Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Nica

Nica

How come there doesn't seem to be any trend towards healthy caribbean cooking? Why is it that I don't see any recipes for things like "Whole Grain, gluten free roti" or "how to make macaroni pie taste good w/out using too much cheese" etc. I don't mean necessarily from you, eh..asking you cause I figure you're aware of food trends.

Had to replace my Naparima cookbook while I was in Trinidad (cause my sis took it and won't give it back) and went in 3 bookstores searching for a cookbook that had even a few pages like that and found nada. I'm sure there are ways to modify traditional recipes to make them healthier and low cal but surprised to see that no one has jumped on that. Seems like ppl content to just give up eating the things that they love?
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

"god is the deification of a culture."
    -Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

Quote Originally Posted by BacchanalDiva View Post
    How come there doesn't seem to be any trend towards healthy caribbean cooking? Why is it that I don't see any recipes for things like "Whole Grain, gluten free roti" or "how to make macaroni pie taste good w/out using too much cheese" etc. I don't mean necessarily from you, eh..asking you cause I figure you're aware of food trends.

Had to replace my Naparima cookbook while I was in Trinidad (cause my sis took it and won't give it back) and went in 3 bookstores searching for a cookbook that had even a few pages like that and found nada. I'm sure there are ways to modify traditional recipes to make them healthier and low cal but surprised to see that no one has jumped on that. Seems like ppl content to just give up eating the things that they love?
    i think its the same reason why ppl dont lean toward healthy southern cooked soul food ...its just doesnt taste good! our food is like a comfort..and gluten free..not enough cheese doesnt make us feel comforatable.

its a shame really. a lot of us are not health concious or just like it how we like it. i know if im eating it (and in moderation these days)..i dont want to cut corners, give me the butter, give me the fat back : give me it allllll....
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Quote Originally Posted by BABYLOC View Post
    i think its the same reason why ppl dont lean toward healthy southern cooked soul food ...its just doesnt taste good! our food is like a comfort..and gluten free..not enough cheese doesnt make us feel comforatable.

its a shame really. a lot of us are not health concious or just like it how we like it. i know if im eating it (and in moderation these days)..i dont want to cut corners, give me the butter, give me the fat back : give me it allllll....
    so yuh saying just save it for my cheat days and eat it like it meant to be?
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses." -Plato

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

so yuh saying just save it for my cheat days and eat it like it meant to be?
    if you gone do it..do it right..

shoo..i not sitting here drinking beet juice smoothies for nothing..lol...so i will enjoy it when i get it and get it like it suppose to be got!!!

but not to derail the thread..maybe nica have some healthy ideas..options she can share..

..but i dont want dem:
    BELLY FULL BUT DEM STARVIN'

Quote Originally Posted by BABYLOC View Post
    if you gone do it..do it right..

shoo..i not sitting here drinking beet juice smoothies for nothing..lol...so i will enjoy it when i get it and get it like it suppose to be got!!!

but not to derail the thread..maybe nica have some healthy ideas..options she can share..

..but i dont want dem:
    but *YUCK* @ beet juice, sounds terrible! Problem is the fam not content to wait for my cheat day to eat the bad/good stuff so if I can figure better ways to cook it we might be able to compromise.

-Dr Yosef ben-Jochannan

LOL@Betty Crocker Nica...

first time seeing this thread... :
    Babyloc does have a point with the comment she posted.

That's one of the markets I target. I use a lot of healthier options in my recipes. I have quite a bit on there that can categorize under cooking light or healthy eating.

For instance I use whole wheat pasta or veggie infused pasta and I have been for over 5 years. I rarely used canned and processed foods in my recipes. I use lean meats and when I cook chicken I cut out the fat. I do a lot from scratch that way I have more control on what goes in. I make my own salad dressings. If something calls for stock, I sub with water as that cuts down the sodium.

There are a number of ways to cut calories or use healthier options in recipes. But I do keep my own arsenal of comfort foods for cheat days :

My cook book (which is in progress) will have healthy tasty recipes.

i've seen health recipes where they substitute one thing for another... people simply have to get used to it.. believe me.. its just habit.. if you cooked it and it tasted similar most folks wouldnt even be able to tell.. lol

yea i doh mind healthy eating but if u having a cookout celebration or gathering and u play u giving ppl the healthy version to eat and d food sufferin dah go be a major fail eh....

you dont have to tell them that its healthier, just offer the food, who doh want it will starve... lol.. make sure it tasty.. lol.. daiz all.. people like too much shit yes.. cos i know for a fact that them country time pink lemonade and lemonade was the exact same and in tasting trials people was like hmm this one is so much better etc etc.. when in reality is just food coloring in the pink one.. smh lol

Cooking healthy and being healthy shouldn't sound like a chore or fight. Eating food should be enjoyable. the key is all about self-control.
    Chen ki japé pa mòde!

LOL@ Gluten free Roti, that shit would be like eating styrofoam.

LOL@ a way to make macaroni pie with less cheese, the cheese is the macaroni pie, less cheese no pie.

Quote Originally Posted by limintrinibwoy View Post
    yea i doh mind healthy eating but if u having a cookout celebration or gathering and u play u giving ppl the healthy version to eat and d food sufferin dah go be a major fail eh....
    taste and appearance of food is very important to me... I sub healthy ingredients all the time and best believe my food is amazing

People in Trinidad don't believe in that health food nonsense

No offence meant