Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: No bail for guns or drugs in T&T, what allyuh think about this?

Credits

Arrow No bail for guns or drugs in T&T, what allyuh think about this?

NO BAIL FOR GUNS

PM proposes new laws to fight crime following meeting with heads of security

As the Government grapples with the rising murder toll, it is moving "quickly" to bring legislation to deny bail to anyone found with illegal firearms or drugs in any quantity.
    Under the current law, there is a three-strikes rule (a person must have three such offences) before the no-bail provision kicks in.
    Concerned about the horrifying murders and the apparent spike in the murder toll, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday summoned heads of the Police Service and Army to a meeting at her Parliament office to discuss the crime situation and proposals aimed at addressing it.
    After an "intense" meeting, Persad-Bissessar announced that the team had agreed to "increase the visibility" of the joint patrols and road blocks "as of today".
    The country can expect more road blocks, a significant increase in joint police-army patrols (on foot and vehicular) as well as an increase in air patrols.
    "I hope that with the increased visibility we can bring a sense of comfort to our citizenry that there are more personnel out there looking after their interests in terms of protective services," Persad-Bissessar stated.
    In addition, Government would bring "quickly" to the Parliament legislation for making the possession of firearms and the possession of drugs non-bailable offences. The legislation would also change the sentencing for such offences from discretionary to mandatory, she said. "Such legislation should be relatively simple," she added.
    On Thursday night at a press conference at Piarco International Airport shortly after her return from Haiti, the Prime Minister said Government was moving toward the precepting of soldiers.
    She said there was a reluctance on the part of the former police commissioner (Dwayne Gibbs) to implement such an initiative, and this had slowed down the adoption of this idea. She said the Government had to find creative ways of dealing with the crime situation.
    Attorney General Anand Ramlogan told the Express he would be taking the note to Cabinet next week for the no-bail provision and for the precepting of soldiers "with police training".
    "I would be treating with this as a matter of urgency," he said. Noting that there was a three-strikes provision, he said: "That means that three (or more) lives could be lost before you reach the no-bail provision. You can take a life with a firearm. People are terrified and the situation calls for tough measures. We were treating with the softer (social) side,but you must balance it with tough laws."
    He said Justice Minister Christlyn Moore was working assiduously to put in place the infrastructure necessary for the implementation of the Electronic Monitoring Act, the DNA Act and the Act to abolish Preliminary Enquiries.
    Government's most recent initiatives follow the decapitation of ex-prisoner Learie Ceballo, whose head was left on a bar table in La Romaine; the hog-tying, beating and strangulation of 70-year-old grandmother Carmen Ramjattan;and the murder of Mwali Seales, brother of Sgt Michael Seales, secretary of the Police Service Social and Welfare Association.
    It also follows the statement by Police Service Commission chairman Ramesh Deosaran that the crime-fighting measures over the past years had failed.
    Among those present at the meeting with the Prime Minister were Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal, National Security Minister Jack Warner, acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams, Major General Kenrick Maharaj and Brigadier Anthony Phillips-Spencer.
    Man ah Barbeerian bound tuh be by de bar beer in meh hand beastly cold.

Credits
    that could be problematic in one sense as is the small man holding a joint could get clean up but the syrians still running loose eh... and this legislation could seem quite Gestapo-esque under the wrong circumstances.. what they needed to do is enforce better policing standards and speed the rate at which cases come before the bench
    Oneshot likes this.
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    197,292,866,388,999,999,818,295,870,602,935,687,472,364,398, 106,721,251,075,546,939,392
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    that could be problematic in one sense as is the small man holding a joint could get clean up but the syrians still running loose eh... and this legislation could seem quite Gestapo-esque under the wrong circumstances.. what they needed to do is enforce better policing standards and speed the rate at which cases come before the bench
    FACK de small man send them all jail
    SWAGGERIFIC and Socapro like this.

Credits
    I don't ever think Kamla and dey ever make holistic decisions, they more or less do things piecemeal and hope it works
    Socapro likes this.
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    I don't ever think Kamla and dey ever make holistic decisions, they more or less do things piecemeal and hope it works
    The PP is a reactive government not a proactive one, every time crime takes a turn for the worst or turns gruesome they react, last time was the SOE because crime was spiraling out of control this time it's because we have two beheadings. from the min they took control, these laws should of been taken into prospective. they came across to the people as the knight in shining armor that had a crime plan but right now they are looking more like wolves in sheep's clothing.

When you're in the passenger seat you can run your mouth off and tell the driver how bad he's driving but things look a lot different when you are the one behind the wheel. The PP need to learn not everything you put on paper looks good when you reach the practical part of your plan.
    Socapro likes this.
    Man ah Barbeerian bound tuh be by de bar beer in meh hand beastly cold.

Credits
    please stop maligning an entire race of people as being involved in criminal activity, its unfair.
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    not for weed

Credits
    ok this is some recommendations for improving the crime rate in Trinidad, short term, medium term and long term.

1) Have a gun amnesty program, awarding people who bring in guns with monetary incentives and jobs and betterment.

2) Set up more patrols of the waters, have proper 360 protection of our borders

3) Set up more police foot patrols, driving patrols and mobile units in specific hotspots especially in Laventille, Diego Martin, Arima, Maloney, La Horquetta, Enterprise etc

4) Promote competent officers to local commisioner positions, so these commisioners would be resposible for reducing crime figures in their specific area, so you will have a commissioner for Laventille/P.O.S, one for Diego Martin etc, they all have to meet weekly and they all must answer to the head commisioner. They would all be given 6 months to create significant reductions and their success will give them incentives or they will be fired. Also, The immediate removal of the current Police Commisioner, the removal of Jack Warner as Minister.

5) Clean up the judiciary, complete a lot of the outstanding cases by having weekend court and night court

6) Get rid of police/army/coast guard promotion based on seniority, but based on performance. Have the semi annual appraisals done by an independent body. With some foreign officials sitting on this independent body.

7) Resume capital punishment/hanging immediately, with public hangings and torture a scare tactic method. at least once a week we should put a murderer to be subject to public hanging (trust me, this alone with cut murders in half)

8) Build a court and prison close by for a reduction in given transport contracts to private companies to transport offenders

9) Social programmes to give mandatory employment and business to people in crime stricken areas. Make sure and send social workers to every community to find out why youths are not working, what type of activities they are involved in and try to get them to get into legal proper jobs. Harnest sports and entertainment/singing/dancing talents.

10) Crime Reduction and prevention class in all secondary schools to make students aware of the potential negatives of engaging in a life of crime.

11) Immediately set up no bail for people held with an illegal gun, with the possession of cocaine and those who engage in kidnapping.

12) A foreign investigation unit/with CSI capabilities to investigate murders. The aim of this unit would be to bring the detection rate up, right now 6% of murders are solved...the aim would be to bring this number up to 60% in 2 years

13) Special white collar crime legislation to deal with high society people dealing in drug transhipment and drug smuggling, activities

14) Immediately stop campaign financing by big business to government. The treasury should fund each political party, trust me this would be cheaper to us than corruption, because the parties would not be indebted to these big business and will allow them to go after businessmen.

15. Make it mandatory for big business/corporations to donate a percentage of their funds to developing wealth and job creation in crime stricken areas. By helping with park maintanence, job programmes, technical programmes, starting in laventille and moving outward.

16. Make the issue of crime a bipartisan issue, with the government and opposition meeting weekly to discuss the issues and keeping the blame off the political platforms

17. Prison Reform - programmes to incoporate prisoners back into society. Keep them under protection and a sort of probation for 2 years after leaving prison, allowing them opportunities to get jobs

18. Vagrants and street children program - all Vagrants to be taken off the streets and housed, same with street children

19. Tracking of new immigrants, illegal immigrants and recent deportees to the country

20. Develop a better more secure witness protection program so people would be more likely to step up to give information.
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    please stop maligning an entire race of people as being involved in criminal activity, its unfair.
    sorry.. didnt know i need to say THOSE INVOLVED IN THE DRUG TRADE.. smh... j
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    Swaggerific u really thought about this ...

But all you mention is punishment and nothing for prevention .....

Btw lol @ 8

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    Swaggerific u really thought about this ...

But all you mention is punishment and nothing for prevention .....

Btw lol @ 8
    well yes there is a lot of prevention, look carefully, and punishment is a sure prevention, especially when dealing with Black people, we need to get some licks b4 we could mellow...taking us back to slavery.

maybe wip some of them with cat o nine tails

btw whats funny about #8?

and it did not take me long to come up with this, thats why those in power should be able to curb the problem with the billions they have, All I want is 100 million and i will root out this problem in 2 years.
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    i like your crime curbing steps though swagger
    SWAGGERIFIC likes this.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    Swagger. So #1

You get a job if you turn n a gun ?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucianite View Post
    Swagger. So #1

You get a job if you turn n a gun ?
    it depends on the person, and their circumstance, some people have jobs but still do illegal stuff on the side.

the gun amnesty program will run for a week before the no bail for gun offences legislation come into effect.
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    i like your crime curbing steps though swagger
    with a few tweaks here and there, funding, the political will, I could see my crime plan going far. Obviously its not gonna be easy but if every level of society is willing to do their part then things can work.

But right now, everyone is giving the problem, lip service only
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast