Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New York City

Hadha min fadhle Rabbi Juancito Trucupey's Avatar Juancito Trucupey is offline
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    I find that to be an exaggeration
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy View Post
    the robbing and getting shot yes is an exaggeration, but her observations especially about the subway are on point. Compared to what she's used to it is filthy and disgusting.
    Yeah no one can deny that

It's ppl who swear if they even say the word new york they will be shot and robbed...i tell them constantly it is not even that bad they just watch too much tv...everywhere is unsafe
    Beija-flor minha escola,Minha vida, meu amor

Credits
    I find New York City to be safer than New Orleans......

I live is a suburb of new orleans and it's safe there.... we have our own police department there and they be on it..... but downtown new orleans (not the french quarter) can be like a warzone with all dem ignorant folk with guns
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits

Cool

I think I once told Mother that if I am hurt or killed during the next Strike Against NYC, that she should not view it as a loss

I have done my work and have had plenty fun along the way so if the Neteru beckons, so be it

Nonetheless, I am having quite the time now and wouldn't mind sticking around to, among other things, witness the birth of our third, so please practice precision...\o/

Poca
    the robbing and getting shot yes is an exaggeration, but her observations especially about the subway are on point. Compared to what she's used to it is filthy and disgusting.
    Well I doubt that people ARE indeed that crazy in NYC, but this is what she had advised us. I must admit that I didn't visit all that NYC has to offer and my time there was very very short. But the metro shocked the hell out of me. I really really didn't think that it was like that. I used to complain about the Guy concordia metro station in Montreal and i know now that it can be much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nica View Post
    Well compared to Montreal is a dumpsite..... but not all the trains and stations are disgusting. I ride the 4,5,6 and those trains are usually clean.... floors and seats wiped...no graffiti....(those are kinda new)
    The trains to me were ok, it was more the stations, the fact that the walls and floors looked so dirty. and also the fact that you can actually see trash on the train track. Anyway on a positive note, NYC has a lot more metro station than mtl which is a very good things. But it is also confusing, well at least for someone like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pano View Post
    +2

Yeah no one can deny that

It's ppl who swear if they even say the word new york they will be shot and robbed...i tell them constantly it is not even that bad they just watch too much tv...everywhere is unsafe

I agree with you, I told her that it cannot be that bad. Apparently rent is so bad that she (my friend) had to go live in a very very dangerous area (east New York). She said that people are being shot everyday, but as an int. student with Canadian loan to support American spending she doesn't have choice.

on a different note, I enjoyed the fact that the metro runs 24-7, that there are lots and lots of shops and malls. I went to Time Square and it was something to see all those screens just like on TV. I went to Ground Zero but there was not much to see, so we went to Century 21. I also went on Wall Street. I wished i had went to Central park, but that would be for my next visit.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    on a different note, I enjoyed the fact that the metro runs 24-7, that there are lots and lots of shops and malls. I went to Time Square and it was something to see all those screens just like on TV. I went to Ground Zero but there was not much to see, so we went to Century 21. I also went on Wall Street. I wished i had went to Central park, but that would be for my next visit.
    you sound like me when I first came to the states and first arrived in NY. LOL well minus the ground zero part....the towers were still there when I lived in NY. Century 21 is one of the best stores to get nice cheap gifts if you 4got someones bday or something along those lines. MY aunt spends countless sums of money in there when she goes back to Panama LOL...

Poca
    lol, my friend's mother nearly died because we didn't take her to Bobby. For Haitian folks, this store is apparently the STORE to go to. so we went on friday to the one on church and she spent hours in there.

Credits
    lol, my friend's mother nearly died because we didn't take her to Bobby. For Haitian folks, this store is apparently the STORE to go to. so we went on friday to the one on church and she spent hours in there.
    such a FOB...(no offense) stories like that crack me up...I remember when my cousin first got to NY...they had never been on a train before...needless to say we rode up and down the tracks all day on the same freakin train...

Credits
    I agree with you, I told her that it cannot be that bad. Apparently rent is so bad that she (my friend) had to go live in a very very dangerous area (east New York). She said that people are being shot everyday, but as an int. student with Canadian loan to support American spending she doesn't have choice.

[/QUOTE]
    Well after all its East New York most people on here will agree its one of the poorest places in NYC and one of de more dangerous areas.
    @ bobbies Caribbean ppl rel luv that store

Credits

The trains to me were ok, it was more the stations, the fact that the walls and floors looked so dirty. and also the fact that you can actually see trash on the train track. Anyway on a positive note, NYC has a lot more metro station than mtl which is a very good things. But it is also confusing, well at least for someone like me.

oh... I find east ny scary... I walked one block on rocakaway ave. and I was scared to death .... :
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    Well I doubt that people ARE indeed that crazy in NYC, but this is what she had advised us. I must admit that I didn't visit all that NYC has to offer and my time there was very very short. But the metro shocked the hell out of me. I really really didn't think that it was like that. I used to complain about the Guy concordia metro station in Montreal and i know now that it can be much worse.

I'm very very disappointed in you....

anyways, here's something you should take in account when comparing to other places.

MTA New York City Transit. It is one of the oldest and most extensive public transportation systems in the world, with 468 stations in operation (422 if stations connected by transfers are counted as a single station) [1], 229 miles (369 km) of routes,[4] translating into 656 miles (1056 km) of revenue track, and a total of 842 miles (1355 km) including non-revenue trackage.[5] In 2007, the subway delivered over 1.562 billion rides, averaging over 5 million every weekday, 2.9 million on Saturdays, and 2.2 million on Sundays.[1] The New York City Subway trails only the metro systems of Tokyo, Moscow and Seoul in annual ridership and carries more passengers than all other rail mass transit systems in the United States combined. Among the world's busiest metro systems it is the only one to run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.[6]

The subway is constantly undergoing renovation and expansion. Current expansion projects include the Second Avenue Subway on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, the 7 Subway Extension to the west side of Manhattan, Fulton Street Transit Center and the new South Ferry Terminal.[7]
    Girly boy why do you get such a kick out of dissing women? - Namey Namey

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

Everyone knows MÉCHANT LOUP is a jackass, but a pedophile? - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP a battyman. - Namey Namey

Credits
    In any city or nation...

There will always be a Hot spot where crime & violence exist, even on a small scale.

You don't act proper, you just act angry. You act like a angry racist white new york cop.-Namey Namey

MÉCHANT LOUP like women? The only thing MÉCHANT LOUP like more than hearing that a blackman was gunned down by cops, is a hairy man ass. - Namey Namey

Credits
    I think this is a very important point

Canada has some ;if not the; cleanest cities in north america.
    NYC is probably one of the dirtiest.

taking that into account canucks like you and her may see nyc as utterly disgusting and one notch above a landfill.

Credits
    Rina have you've been on the L.I.RR or Metro-North?

If so, do you think it's better than the "Go" train?

Credits

That station is spotless compared to some I've seen in new york

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    I'm very very disappointed in you....

anyways, here's something you should take in account when comparing to other places.

MTA New York City Transit. It is one of the oldest and most extensive public transportation systems in the world, with 468 stations in operation (422 if stations connected by transfers are counted as a single station) [1], 229 miles (369 km) of routes,[4] translating into 656 miles (1056 km) of revenue track, and a total of 842 miles (1355 km) including non-revenue trackage.[5] In 2007, the subway delivered over 1.562 billion rides, averaging over 5 million every weekday, 2.9 million on Saturdays, and 2.2 million on Sundays.[1] The New York City Subway trails only the metro systems of Tokyo, Moscow and Seoul in annual ridership and carries more passengers than all other rail mass transit systems in the United States combined. Among the world's busiest metro systems it is the only one to run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.[6]

The subway is constantly undergoing renovation and expansion. Current expansion projects include the Second Avenue Subway on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, the 7 Subway Extension to the west side of Manhattan, Fulton Street Transit Center and the new South Ferry Terminal.[7]
    Key word there is "OLDEST"....
    but u have to admit...
    Its really not an attractive metro system...
    I still see some resemblence of the subway from the old 1970's movies.. just less graffitti (sp)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast