Thread: Is it me or does real people try to claim .....

Credits

Is it me or does real people try to claim .....

Yesterday when I went to work, I was taking some time to get to know my new students (which I do each term) Anyway, usually the students tell me about themselves and one kid made me think about something I had seen happen before.

He first told me he was Liberian, but by the time I got to him again he say he was Trini. When I called him on it (in non-confrontational way, ofcourse) he said his ex-fiancee was a Trini and he was representing.

He not the first person I know to have a Trini lover and claim the whole damn country. I mean to a certain extent I understand. (My ex was a Trini and he got me into Trini culture--to this day I listen to soca almost daily and can usually spot a Trini on the street and atleast have some small talk about the comings and goings in Trinidad)

I mean whats up with that? Is it just me or has anybody else experienced this?

Credits

Re: Is it me or does real people try to claim .....

Originally posted by Nisha7
    to this day I listen to soca almost daily and can usually spot a Trini on the street and atleast have some small talk about the comings and goings in Trinidad)

How exactly do Trinis Look ( in a non confrontational way of course)?

Roz
    Credits

Re: Re: Is it me or does real people try to claim .....

Originally posted by Cimo 2
    How exactly do Trinis Look ( in a non confrontational way of course)?
    That is what I would like to know also!

Credits
    *DIES*
    Marcus Garvey said you would not know yourself till your back is against the wall. It gone through the wall now.

Credits
    Here we go...I dont claim to be a Trini expert but part of my job deals with ethnic identifcation.

Is definately a science and I realize that several ethnic groups make up all nationailties, but between observing visual determiners and dialects, it is possibe to make a very educated guess. Sometimes I don know how I get it right, but I just do and I am notorious around the office for my accuracy.

So if I offended you Sorry...just reporting my daily observations.

Credits
    Here we go...I dont claim to be a Trini expert but part of my job deals with ethnic identifcation.

Is definately a science and I realize that several ethnic groups make up all nationailties, but between observing visual determiners and dialects, it is possibe to make a very educated guess. Sometimes I don know how I get it right, but I just do and I am notorious around the office for my accuracy.

So if I offended you Sorry...just reporting my daily observations.

Nish, Nish it jus jokes. Trin's do joke right...lol.... Welcome to Imix. You takin us to serious... We get you(well I do not Roz, she's a trouble maker).

Credits
    Cimo,

I kinda stressed. My massage therapist say my shoulders about to pop off my body I so tense. So don mind me....:)

Credits
    Cimo,

I kinda stressed. My massage therapist say my shoulders about to pop off my body I so tense. So don mind me....:)
    i won't and to answer your question. Its easy to want to identify with a culture as strong as any caribbean culture is. Especially when your own might have failed you in some way. Caribbean ppl are some of the only ppl that take there culture every where they go. We love ourselves so much that once you come around us you must fall inlove with us too.. that is just one partial ans. If i had more time I would go into greater detail.

Credits
    Well I do agree that ya real love yourselves. I never see people so confident about themselves.

I just thought that was an interesting phenomenon. I mean he really was representing.....I thought he was bout to take out the flag.....

Credits
    I thought he was bout to take out the flag.....
    LOL at that ^^^^

But immitation is the best form of flattery....