Thread: Nine Nights

Credits

Nine Nights

I remember VP's posts about Nine Nights celebrations at Christmas time
    in St Vincent. Just the other day I read where it is traditional to honor
    the recently departed in Jamaica for nine nights. Can someone explain the
    significance of nine nights? Is the nine nights a coincidence or is it based
    in a deeper tradition?
    Think For Yourself

Official Winin' criminal Soca_Loving_Trini's Avatar Soca_Loving_Trini is offline
    Credits
    I'm not sure of the origin but here in trini we have nine nights when someone dies its actually you count nine days after the death and have a lil sumtin kinda like a wake, not too sure of the significance just something you know grow up doing. Then usually there's 40 days which i guess is symbolic of the Christian religion where Jesus fasted for 40 days maybe *shrugs*

I can only be me.... MadamStatuesque's Avatar MadamStatuesque is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlocks View Post
    I remember VP's posts about Nine Nights celebrations at Christmas time
    in St Vincent. Just the other day I read where it is traditional to honor
    the recently departed in Jamaica for nine nights. Can someone explain the
    significance of nine nights? Is the nine nights a coincidence or is it based
    in a deeper tradition?
    exactly. on my mom's side of family (Grenadines side) we celebrate nine nights in honor of the dead.
    Not a single ounce of fock shall be given today...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca_Loving_Trini View Post
    I'm not sure of the origin but here in trini we have nine nights when someone dies its actually you count nine days after the death and have a lil sumtin kinda like a wake, not too sure of the significance just something you know grow up doing. Then usually there's 40 days which i guess is symbolic of the Christian religion where Jesus fasted for 40 days maybe *shrugs*
    yep, we had nine nights for all our relatives that past

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits
    Nine Mornings Festival : Discover St Vincent And The Grenadines

What To Do Festivals & Events Nine Mornings Press (Ctrl + D) pour ajouter la page! Vous devez faire cela manuellement! S'il vous pla�t remplir le formulaire ci-dessous Your Name

NINE MORNINGS FESTIVAL
    Nine Mornings is a unique Vincentian festivity associated with the Christmas season. Nine Mornings before Christmas, Vincentians awake in the early hours of the morning and partake in a range of activities, among them sea baths, dances (or in local parlance, fetes), bicycle riding and street concerts. In the rural areas, the final morning of the festivity usually ends with a steel band “jump-up”. View the 2009 Nine Mornings program here.

The origins of this festivity are clouded in some mystery, although the original tradition relates it to the ‘novena’ of the Catholic Church on the nine days before Christmas. It is believed that after the early morning church services of the Catholics, worshippers began walking the streets while others went for sea baths. From this the popular Nine Mornings festivity emerged. Although popular opinion has this practice as starting during the period of slavery, it was more likely to have been a post-emancipation practice.

History of Nine Mornings Festival
    It is also believed that in the 1920s, a Vincentian member of the Dominican Order of the Catholic Church initiated a tradition of celebrating a Christmas novena in the early hours of the morning.

But Vincy also has the 9 nights after a person dies, followed by a 40 nights, then a 1 year service. Hope this helps. So one is 9 mornings the other is 9 nights.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by **Vincy-Soca-Diva** View Post
    But Vincy also has the 9 nights after a person dies, followed by a 40 nights, then a 1 year service. Hope this helps. So one is 9 mornings the other is 9 nights.
    Thanks for posting the article. I obviously confused Nine Mornings and Nine
    Nights. I guess I can't tell the difference between night and day.
    Think For Yourself

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlocks View Post
    Thanks for posting the article. I obviously confused Nine Mornings and Nine
    Nights. I guess I can't tell the difference between night and day.
    its ok