Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ok, tell then truth folks, are you intimidated by

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache
    white people?
    In de early days as a young cuunuumoonoo, when I first came to North America, yes. Now, absolutely not.

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    The cyber bait and tackle shop had a big sale ent?
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by wukkinup
    Yeah...white people make me nervous
    Lol...

Credits

Question

Quote Originally Posted by nygee
    I have to agree with VP, its not always about physical intimidation. And no im not scurrred ah dem.
    Explain.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by GWADA-BAJE
    Explain.
    You know how someone might be scared of another person because phsically they are superior in strength and stature, they could just thump the shit out of another person, well that is not always the case. I believe that blacks are already physically superior to whites. In this country there is a reason why Jim Crow laws and other segregation acts were put in place. Black people have always had unlimited potential. We dominate the muic industry also. Acadmically and scientifically we also have major accomplishments which you will only hear about during black history month and you will probably never se in there history books. My bottom line is we are a force to be dealt with already, they are aware of this and like the good ole days put things in place to keep us in our place. The most dangerous person to them isnt a negro with a gun, but a negro with a brain and ambition. And this is the bonus to top off my ignorance, Penis Envy.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache
    white people?
    Dat is rel kicks.

Blu
    Credits
    Letting yourself be intimidated by people because of their skin color IN THIS DAY AND AGE is stupid. You'd have to be really ignorant and uneducated to let just a skin color get to you. I could understand being intimidated by someone who holds a certain position or has a certain amount of authority yes but not intimidation based only on skin color.
    Last edited by Blu; 03-19-2006 at 11:50 AM.

sharkie
    black ppl intimidate me!!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkbait
    black ppl intimidate me!!!
    is strange at times.. riding the subway at night.. you don't kno if an angry white man is going to jump you because you going to schoo..l or black/latino angry man is going to jump you because you going to school..

Credits
    I woud have to say that plenty people here have differences experiences with white people, good and bad. But also be mindful that the response will be very mixed due to the fact that some of the imixers are bi-racial and one of their parents are white west indians or have married a west indian and created an imixer.

Intimidation is only allowed in if "you" the individual let it in. Imitimidation can only sink in if you skin is thin and you allow yourself to be influenced by flase information. We a person carries themselves with a broad back and thick skin.. they can be surrounded by the highest of the high and still feel good about who they are are what they are all about...
    Last edited by simmie; 03-19-2006 at 12:23 PM.

sebas4920
    sometimes if in groups with alcohol involved

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by nygee
    You know how someone might be scared of another person because phsically they are superior in strength and stature, they could just thump the shit out of another person, well that is not always the case. I believe that blacks are already physically superior to whites. In this country there is a reason why Jim Crow laws and other segregation acts were put in place. Black people have always had unlimited potential. We dominate the muic industry also. Acadmically and scientifically we also have major accomplishments which you will only hear about during black history month and you will probably never se in there history books. My bottom line is we are a force to be dealt with already, they are aware of this and like the good ole days put things in place to keep us in our place. The most dangerous person to them isnt a negro with a gun, but a negro with a brain and ambition. And this is the bonus to top off my ignorance, Penis Envy.

Gotcha!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by GWADA-BAJE
    Gotcha!
    I forgot to add that there are good white folks out there (cliche but some of my best friends are white) and god knows there are some evil self hating negros out there who are worst than the evil white ones. All in all I revert to my stance that all people suck and you must deal with people on an individual basis.

Credits
    Nope, not at all. There just people like everyone else...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA
    Mannnn, WHITE PEOPLE are INTIMIDATED by BLACK people, especially the BLACK MAN.

This is a HISTORICAL FACT.
    At least in the USA.

African-Americans and Caucasians have similar emotional brain activity when seeing African-Americans
    10 May 2005

African Americans and Caucasians viewing African American faces display extremely similar changes in the activity of brain structures that respond to emotional events, a new UCLA study finds.

The changes occur in the amygdala, a region of the brain that serves as an "alarm" to activate a cascade of other biological systems to protect the body in times of danger, said Matthew D. Lieberman, assistant professor of psychology at UCLA and lead author of the study.

The findings will be published May 8 in the online version of Nature Neuroscience, and later in the print version.

Five out of eight African Americans (63 percent) responded with significantly more amygdala activity when presented with expressionless photographs of African Americans than when they were shown expressionless photographs of Caucasians, Lieberman and his colleagues found. Seven of 11 Caucasians (64 percent) in the study also responded with greater activity in the amygdala when viewing the African American photographs.

Although a third of participants in each race did not show this effect, no participant in the study responded with greater amygdala activity to the Caucasian photographs than to the African American photographs, Lieberman said.

"We didn't see any differences in amygdala activity between the racial groups," Lieberman said. "From looking at the amygdala, you couldn't tell if the scans were from African American or Caucasian participants.

"Many people of either race may not be happy to find out that a part of their brain involved in responding to potential threats responds more to African Americans than Caucasians," Lieberman said. "Even people who believe to their core that they do not have prejudices may still have negative associations that are not conscious."

Why do African Americans have this amygdala response?

"One theory," Lieberman said, "is that people are likely to pick up the stereotypes prevalent in a society regardless of whether their family or community agrees with those stereotypes. Several social psychologists have found evidence for this view. From an early age, cultural views, media portrayals and even the body language of authority figures may train our brains, whether we consciously agree or not."

Previous research has shown that Caucasians show an increased amygdala response to African American photos to the extent that they hold nonconscious negative attitudes towards African Americans, Lieberman said.

Co-authors on the study are Johanna Jarcho, a UCLA graduate student in Lieberman's laboratory; UCLA graduate student Naomi Eisenberger; Susan Bookheimer, professor of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at UCLA's David Geffen School of Medicine; and Ahmad Hariri, assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and a former UCLA graduate student.

The researchers also studied whether adding a verbal label (such as "African American") when viewing African American photos changes the amygdala response, and found it does.

"When people look at an African American and think of the word 'African American,' we no longer see the amygdala response," Lieberman said. Instead, the researchers found changes in a second region of the brain: the right ventrolateral prefrontal cortex. This region of the brain is located behind the forehead and eyes, and has been associated with thinking in words about emotional experiences; it also is associated with inhibiting behavior, impulses and emotions.

"This region is especially active when you add the verbal label to the face," Lieberman said. "The people who show the most activity in the right ventrolateral prefrontal cortex show the least activity in the amygdala.

"We found that when the right ventrolateral prefrontal cortex gets turned on, the amygdala does not," he added. "When you engage in verbal labeling, that partially turns off or disrupts the amygdala response. The right ventrolateral prefrontal cortex was significantly active only when people were looking at African Americans and choosing the word 'African American.'"

These results suggest that "thinking about the race of others in words may regulate some of the threat experienced when confronting unfamiliar or feared others," Lieberman said. "It is possible this emotional 'benefit' of using race-related words may have inadvertently contributed to the widespread use of race-related words and stereotypes."

Lieberman and his colleagues used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to examine brain activity for this study, conducted at UCLA's Ahmanson-Lovelace Brain Mapping Center.

The research was supported by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute of Mental Health.

stuartw@college.ucla.edu
    310-206-0511
    University of California - Los Angeles
    http://www.healthcare.ucla.edu/news

Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=24085

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast