Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No tuition @ Harvard

Credits

No tuition @ Harvard

doh know how true this is..got it in an email..but figured it might be worth a phone call to find out...
    ~~

Harvard University announced over the weekend that from now on undergraduate
    students from low-income families will pay no tuition. In making the announcement, Harvard's president Lawrence H. Summers said, "When only 10 percent of the students in Elite higher education come from families in lower half of the income distribution, we are not doing enough. We are not doing enough in bringing elite higher education to the lower half of the income distribution. "If you know of a family earning less than $40,000 a year with an honor student graduating from high school soon, Harvard University wants to pay the tuition. The prestigious university recently announced that from now on undergraduate students from low-income families can go to Harvard for free...no tuition and no student loans! In addition it will reduce the contributions expected of families with incomes falling between $40,000 to $60,000. To find out more about Harvard offering free tuition for families making less than $40,000 a year visit Harvard's financial aid website at:

http://adm-is.fas.harvard.edu/FAO/index.htm

or call the school's financial aid office at (617)495-1581.

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soca junkie
    doh know how true this is..got it in an email..but figured it might be worth a phone call to find out...
    ~~

students from low-income families will pay no tuition. In making the announcement, Harvard's president Lawrence H. Summers said, "When only 10 percent of the students in Elite higher education come from families in lower half of the income distribution, we are not doing enough. We are not doing enough in bringing elite higher education to the lower half of the income distribution. "If you know of a family earning less than $40,000 a year with an honor student graduating from high school soon, Harvard University wants to pay the tuition. The prestigious university recently announced that from now on undergraduate students from low-income families can go to Harvard for free...no tuition and no student loans! In addition it will reduce the contributions expected of families with incomes falling between $40,000 to $60,000. To find out more about Harvard offering free tuition for families making less than $40,000 a year visit Harvard's financial aid website at:

Yep, it's true...check the website from the "horse's mouth"
    Harvard President Lawrence H. Summers announced in 2004 a major new initiative designed to encourage talented students from families of low and moderate income to attend Harvard College. While the initiative has four major components, including recruitment, admissions, and a summer academic program designed to prepare talented students from financially disadvantaged backgrounds for college, the financial aid component increases aid for students from low and moderate income families. Parents in families with incomes of less than $40,000 will no longer be expected to contribute to the cost of attending Harvard for their children. In addition, Harvard will reduce the contributions expected of families with incomes between $40,000 and $60,000. The initiative, currently benefits more than 1000 families on an annual basis.
    Visit http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/...28-finaid.html for the full text of this announcement.

http://fao.fas.harvard.edu/
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    Do I smell another degree from harvard??? thats great! I wish it was around when I was a college body.....but thats wonderful news....thanks SJ!!

Credits
    Interesting, definitely commendable. I have to wonder what kind of effect it will have; we all know it's very tuff for children in low-income households to achieve the type of education that would eventually qualify them for a school such as Harvard. But regardless, if even 1, 10, or 50 children benefit, then it's something positive.

Makes you wonder if a school in general might adjust their tuition based on the needs of individual families; i.e. lower income families pay lower tuition (I suppose that would be similar to a grant?)

Don't mind me; it's early and I'm having a flux of thought.

Credits
    ~~

well yes.... looks like i might have to look into getting a second degree. i spoke to one of my friends and he said yeah its true thats the talk around campus.

where the Eagles are a hometown favorite!
    Credits
    but what is the catch to this for the minority student..
    would that student be ridiculed for his/her college stay
    does this child want the burden/pressure of people knowing that he'she is from a low income family or situation...
    what GPA does this student need to maintain to keep his tuition paid

ah mean there must be some catch 52 to this

Kiz
    Credits
    can someone let me know when a graduate program is free for students with income lower dan 58k

elq
    Credits
    posted 10/28/2005 by Red Pole
    Harvard Scholarships

Credits
    good job harvard....eventhough i have never heard of a case where a person got accepted into harvard but could not attend for financial reasons.

Credits
    i am willing to bet that even if harvard gave away free tuition AND PAID STUDENTS 50k year, MOST kids from the hood still wouldnt do what they needed to do to take advantage of the situation.

LSK
    Credits

Kizzy... In your dreams!

Kiz
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LSK

Kizzy... In your dreams!

girl move nah.......

Pebbles362436
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras_Apache
    i am willing to bet that even if harvard gave away free tuition AND PAID STUDENTS 50k year, MOST kids from the hood still wouldnt do what they needed to do to take advantage of the situation.
    Normally the kids in the inner city that qualify for these full Academic scholarships and pell grants at Havard, Yale and MIT etc either have a perfect 800 score on their SAT's or they are ranked in the top 10 of their High school graduating class.

Kiz what area are you trying to study in Graduate School?

LSK
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinikiz
    girl move nah.......
    Gladly...

.....I like tu move it move it...

Kiz
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LSK
    Gladly...

.....I like tu move it move it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast