Thread: Murder rocks 'Little Guyana'

LGN
    Credits

Murder rocks 'Little Guyana'

Via BBC Caribbean

The murder of a Guyana-born New Yorker by a Hispanic has led many Indo Caribbean people in New York to conclude that it was a racial crime and that they are under threat though the evidence is it was a simple attack, without racial motive.
    The New York Police Department has not classified the killing of Jagat Ram Balram, a 52-year-old bus mechanic from Guyana as a hate crime, but members of the city's Indo Caribbean community believe it should be.

Members of the community believe their success in opening businesses and buying houses in the Richmond Hill area of Queens, New York has made them the target of jealous African-Americans, Italians and Latinos.

Guyana-born attorney Albert Baldeo, who is running for New York City Council later this year, told BBC Caribbean Radio about a number of recent racially motivated incidents that have taken place in the in the Richmond Hill area, also known as Little Guyana.

There was another attack outside a restaurant in Richmond Hill, where four Sikhs were beaten up and there were remarks made about their headgear and that was very racial

Albert Baldeo, Guyanese-born New York attorney

"Three months ago there was another family known as the Beharry family, where a parolee went into the home and killed the father," he said.

"There was another attack outside a restaurant in Richmond Hill, where four Sikhs were beaten up and there were remarks made about their headgear and that was very racial."

Italian victims

Italian-Americans were involved in all the attacks on Indo Caribbean people mentioned by Baldeo.

And though Indo Caribbean people complain about resentment from African-American and from Latinos, it is the Italians, who dominated many of the neighbourhoods now know as Little Guyana, that have been hardest on them.

Joseph Scelsa, director of the Italian American Museum in New York said he doesn’t excuse the attacks by Italians, but he wants people to know that Italians have also been victims of racial prejudice in America.

"In the south they were considered to be not quite white, we've been called 'dego wap' and 'guinny'. In Louisana they were lynched, in Mississippi they were not allowed to go into white schools, so there's a racial dynamic to this as well," he said.

Baldeo said if the NYPD and the District Attorney's office is convinced Jagat Ram Balram's death was not a hate crime, he wants them to issue statement saying so to ensure that tensions do not increase in the area.

I dont what going on up in new york are indo-caribbeans being picked on????
    Last edited by LGN; 03-04-2005 at 08:29 PM.

Credits
    I can't believe Italians still living in Queens after seeing Spike Lee Movie "Do the Right Thing"

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by vassell junior
    Via BBC Caribbean

The murder of a Guyana-born New Yorker by a Hispanic has led many Indo Caribbean people in New York to conclude that it was a racial crime and that they are under threat though the evidence is it was a simple attack, without racial motive.
    The New York Police Department has not classified the killing of Jagat Ram Balram, a 52-year-old bus mechanic from Guyana as a hate crime, but members of the city's Indo Caribbean community believe it should be.

Members of the community believe their success in opening businesses and buying houses in the Richmond Hill area of Queens, New York has made them the target of jealous African-Americans, Italians and Latinos.

Guyana-born attorney Albert Baldeo, who is running for New York City Council later this year, told BBC Caribbean Radio about a number of recent racially motivated incidents that have taken place in the in the Richmond Hill area, also known as Little Guyana.

There was another attack outside a restaurant in Richmond Hill, where four Sikhs were beaten up and there were remarks made about their headgear and that was very racial

Albert Baldeo, Guyanese-born New York attorney

"Three months ago there was another family known as the Beharry family, where a parolee went into the home and killed the father," he said.

"There was another attack outside a restaurant in Richmond Hill, where four Sikhs were beaten up and there were remarks made about their headgear and that was very racial."

Italian victims

Italian-Americans were involved in all the attacks on Indo Caribbean people mentioned by Baldeo.

And though Indo Caribbean people complain about resentment from African-American and from Latinos, it is the Italians, who dominated many of the neighbourhoods now know as Little Guyana, that have been hardest on them.

Joseph Scelsa, director of the Italian American Museum in New York said he doesn’t excuse the attacks by Italians, but he wants people to know that Italians have also been victims of racial prejudice in America.

"In the south they were considered to be not quite white, we've been called 'dego wap' and 'guinny'. In Louisana they were lynched, in Mississippi they were not allowed to go into white schools, so there's a racial dynamic to this as well," he said.

Baldeo said if the NYPD and the District Attorney's office is convinced Jagat Ram Balram's death was not a hate crime, he wants them to issue statement saying so to ensure that tensions do not increase in the area.

I dont what going on up in new york are indo-caribbeans being picked on????
    Is this guy a facking idiot!!!!!!!! this must be a joke....Italians get lynched in the south???? I think I've heard it all now. I've really facking heard it all.

Credits
    It is a two way street..

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy
    Is this guy a facking idiot!!!!!!!! this must be a joke....Italians get lynched in the south???? I think I've heard it all now. I've really facking heard it all.

isn't it funny how people like to equate their hardships and struggles to those of what people of color experienced and are still experiencing