Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New York jobs: Most want you to be bilingual!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    well i know growing up many people will pretend to be able to not speak english....choosing to not speak it is 1 thing, so dont get it twisted for thinking they cannot speak it. if a person cannot speak english and have been here for that long they would be in the minority, and elderly person like you said your friends parents who would not really be a factor in regards to where the professional world is concerend....those people if they even are still working may be custodians or some shit.
    Who's getting anything twisted...lol I grew up in a tri-lingual household I know all about people pretending they can't speak English. I'm saying from personal experience is plenty people who living here 20 years and can't speak english beyond a very basic level, truth be told if you live among your own people you don't have any need for it.

Anyway, what jobs do you think you could get in foreign only speaking English and not the local language? You'd probably be utterly unemployable tbh.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    Who's getting anything twisted...lol I grew up in a tri-lingual household I know all about people pretending they can't speak English. I'm saying from personal experience is plenty people who living here 20 years and can't speak english beyond a very basic level, truth be told if you live among your own people you don't have any need for it.

Anyway, what jobs do you think you could get in foreign only speaking English and not the local language? You'd probably be utterly unemployable tbh.
    so now it went from not speaking english to speaking english at a basic level...i would maybe not be able to get de best job but i would definately be able to get a job...if i wanted to go work overseas in japan why would i not want to learn japanese? but i live in north america

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Curry Crab n Dumplin View Post
    they EXPECT me to speak THEIR language, which I don't mind...but then they get pissed off cause I have an accent too...what you think about that?
    My Abuelo would always tell me, ppl act as if they dont understand my english, yet I can understand the broken 1/2 assed spanish gringos speak
    Hibernation is a covert preparation for a more overt action.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    so now it went from not speaking english to speaking english at a basic level...i would maybe not be able to get de best job but i would definately be able to get a job...if i wanted to go work overseas in japan why would i not want to learn japanese? but i live in north america
    A very basic level is for all intensive purposes not speaking English. Most people graduate high school with basic Spanish but you wouldn't in a million years claim that 50% of Americans are Spanish-speakers.

Yes you live in N America but you live in a globalised North America. People's contacts and clients span many continents and many languages, and people's jobs are getting outsourced at rapid rates while foreigners are continuing to take up the cheap labour. Like I said, you may well find yourself leaving North America soon or living in a North America that is demographically VERY different so why not at least have some kind of knowledge of a second language?
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    A very basic level is for all intensive purposes not speaking English. Most people graduate high school with basic Spanish but you wouldn't in a million years claim that 50% of Americans are Spanish-speakers.

Yes you live in N America but you live in a globalised North America. People's contacts and clients span many continents and many languages, and people's jobs are getting outsourced at rapid rates while foreigners are continuing to take up the cheap labour. Like I said, you may well find yourself leaving North America soon or living in a North America that is demographically VERY different so why not at least have some kind of knowledge of a second language?
    so u think them people around the world wouldnt learn english also as this happens? if i had the chance to learn another language thats cool, but how much would it truly benefit me now. it may look good on a resume but realistically if those people are learning english (which they are) theres no need for me to learn their language. what will really matter is how i do the work. translation is not a big problem bro...soon computers will be able to do dat shit for u anyways.

Credits
    Translators will always be in high demand, and it will always be a high paying job.
    Computers can not replace the human interaction. Not to mention differences in dialect etc.
    It baffles me how some Africans (and even Europeans for that matter) can speak 5 or more languages, while other ppl in the world can barely speak 1....
    Hibernation is a covert preparation for a more overt action.

Credits
    thats what you think...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123