Thread: No Minshall for 2003

Credits

Unhappy No Minshall for 2003

There will be no “waiting for Minshall” at the Carnival competitions this year.

While the internationally-renowned designer and Carnival bandleader has not made any official announcement, sources close to the band have indicated that Peter Minshall will not be bringing a band this year.

This was confirmed yesterday by Express editor-at-large and Laventille Rhythm Section manager, Keith Smith, who said that he had left a query on Minshall’s answering machine and received an answer via the Callaloo Company’s headquarters advising Laventille Rhythm to make alternative arrangements for this year’s Carnival.

The “Rhythm Section” has played both with the Minshall band and the related 3-Canal Jouvert band since its inception. But while the 3-Canal band is up and running with its tenth anniversary presentation, the usual negotiations for Minshall’s band have not taken place for this year’s Carnival and, weeks before the event, no designs are available—nor has any date for the band’s launch been announced.

While given his experienced team and known ability it might still be possible for Minshall to put a band on the road, “Callaloo” sources do not think this to be very likely since “Peter is not in the proper state of mind”.

The bandleader is known to have been thrown by the long controversy over last year’s “Band of the Year” results which saw Richard Afong’s Barbarossa winning the Band-of-the-Year title following allegations that both the previous winner, Legends, and Minshall, a six-time winner, had infringed the route rules and suffered points deductions as a consequence

He is also said to be saddened by the overall state of the country and this has also contributed to his decision not to launch his Ship of Fools, the proposed name of this year’s sailor-inspired band.

Credits

Angry

I can not believe this. The one refreshing presentation to cross the stage on Monday and Tuesday will not be there. I for one am disappointed. As a long time Minshall fan, I used to rush the stage when his Kings and Queens crossed the stage during Dimanche Gras and waited patiently for his band in the Savannah no matter what time they managed to cross the stage. Without Minshall all we can look forward to is feathers, sequins and glitter. Mas is slowly turning into it's Brazilian counterpart. We live in a time when Poison's, Legend's etc costumes are interchangeable. You can be in Poison and take a jump with Legends and no one would be the wiser. Don't get me wrong I like mih "pretty" mas (good eye candy) but some mas with a lil bit more depth is nice too.

http://www.callaloo.co.tt/
    Last edited by Metro Robber; 01-30-2003 at 11:02 AM.

Credits
    So now what are the older people supposed to do...???

Credits
    Originally posted by Ilandfntsy
    So now what are the older people supposed to do...???
    Poison Japanese Iris!

dem got whole suit.

on a lighter note, doh buff meh PLEASE, we doh have to wait as long to cross the stage!

but Minshall will be missed this year!

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits
    No Minshall, Please say it isn't so
    He will definately be missed this year
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits
    No Minshall and no Rudder....what is happening to Carnival. I would never play a Minshall section but I liked to watch his creativity come to life on Carnival Tuesday...Wow