many black friends they have know or 'understand'.

Just as with events that happen in life sometimes things affect you so this iron man portrayal you're making of yourself as it pertains to race has me in disbelief you could be that unflappable in all situations

I do understand the perspective of your approach tho.
    Last edited by Taj; 04-10-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Toppa_Toppa

No, I think he was calling them out and making them recognise that they perspective on the whole race relations issue was biased and ethno-centric - they only saw it from their perspective and thus could not grasp the sentiments of the other groups, could not even acknowledge or recognise their sentiments. He wasn't asking them for empathy, he was telling them to pull their heads out of their arse(s).
    dollbabi and SKBai1991 like this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppa_Toppa View Post
    No, I think he was calling them out and making them recognise that they perspective on the whole race relations issue was biased and ethno-centric - they only saw it from their perspective and thus could not grasp the sentiments of the other groups, could not even acknowledge or recognise their sentiments. He wasn't asking them for empathy, he was telling them to pull their heads out of their arse(s).
    Toppa where did that well spring of emotion come from......not from hurt....not from deep scars?

Credits
    I've seen this clip. Love how he left that man in utter silence.

Quote Originally Posted by BABYLOC View Post
    It's interesting how you can agree with this man yet make statements such as this one in the other thread...

Quote Originally Posted by BABYLOC View Post
    IMIX is negative!!!

i have always stated my interaction with WI ppl EVERYWHERE has been always been pleasant...EXCEPT IMIX...

IMIX got a speacial breed of AMERICAN BORN americans, who wanna claim WI just cuz thier parents born there..and the attitudes..well, the reaction fits IMO

sooo...stop being @ssholes, and I will as well.

AND its a pubilc forum..i can do what i want
    The man stated that you have to throw away your ethnicity to "become American," etc. So apparently, you're like the white man when it comes to people who maintain their heritage. Don't maintain any vestiges of your cultural background, be "American."

Toppa_Toppa
    Toppa where did that well spring of emotion come from......not from hurt....not from deep scars?
    Yes, and it was probably very real and not imagined. Especially since look at the time period that video was recorded in...

Credits
    he has some solid points, but the problems with Blacks in post civil rights era is that they COMPLAIN way too much, I see their attitudes and horrid behavior towards themselves.

why is no one addressing that?
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    let me just say I dont think he was going out of his way it seemed to be a documentary for it. I feel like he would go about his daily life as any other person. He got emotional speaking on it. I don't think he sobs about everyday slights into his pillow every night. He is just stating it as he sees it. When he inhabits that skin with that hairstyle their america is not his america and because of the institutions they control it will never be and they will never understand that divide no matter how many black friends they have know or 'understand'.

Just as with events that happen in life sometimes things affect you so this iron man portrayal you're making of yourself as it pertains to race has me in disbelief you could be that unflappable in all situations

I do understand the perspective of your approach tho.
    I hear ya! I can only use myself as an example Taj. When i first came to this country and started hearing and seeing how some white people reacted to black people and what they will say sometimes to and about black people, I would be hurt by it.

So much so that i started making the extra effort to smile in enclosed spaces with them...to make myself seem as non-threatening as possible...to let them know that i am a "good one".

I wanted them to like me....to see things how i see them...to emphatize with me.

All of that just meant that i would be hurt even more when the next episode of "########################" or "not in my neighborhood" came around.

Then i became angry...i wanted to hurt them.....just like they hurt me....i wanted to scare them to....so i would walk around looking menacing.

After all of this i finally found a place where the negativity didn't matter. I would vibe with you if you would vibe with me the way i am in all my emotional states...but without no special effort involved.

The negativity I removed myself from...emotionally.....it just didn't matter to me. I couldn't care less if you didn't like me because i am black....that is your problem not mine.

I truly live my life like that and i just don't get overly emotional about these things anymore. I will become involved if people or their property are being physically hurt by racists though. But like i said i see yours and the dude's point of view as well.

Taj
    Credits
    I hear ya! I can only use myself as an example Taj. When i first came to this country and started hearing and seeing how some white people reacted to black people and what they will say sometimes to and about black people, I would be hurt by it.

So much so that i started making the extra effort to smile in enclosed spaces with them...to make myself seem as non-threatening as possible...to let them know that i am a "good one".

I wanted them to like me....to see things how i see them...to emphatize with me.

All of that just meant that i would be hurt even more when the next episode of "########################" or "not in my neighborhood" came around.

Then i became angry...i wanted to hurt them.....just like they hurt me....i wanted to scare them to....so i would walk around looking menacing.

After all of this i finally found a place where the negativity didn't matter. I would vibe with you if you would vibe with me the way i am in all my emotional states...but without no special effort involved.

The negativity I removed myself from...emotionally.....it just didn't matter to me. I couldn't care less if you didn't like me because i am black....that is your problem not mine.

I truly live my life like that and i just don't get overly emotional about these things anymore. I will become involved if people or their property are being physically hurt by racists though. But like i said i see yours and the dude's point of view as well.
    ok gotcha, totally

Down di road, ova di gully, pass di big tree
    Credits
    ofWow. I never really thought of that before as when he said to be american is to lose ones ethnicity. Come to think of it everyone but the American Indians migrated to this land, leaving their culture and ethnicity. Today, to be identified as "American" is to put aside one's culture, or assimilate into a nation that is essentially without culture. And thats where the problems starts

I'm gonna try to watch the entire doc.
    Disclaimer:
    Many of you can't keep Jamaica outa yuh mouth. Its ok, we understand you can't help it. Envy is a helluva thing. But let it be known. If you've never been to mi yawd your comments about mi yawd shall hereby be stricken as nuttin but verbal defecation. Walk good.

Yes I am a superhero. Sarcasm is my superpower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast