Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New Guyanese movie

Credits

New Guyanese movie

"Best Guyanese and Caribbean movie ever made?" I don't know, I've been highly disappointed by those claims before. We'll see...

New Film: Mahadeo Shivraj’s “A Jasmine for a Gardener”

The National Cultural Centre (NCC) in Georgetown, Guyana, recently screened the latest film by Guyanese director Mahadeo Shivraj, A Jasmine for a Gardener. The film will then be screened in Essequibo and Berbice.

This Bollywood type movie, which features six timeless, classical Indian songs, is the second film produced by Mahadeo Shivraj and the Dramatic Arts Academy.

President Donald Ramotar, who attended the screening with First Lady Deolatchmee Ramotar, commented: “It is something we can all be proud of….we should encourage more of this in Guyana, so that we can eventually build a good film industry that will promote our culture.”

According to the Guyana Chronicle, the film tells the story of a girl who is forced into marriage by her parents for the sake of wealth, but who defies their wishes to follow her heart and the quest for happiness. Shivraj, who is the producer/director of the film, also plays a lead role. The cast includes Neaz Subhan, Nazim Hussain, Rajan Tiwari, Mark Kazim, Bhavana Samtani, Gem Madhoo-Nascimento, and Dimple Mendonca.

A Jasmine for a Gardener was screened eight times in New York and was ranked by the viewing audience as the best Guyanese and Caribbean movie ever made.

For full article, see A Jasmine for a Gardener

Also see Guyanese made feature film to debut in N.Y
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    "Best Guyanese and Caribbean movie ever made?" I don't know, I've been highly disappointed by those claims before. We'll see...

New Film: Mahadeo Shivraj’s “A Jasmine for a Gardener”

The National Cultural Centre (NCC) in Georgetown, Guyana, recently screened the latest film by Guyanese director Mahadeo Shivraj, A Jasmine for a Gardener. The film will then be screened in Essequibo and Berbice.

This Bollywood type movie, which features six timeless, classical Indian songs, is the second film produced by Mahadeo Shivraj and the Dramatic Arts Academy.

President Donald Ramotar, who attended the screening with First Lady Deolatchmee Ramotar, commented: “It is something we can all be proud of….we should encourage more of this in Guyana, so that we can eventually build a good film industry that will promote our culture.”

According to the Guyana Chronicle, the film tells the story of a girl who is forced into marriage by her parents for the sake of wealth, but who defies their wishes to follow her heart and the quest for happiness. Shivraj, who is the producer/director of the film, also plays a lead role. The cast includes Neaz Subhan, Nazim Hussain, Rajan Tiwari, Mark Kazim, Bhavana Samtani, Gem Madhoo-Nascimento, and Dimple Mendonca.

A Jasmine for a Gardener was screened eight times in New York and was ranked by the viewing audience as the best Guyanese and Caribbean movie ever made.

For full article, see A Jasmine for a Gardener

Also see Guyanese made feature film to debut in N.Y
    Looks like it will be a nice movie but there don't seem to be many if any Afro-Guyanese in that movie. Is there a reason for that?
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

NaturalBornRidah
    Steups , not interested in a Bollywood movie. luckily it would stay in that arena.

Credits
    i support everything guyanese, but damn...

Credits
    it only have indian in guyana? best caribbean movie meh baxide....

Credits
    alyuh quick to run in and bash de show, what wrong with having mainly Indo Caribbean characters? u know if it was only Blacks alyuh wouldna be quareling!

Guyana is mainly Indian inno, so to have a movie depicting interacting among Indian people is plausible.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    alyuh quick to run in and bash de show, what wrong with having mainly Indo Caribbean characters? u know if it was only Blacks alyuh wouldna be quareling!

Guyana is mainly Indian inno, so to have a movie depicting interacting among Indian people is plausible.
    I don't know why some people on Imix are so narrow-minded.
    Can't they just enjoy the movie for what it is?
    Has there always got to be some sort of hidden racial agenda behind an innocent Guyanese family movie that seems to have a great storyline?
    TheEducator likes this.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits

shut it

we are not defined by race..or well, we shouldnt be...lol

indians are the majority but thats like a 2% or 3% gap

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR HYPE View Post
    shut it

we are not defined by race..or well, we shouldnt be...lol

indians are the majority but thats like a 2% or 3% gap
    Indos are a solid 50+ percent of Guyana

Credits
    dont speak of what u dont know.....ok

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MR HYPE View Post
    dont speak of what u dont know.....ok
    I mean it is not farfetched to have young Indo people interacting mainly among themselves, when Guyana has so much Indians!

you all bash to shreds the ting and only see a clip..shame on alyuh, no wonder why Guyana is yet to define their culture.

Credits
    I mean it is not farfetched to have young Indo people interacting mainly among themselves, when Guyana has so much Indians!

you all bash to shreds the ting and only see a clip..shame on alyuh, no wonder why Guyana is yet to define their culture.

where did i bash anything? u r one confused soul...

MR HYPE i support everything guyanese, but damn...
    do u even know what i was referring to?

NaturalBornRidah
    Indians are around 43% in Guyana so they are not the majority, they may be the largest ethnic group , but not the majority, get your facts straight.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornRidah View Post
    Indians are around 43% in Guyana so they are not the majority, they may be the largest ethnic group , but not the majority, get your facts straight.
    that must be was the last census, ten years ago.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornRidah View Post
    actually in the 80s and 90s they were about 51% but with migration and race mixing they are no longer that high up..

i really dont care, got love fo rmy indians, my greatgrandfather was indian... whole family mixed up.....so for someone to tell me i am being biased is rather idiotic...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast