Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New York jobs: Most want you to be bilingual!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    Apparently not, if there are job ads looking for bilingual workers.
    still nah mek it necessary

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy V. View Post
    still nah mek it necessary
    Why wouldn't you do something or acquire a skill that could help you in the future?

Besides, you never know where life takes you. The American ship of prosperity is sinking fast and in 20 years you just might find yourself immigrating to a next country to find work yourself.
    "sa ki ta'w sé ta'w, la rivié pé pa chayé'l "

Father, before mi mind get bad
    Betta yuh flip it round and mek mi mind get mad
    Mi prefer fi work hard everyday fi achieve mi goals
    Nah grudge nobody fi dem own

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SKBai1991 View Post
    Why wouldn't you do something or acquire a skill that could help you in the future?

Besides, you never know where life takes you. The American ship of prosperity is sinking fast and in 20 years you just might find yourself immigrating to a next country to find work yourself.
    you wasting your time Fella
    the man is a drop out

Credits

this is an anglophone world...if i could learn another language thats fine but it is still far from necessary. if it was that important like another member said the government would ensure all yutes graduate from highschool bilingual.....

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Capitaine View Post
    you wasting your time Fella
    the man is a drop out
    what are you doing with your language skills? i bet your a taxi driver

Credits
    this is an anglophone world...if i could learn another language thats fine but it is still far from necessary. if it was that important like another member said the government would ensure all yutes graduate from highschool bilingual.....
    LOL man only 1/6 of the global population speaks English...the overwhelming majority of the people in this planet have no use for and don't speak English at all, the only truly anglophone countries are the UK, Ireland, US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Just because the government doesn't make it necessary doesn't mean its unimportant. Legally the government doesn't even make it necessary for you to graduate high school period, you're free to leave at 16. Most people graduate high school incompetent in maths and sciences so clearly the government isn't a very good yardstick for what is important in life.

Credits
    LOL man only 1/6 of the global population speaks English...the overwhelming majority of the people in this planet have no use for and don't speak English at all, the only truly anglophone countries are the UK, Ireland, US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Just because the government doesn't make it necessary doesn't mean its unimportant. Legally the government doesn't even make it necessary for you to graduate high school period, you're free to leave at 16. Most people graduate high school incompetent in maths and sciences so clearly the government isn't a very good yardstick for what is important in life.
    dont get me wrong if u have the opportunity to learn a new language more power to you.... but look at this map and tell me if you think its required to learn a 2nd language again. you think more and more people arent learning english but i think the opposite....more and more people are learning english and countries like china and india are making huge efforts to teach their youth the language. american media and sports is popular all over the world and people want to be apart of it....everyone wants to go to hollywood play in the nba etc...this is an anglophone world. even more countries than they color in the map have ties to the anglophone world btw

Last edited by Daddy V.; 09-14-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Poca
    Ok Buddy, stay with ur English.

Credits

This was his mission accomplished moment
    Last edited by Capitaine; 09-14-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    Ok Buddy, stay with ur English.
    english? wouldnt dat be the same language yuh speaking to me right now...

Credits
    dont get me wrong if u have the opportunity to learn a new language more power to you.... but look at this map and tell me if you think its required to learn a 2nd language again. you think more and more people arent learning english but i think the opposite....more and more people are learning english and countries like china and india are making huge efforts to teach their youth the language. american media and sports is popular all over the world and people want to be apart of it....everyone wants to go to hollywood play in the nba etc...this is an anglophone world

You seriously overestimate America's global position. Looking at that map, you can clearly see that the majority of the world is in grey, not blue.

People do enjoy American media and popular culture, but rather than simply consume the American variety, more and more countries are instead re-writing the script to suit their own needs. Look at Bollywood, they basically re-write hollywood templates in Hindi. Look at K-Pop and J-Pop..carbon copies of American pop but in Korean and Japanese. Even foreign Hip Hop is mostly in foreign tongues, English is the most studied second language but it is not the dominant language worldwide.

Aside from that, do you SERIOUSLY think you can go to any non-anglophone country for any extended amount of time and not have to speak the local language? Even if more and more people are learning English, that doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of people do not know it and have little use for it. Hell, many AMERICANS have lived here for decades, don't speak English and have little use for it so why would you reasonably think you could get by for extended periods abroad without English?
    Last edited by SKBai1991; 09-14-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Credits
    You seriously overestimate America's global position. Looking at that map, you can clearly see that the majority of the world is in grey, not blue.

People do enjoy American media and popular culture, but rather than simply consume the American variety, more and more countries are instead re-writing the script to suit their own needs. Aside from that, do you SERIOUSLY think you can go to any non-anglophone country for any extended amount of time and not have to speak the local language? Even if more and more people are learning English, that doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of people do not know it and have little use for it. Hell, many AMERICANS have lived here for decades, don't speak English and have little use for it so why would you reasonably think you could get by for extended periods abroad without English?
    tell me where i can find americans that have lived in america for decades and dont know any english....they may not be able to speak it well but of course they can communicate in it. please tell me where I can find americans who have been here for decades and cant speak any english
    Last edited by Daddy V.; 09-14-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Credits
    tell me where i can find americans that have lived in america for decades and dont know any english....they may not be able to speak it well but of course they can communicate in it. please tell me where I can find americans who have been here for decades and cant speak english
    Brighton Beach
    Washington Heights
    Richmond Hill
    South Bronx
    Flushing
    Chinatown

I live in New York...some of my friends parents have lived here for 20 years and they can barely speak any English besides basic greetings. If you live in a neighbourhood where everyone is your ethnic group (including your boss), there's really no need to learn English and in many cases you can go DAYS without hearing a word of it spoken in person.

Credits
    Brighton Beach
    Washington Heights
    Richmond Hill
    South Bronx
    Flushing
    Chinatown

I live in New York...some of my friends parents have lived here for 20 years and they can barely speak any English besides basic greetings. If you live in a neighbourhood where everyone is your ethnic group (including your boss), there's really no need to learn English and in many cases you can go DAYS without hearing a word of it spoken in person.
    well i know growing up many people will pretend to be able to not speak english....choosing to not speak it is 1 thing, so dont get it twisted for thinking they cannot speak it. if a person cannot speak english and have been here for that long they would be in the minority, and elderly person like you said your friends parents who would not really be a factor in regards to where the professional world is concerend....those people if they even are still working may be custodians or some shit.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    I wanna learn more languages, I am not opposed to that but why those foreigners who cyah speak English just try and learn so I could get a job.
    Where I work, being bilingual is a requirement...yes, we are a U.S. Territory (bla bla bla)...but we are still a primarily Spanish-speaking country...yet, when Americans walk through the door at my job, they EXPECT me to speak THEIR language, which I don't mind...but then they get pissed off cause I have an accent too...what you think about that? Some of them even live here and they still carry on like dat...sorry, but from my experiences, nuff of them want everybody to accommodate and facilitate everything for them, but flip it around and Americans living in America don't wanna hear no shit about having to learn a second language for their jobs, it's like kryptonite to them.

My point? Right now you could go almost anywhere in the world as a tourist, and there will be people willing to bend over backwards for you as an American and speak your language...but most of you wouldn't do the same for them. If you live in an area where they have plenty people who speak Kreyol for example...I'd strongly urge you to go take a course or something...not only would you be gaining knowledge...but you'd be opening up so many opportunities for yourself man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast