Thread: Mr. Panday vows to fight until he dies....

Credits

Mr. Panday vows to fight until he dies....

'Fight until I die'

Panday in election race come January 24

Stories by Anna Ramdass aramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Wednesday, November 25th 2009

?

SOMETHING FUNNY: Caroni East MP Dr Tim Gopeesingh, right, shares a light moment with Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday during the UNC's Monday Night Forum at the Spring Village Community Centre, Valsayn. At left is Panday's wife, Oma. -Photo:CURTIS CHASE

For over 40 years, Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday has devoted his life to politics and, with a fighting spirit and a tone set for battle, he roared on Monday that he is not going anywhere.

In fact, he will be defending his position as political leader of the United National Congress (UNC) at the party’s internal elections come January 24.

If he wins, this means that Panday would be leading the UNC into what may be his last political battle with the PNM at the next general elections.

Panday, who turned 76 this year, slapped all those who have been calling for him to step down as leader, saying he will fight for the people till he dies.

’I want to make an announcement tonight. You see on the 24th of January, I shall be contesting the elections in the UNC as the political leader of the party. And, I want to tell you something, I am going to have a slate also for you to elect an executive that I can work with,’ said Panday.

’...So that those who think or wishing that I will die or that I will commit political suicide, let me tell you here and now, I have no such inclination. I will live until I die, obviously,’ said Panday.

He made the declaration at the party’s weekly Monday night forum at the Spring Village Community Centre, Valsayn.

The National Assembly of the UNC is scheduled to meet at the Rienzi Complex, Couva, on Sunday to affirm the January 24 date for the party’s internal elections.

Panday joked that people have called on him to go, asking, ’Go where?’

He said other calls have been made for him to ride off into the sunset but quipped, ’Where the horse?’, invoking laughter from the audience.

He said there are those who want his position to become vacant so there would be a vacuum which they would fill to get the support of the people. However, he stressed that he will defend the leadership.

On the issue of unity with the Congress of the People (COP), Panday took to task an article published in this paper where COP member Stephen Kangal accused him (Panday) of double dealing and not being truthful with the date on which he sent a letter of invitation to COP leader Winston Dookeran.

Panday stressed that at the end of the day, even if there was a mix up with the dates, Dookeran received the letter.

He re-read the letter where he requested Dookeran to meet to discuss the COP’s document entitled ’The People’s Charter’ as well as constitutional reform.

’I am awaiting a response from Mr Dookeran,’ said Panday.

However, he said he believed that Dookeran does not want unity with the UNC and that the people must move to unite from the ground.

Panday said those who wish to lead must be ’willing to sacrifice your career and your life for 40 years...you must go down in the trenches with the people and eat with them, sleep with them and cry with them and when they stand, you stand with them.

’I am convinced there will be no unity from the top...my brothers and sisters, we are going to unite the people from the bottom and we shall win!’

Prior to Panday’s statement about his will to defend the leadership position, he was informing the people of the need for constitutional reform.

At this point in time an inebriated man from the audience shouted, ’Kamla is boss!’

Panday, who was visibly irritated by the interruption, said, ’I know they send you for that.’

’Sorry, boss,’ said the man as Panday asked him if he did not just say another person was the boss. The audience had a good laugh.

####Comments: 'Fight until I die'

?

There are no comments for this article.
    Living like Peggy, plotting like Joan

TC
    Credits
    I read this this morning. I wish he really would just hurry up and die...either that, or just walk away from Politics...preferably to someplace in a prison.

Credits
    Oh gosh TC..lol...I eh wish de man dead, but I jus wish he wud give somevody else a chance, gosh....he is delusional!

Credits
    I hope this didn't come as a surprise to anyone. People like Panday, Manning, et al hold this inflated view of themselves as possessing a right to rule for life. They are steeped in the culture of what the late Lloyd Best called Maximum Leadership and Doctor Politics. Creating environments whereby other people who they influenced or opend the gate for could assume leadership finds no support with these types of people.

The person who I have little respect for is Kamla, this woman is so educated, so well-qualified, so dynamic. Why in the hell is she still putting up with this disrespect?
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Credits
    Well if Manning could sit he stupid self in the PM mansion and continue to phuck up the country after all the years why can't Panday stay around forever too. Panday is not my concern at this point...Manning is! This incompetent imbecile will continue to hold the reins of power for the forseeable future....and this is coming from someone who grew up in a staunch PNM household.

Manning reminds me of Shaka Zulu...just show him shiny new buildings and he feels like he is accomplishing first world status...meanwhile the basics which really distinguish progressive societies from others...things like water, electricity, medical care, public safety, transportation...those things just seem to be an afterthought.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananci_7 View Post
    I hope this didn't come as a surprise to anyone. People like Panday, Manning, et al hold this inflated view of themselves as possessing a right to rule for life. They are steeped in the culture of what the late Lloyd Best called Maximum Leadership and Doctor Politics. Creating environments whereby other people who they influenced or opend the gate for could assume leadership finds no support with these types of people.

The person who I have little respect for is Kamla, this woman is so educated, so well-qualified, so dynamic. Why in the hell is she still putting up with this disrespect?
    That is the biggest problem about the political system in tnt. The maximum leadership thing is a pox that allows fools like manning and panday to remain around the neck of the country like an albatross.
    Last edited by dedetriniking; 11-25-2009 at 07:57 AM.

Credits
    VIVA PATRICK MANNING.

He is BRINGING TRINIDAD into the 21st CENTURY.

IF ARYO WAH ANOTHER STATE OF DE ART BUILDING to MEK aryo FEEL like ARYO PLAYING wid de BIG BOYS, MANNING go GET DAT FO ARYO.

YUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeee

Credits
    I agree, Patrick Manning eh no good either...but if UNC want to have a chanceahe next election, having Panday at de helm eh go do it....