Thread: NY Mayor Pledges Help to Jamaica

Credits

NY Mayor Pledges Help to Jamaica

Don't know how I feel about this yet....thoughts later.

Monday January 12, 2004
    NY MAYOR PLEDGES HELP

The Observer: New York's Mayor Michael Bloomberg yesterday promised his city's help to Kingston to combat a range of ills - from gun crime to AIDS - during his flying visit to the Jamaican capital.

Bloomberg spent fewer than six hours in the city and during his stay had talks with his Kingston counterpart, Desmond McKenzie; Local Government Minister, Portia Simpson Miller and National Security Minister, Peter Phillips.

"New York City and Kingston both have, unfortunately, like any big city, problems where too many people have guns on the streets and too many drug dealers," the New York Mayor told reporters at a press conference, as he outlined the proposals for co-operation between the two cities and some specific areas for attention.

"I think that (AIDS) and cancer and asthma and those kinds of big city diseases are things that each city deals with differently and nobody has got all the good ideas and there is nothing to say you can't learn a lot from another city," he said. "So you always want to have those kinds of relationships."

Credits

Re: NY Mayor Pledges Help to Jamaica

Originally posted by topclassbubbla
    Don't know how I feel about this yet....thoughts later.

Monday January 12, 2004
    NY MAYOR PLEDGES HELP

The Observer: New York's Mayor Michael Bloomberg yesterday promised his city's help to Kingston to combat a range of ills - from gun crime to AIDS - during his flying visit to the Jamaican capital.

Bloomberg spent fewer than six hours in the city and during his stay had talks with his Kingston counterpart, Desmond McKenzie; Local Government Minister, Portia Simpson Miller and National Security Minister, Peter Phillips.

"New York City and Kingston both have, unfortunately, like any big city, problems where too many people have guns on the streets and too many drug dealers," the New York Mayor told reporters at a press conference, as he outlined the proposals for co-operation between the two cities and some specific areas for attention.

"I think that (AIDS) and cancer and asthma and those kinds of big city diseases are things that each city deals with differently and nobody has got all the good ideas and there is nothing to say you can't learn a lot from another city," he said. "So you always want to have those kinds of relationships."
    Steups, I want to see some kinda government official pledge to help this country instead of playin they helping everyone else.

Credits

Re: NY Mayor Pledges Help to Jamaica

Originally posted by topclassbubbla
    Gun crime, disease, etc................uhm, did they talk anything about improving the economy, about improving the conditions that are causing all these other problems?

Without this, I'm always skeptical and think "disingenuous".